• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

91 740se.

replacing studs

Chigga - I researched H&R spacers with the longer studs and my understanding is that it's not all that tricky to get the new ones fitted to the hub. PLEASE NOTE, this is only an explanation of the procedure that was described to me, I HAVE NOT swapped in longer studs yet myself, but the process does sound plausible {<<< Disclaimer clause; flame or correct the following process as you see fit.}

To remove old stud from hub, use big hammer and a disposable lugnut threaded on to first few threads of stud to bang it out of the hub (lugnut protects threads if you care to save them). May need to check for clearance on back of hub so you don't knock the head of stud into the ABS tone ring behind hub(?).

If you aren't removing the tone ring to install new studs, the head of each new stud will need to be clearanced to allow it to get past tone ring.

Here is the trick to getting the studs to seat in the hub. After feeding the threaded part of stud through hole in hub, bringing it as far through as possible, put the spacer on the hub and then a washer over the stud fush to the spacer. Next put a good lugnut on the threads and tighten it up to get the stud to pull into the hub, seating it. Sot the trick is (alledgedly) to use the spacer to have something to take up the length of the stud and pull/tighten against. No repeat twenty times. ;)

Hope this helps and of course I'm not responsible if all it does is screw things up for you. Others please throw in any tips they think of. Chigga hope you'll report how you do eventually get the studs in, whatever method. Thanks. -Boozer

When i did the back, as i told Sam last night for the back, and yes, in front, the ABS may pose an issue, but i don't recall:

Remove the caliper

Remove the rotor

Remove the Ebrake spring on one side then you can rotate the hub to the open space in the assembly behind it and feed the new stud through.

Put the rotor on

I put a new stud through, put the end of an adjustable wrench down on the rotor face [tapered end to seat with the tapered end of the lug] and tighten, while holding the wrench to keep it from moving when tightening the lug down.

I have photos..

Update on July 6th

So the 16G/12B turbo went in, we faced some small problems but Phil did most of the work, I own the ****er. Ugh what! there are some small issues like a Garret CBV needs to be put in and spacers that will be done on saturday due to his busy schedule, so its all good.

old ported manifold + 16G turbo, too lazy to machine the 90+ manifold.
wOTkzODU3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

bye bye 13C
wOTkzODU4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

get the hell out of here already

wOTkzODU5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

WTF? A KIA MECH???? WTF IS THIS BS???? that's Phil btw, he's cool and he r0x0r cause I'm too fat to do any real work other than sit there.

wOTkzODYwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

and WTF? he drives a teg? I <3 the drop son, sick JDM sh1t.

wOTkzODYxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

there we go......

wOTkzODY4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

apparently my 13C is pretty mint, but seem the wastegate actuator is kinda bad, so the 90+ manifold with 13c will be for sale pretty soon.

more to come.

Chigga 744SE said:
WTF? A KIA MECH???? WTF IS THIS BS???? that's Phil btw, he's cool and he r0x0r cause I'm too fat to do any real work other than sit there.

wOTkzODYwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

and WTF? he drives a teg? I <3 the drop son, sick JDM sh1t.

wOTkzODYxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Phil has the "Well, i just broke something, but on someone elses car" look :)

Nice job, see you guys at CVCOA.

update, the spacers STILL HAVE YET to arrive, I'm going bizzark here, since I can't put the wheels on until they are here, me and Phil couldn't get time sorted so the turbo has yet to be finish with some final touches, car should be ready to roll this weekend with or without a headliner.

I got something for this week, Dave Barton's stickers & scantech sidemarkers from FCP, the odd thing is that there's not BULBS with the sidemarkers!!!!! what the hell? For $30usd I thought at least they'd come with bulbs, oh well.................

btw, anybody know where I can find LV vinyl?

wOTk5MTY5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

those are my clubbing glasses, so yea its pretty.

Update: Got CBV in, yali yada, took it out for boot, damn the bloody thing is loud, the turbo's sucking noise is as loud as say a 2JZ with T78, its bloody loud, at the same time the cbv is really quiet compare to a mistu one, I gotta go order a bov. Btw, the exhaust tone is different from my 90+ manifold, is this normal? it sounds pretty good in fact.

Problems: ONE, SPACERS TILL HAVE YET TO ARRIVE! I'm counting the minutes here, I'm going insane! TWO, the turbo sucks so hard that it's sucking oil out of the crankcase, so we going to block off the pipe and put a filter on the intake manifold, we found that out cause I smelled something burning and wonder what the hell it was, not to mention it was slower when loading to take off (I was real dissapointed when I tried to brake torque), I thought some part of the system is mess'd up, I gotta change the plugs anyways, but it was real slow from what I was expecting, so we took the hose off and saw oil been sucked in, HA, turbo sucks so hard that the oil is been sucked..... Or less restrictive filter. I LOVE this turbo already, can't wait to get it properly tune up, and not to mention ms'n's and a new tranny, but those will have to wait several months.

more pix 2morrow.

I washed the car finally on sunday and took it out for a boot, brakes works amazing when warm, the suspension is satisfactory (finally), and put on some stickers, still need to sort the breather part.

132073_633_full.jpg

132073_634_full.jpg

132073_636_full.jpg

I just got an e-mail from the shop, my spacers have arrived, only after about 2 months of wait.

HA, BOV is getting welded on saturday.

finally, picked 'em up, it only took 2 weeks from this place, dunno why took other guys 6 weeks to tell me that they are on back-order. YES, go wide or go home

132073_640_full.jpg

132073_641_full.jpg

Last edited:
With help of Phil (Ajax568) as of yesterday, August 16th, 2005, he helped me to install the spacers, I can't thank him enough for the help. Took pix with his Acura beater, I updated the first posts on info, so I'm not going to repeat myself, but thanks 100000000x Phil.

BOV
132073_642_full.jpg

the ABS ring that force us to remove the hub.
132073_643_full.jpg

looks bit small from this angle.
132073_644_full.jpg

Phil's Teg, its really REALLY low, like, may be 1 and 1/4 " of clearance.
132073_645_full.jpg

132073_646_full.jpg

my sweet sweet baby
132073_647_full.jpg

132073_648_full.jpg

132073_649_full.jpg

I got some 18x8 pegs, the offset is 46, so we'll see how it'll do with my 20mm spacers, I think they'll be ok, I'll probally use the old tires that are on my Hammans and get RT615 tires on the Hammans since they are only 35mm offset. And they will be refinish, don't like having too much silver, sometime its good for changes.

we'll see.

wMTA0MzkwMjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wMTA0MzkwMzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wMTA0MzkwNDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wMTA0MzkwNTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

what can I say, I like the big rubber look, and if we're going by diameter, I have only ~1 cm between the tires and the spring perches up front. 20mm spacing might cause issues in back though, I know my 235's rub at full lock in front up front with 25mm in front, although the smaller spacers should save you from the rear rubbing issues I've been having.

small updates:
e-codes should be here in 2 weeks.
pegs won't have tires til next spring
getting some re-called 13" R rotors for big brake mock up.
looking out for wb o2 for ms'n's
tranny hunt is still on, so time will tell.

Back