• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'92 240 Charging Issue

Try manually slapping 12v to the exciter terminal via a jumper wire from battery positive or alt positive. It only needs one slap per drive.

The exciter wire commonly goes bad underneath the engine. I ran a new wire.

Out of curiosity, how much thread is left on your adjustment screw? I had mine almost bottomed out and could still spin the alternator pulley under the belt.

I don't remember, honestly. When I would adjust the alternator, I would just loosen the adjustment screw, push down on the alternator to the desired tension and re-tighten the screw. Don't know if this is the official way but it worked for me.

It depends on how bad your bushings are!

The alternator rocks and the tensioner screw runs out of threads. I bought a few new bushings from IPD this afternoon. Going to change them regardless. I was smelling something that I thought was belts, but I chalked it up to the new electric fan going thru its first couple heat cycles. With the bushing, I bet it was belt.

I'm down until tomorrow. The 16 year old tensioner screw snapped on me. Looks like an M6x100?

I think the adjuster screw is M6 x 70mm. If you have a 100mm bolt and need to shorten it. Screw on a couple M6 nuts past the new length. Then cut the bolt to length. Next use a file and smooth the end of the bolt so it tapers to a rounded flat end. Now unscrew the M6 nuts and it will form a good starter thread on the end of the bolt.

Thats interesting. my bushings are certainly worn out. Didn't think about that. I'll add this to the list of things to check. On a side note what is the correct belt tension? The haynes manual says .25 inch deflection if the pulleys are ~7" apart. -that all depends on the individual's strength though. :)

Another possible problem of worn bushings is pulley alignment (additional stress on altenator bearings)

After toying with it again today I discovered that that belt I had on there was impossible to tension properly (thus why the old adjuster screw broke). I could not back the alternator away from the block enough, it had hit the max adjustment in the tensioner bracket. I double checked the belt size, and it was a 36.5" belt that showed correct per Advance's and Autozone's website. I went to Autozone this time and got a 36" and 35.5" belt, got home and put the 36" on. it was too short.... Knowing the 35.5" would not work, I went back and swapped it for their flavor of the correct 36.5" belt and put it on. Perfect, and somehow smaller than the 36.5" belt I got from Advance 3 weeks ago. Tightened it all down and it is charging again. I have an old marine volt meter kicking around in the garage, I'm going to wire that up and watch it for the next few days until my new bushings come in.

Not sure what was up with the first belt I replaced 3 weeks ago, but that very well could have been the genesis of all my troubles this week.

Glad you got it sorted. Always good to have a volt gauge. Get a 52mm size one and you can buy the single gauge stuff for the dash on ebay to have one in the dash. I like to use the VDO cockpit and vision gauges.

Well the Autozone crap belt broke on me on the way to work today. Luckly I spotted it quickly, and was able to get it to a parking lot. Wife picked up a Dayco one from Advance, and I had it on in about 12 minutes (getting pretty good at this). Hopefully this one holds up better. Still looking for a 52mm volvo volt gauge if anyone has one.

Back