• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Advance/retard timing on EZ116K

BDKR said:
Not over here.
No, but here in the motherland it is.

But the Volvo mechanics/fault-tracers never mention the possibility of advancing the ignition. It seems like they only know about pin 18 and 19 and what they do respectively (-6? and -3?), but not what they can do together, or what they can do in combination with other pins...

What's the purpose behind those pins?

My dads '87 Opel Omega had a jumper in the trunk, to select the octane rating of the fuel...I think it was L-Jetronic too. 2.0i.

Morley said:
What's the purpose behind those pins?

My dads '87 Opel Omega had a jumper in the trunk, to select the octane rating of the fuel...I think it was L-Jetronic too. 2.0i.
Purpose: Being able to run a car on lower octane fuel by grounding pin 18 or 19.

The combination of 18+19 and other pins is probably not known by the shops. They only use those pins to stop pinging, never to increase the power and lower the tolerance for bad gas.

The Opel/Vauxhall Omega was equipped with an early version of Motronic (ML1.5), and all Motronic 1.x ECU?s has a switch or a jumper setup that can increase/decrease both ignition timing and fuel. Volvo also used those switches/jumpers on the Motronic equipped 740/760 with B230ET.

i just drove home (70 miles) with pin 18 and 19 grounded. car ran great, but impossible to tell if it was from the advance. I'll try to go to my volvo mechanic and borrow the timing light..

Hmm.....VADIS has no description of those pins...9, 18, 19, 21, 24 and 25 are "blank".
Hehe... There is a reason for that. They don?t want you to advance the timing too much and blow up the engine. Maybe the shops want to have the exclusive right of "fixing" the problems the customer may have (the retarding bit that is).

thelostartof said:
so this pulls back that much timing accross the board no? or only in certian area's of the power band ..
You can compare it directly with turning the dizzy on LH2.2. It statically advance/retards the timing.

so here is a question could you rig it up so at WOT at a particular RPM it ground certain pins.....that sounds kinda fun if you ask me...

Jonathan

Stereophile33 said:
so here is a question could you rig it up so at WOT at a particular RPM it ground certain pins.....that sounds kinda fun if you ask me...

Jonathan
Sure... some relays and rpm switches in combination with the WOT switch in the TPS could probably work very good.

sounds like fun .. and since we semi know a 90' block will take a 125 shot just fine on c16 with a 13c and no boost line on it(unlimited boost) ... that should be fun on a mod'd car

I thought that I might post this, just for information and further thoughts:

EZ116K:

1: OBD diagnostic socket (in some markets: serial interface)
2: Coolant temp sensor
3: Check Engine Light output, shared with ECU pin 22. Signals: 12-off, 1-on
4: PRE-IGNition, output to ECU pin 28. Signals: 0-Preign, 6.5-stable, 12-knock
5: 12v supply, constant
6: 12v supply, switched
7: Throttle idle switch
8: Load Signal Tq, from ECU pin 25
9:
10: Engine speed sensor
11: Engine speed sensor (shield)
12: Knock sensor (shield)
13: Knock sensor
14: EGR, Ground connector on engine (power ground)
15: EGR, converter, control
16: Igntion amplifier drive, trigger
17: Engine speed signal output. Signals: 6.5-cranking, >8-idle
18: Selector wire. Signals: 5v-disabled, grounded-enabled
19: Selector wire. Signals: 5v-disabled, grounded-enabled
20: Ground connector on engine (signal ground)
21:
22: EGR, temperature sensor
23: Engine speed sensor
24:
25:

LH2.4:

1: Engine speed signal input 6.5 - cranking, >8 - idle
2: TPS signal input 0.2 - Idle speed, 4 - Full load
3: TPS signal secondary input 1.0 - Idling, 10 - Full load
4: Power supply +30 input 12
5: Signal Ground 0.0 - Separate from power ground
6: Mass air flow 0.0 - Separate from power ground
7: Mass air flow input 2.0 - Idling, 5.0 - Full Load
8: Mass air flow, burn-off Output 4.0 - At burn-off, 0 -otherwise
9: Power supply from main input 12
10: Low-speed pressure sensor, engine cooling fan
11: A/C Time-delay Relay, High-speed pressure sensor, engine cooling fan
12: Diagnostics lead I/O
13: Temp Sensor input 4(-20C) -0.5(80C)
14: A/C, ACC load Signal input 12-Auto, 0-ECON
15: Jumper for cold start 0-no cold start, 12 cold start
16: Diagnostics Lead I/O
17: Chassis Ground
18: Injectors control signal Output 7.1Hz, 2.4-4.5ms
19: EGR Valve Output 12 - inactivated, <12 active
20: Fuel Pump relay signal 1-activ, 12-Ign on
21: Main relay operating circuit Output 1 - Ignition on, 12 - Ignition off
22: Check Engine Light Output 12-off, 1-on
23: EGR Temp Sensor input 4.5 -EGR closed, <4.5 -Open
24: Oxygen Sensor input 0.6 - 1.0 - Rich, 0.0 - 0.4 - Lean
25: Load Signal Tq EZK/DI Output Freq incr with throttle opening
26: Shift-Up light Output 12 - Not activated,0 - Activated
27: EVAP Canister purge valve Output 12 - Open, 1 - Closed
28: PRE-IGNition, DI/APC input 0-Preign, 6.5-stable, 12-knock
* Turbo+ Knock enrichment, trigger
* (B204FT/GT TCU) EGT sensor, trigger
29: Codification input 12 - Automatic transmission
30: Raising engine idle speed input 12-R,D,1,2,3, 0 - P,N, and manual
31: Consumption signal to EDU Output Freq incr with throttle opening
32: Cold start valve Output Battery voltage - Not activated
33: IAC valve Output 5-11 - Idling, no load
34: Speed Sensor input 6 -Rotating, 0 or 12 - Stationary
35: Power Supply +15 input 12-Ign on

TCU:

1: Turbo control valve (boost solenoid)
2:
3: OBD diagnostic socket
4: Relay, engine cooling fan, Control module ECC, ECU Pin 15
5: Relay, engine cooling fan
6: Blocking relay A/C
7: Throttle position (TP) switch/TP sensor
8: Throttle position (TP) switch/TP sensor
9: Temperature sensor TCU
10: Exhaust gas temperature sensor
11: High-speed pressure sensor, engine cooling fan
12: Low-speed pressure sensor, engine cooling fan
13: Combined instrument, speed sensor
14: Load Signal Tq, from ECU pin 25
15: 12v supply, constant
16:
17:
18:
19:
20: Ground connector on engine (signal ground)
21: Ground connector on engine (signal ground)
22:
23: 12v supply, switched
24: Throttle position (TP) switch/TP sensor, ground
25: Temperature sensor TCU, ground
26:
27:
28:
29:
30: PRE-IGNition, DI/APC Pin 4 input 0-Preign, 6.5-stable, 12-knock
31:
32:
33:
34:
35:

Last edited:
thanks for the extra info about the LH and EZ units!

I found a old timing light, but it was impossible to get a good reading :(
So i have to go to my shop to measure it...

Looks like a lot can be done with this.

Possible to use the serial connection to output anything? Or a piggyback type controller you could program to ground pins based on readings from diagnostics?

Heck, just a switch on the dash to control timing would be cool. lol

davidmacq said:
Possible to use the serial connection to output anything? Or a piggyback type controller you could program to ground pins based on readings from diagnostics?

Heck, just a switch on the dash to control timing would be cool. lol

Fred and I were chatting about this last night. I think he wants to work on something along these lines.

What would also be nice is to program a
Basic Stamp
unit to alter ignition timing based on some logic.

BDKR said:
Fred and I were chatting about this last night. I think he wants to work on something along these lines.

What would also be nice is to program a
Basic Stamp
unit to alter ignition timing based on some logic.

I'd probably use a PIC, but that's because I've got a bit more experience with them. (I think they're also faster, IIRC, but don't quote me on that...)

What would you reference? Boost level? EGT? Multiple parameters and switch base timing based on that? (This of course is assuming that you can switch these back and forth on the fly without screwing things up...)

Metalgod_Z said:
I'd probably use a PIC, but that's because I've got a bit more experience with them. (I think they're also faster, IIRC, but don't quote me on that...)

Hmmmm...... That's kinda tasty there. I only thought of Parallax because I'm a noob in this area and I'm familiar with them. Thanx for the info. :)

Metalgod_Z said:
What would you reference? Boost level? EGT? Multiple parameters and switch base timing based on that? (This of course is assuming that you can switch these back and forth on the fly without screwing things up...)

I hadn't really thought about it to be honest with you. Fred and I were chatting last night and both thought it would be cool if you had something to allow you to select a particular timing level, but while hacking in that last post, it occurred to me that there may be a way to be more intelligent about it. Honestly, multiple parameters make the most sense. Throw in a way to make it aware of grooved heads as well and we may have something.

BDKR said:
Throw in a way to make it aware of grooved heads as well and we may have something.

I think it would be best to make people suck it up and deal with throwing it on a dyno.

Log EGT, throttle position, etc for THEIR OWN CAR versus timing changes from this hack, and watch the dyno output. Once you know what the baseline is for a given car, you can tell the PIC or other controller to change settings based on the selected inputs.

In essence, it's a piggyback that "hacks" the stock ignition box. I doubt that it would easily "learn" around it, either...

I've got a g/f itching for a project like this, and I think the 940se she's looking at might just be the kick she needs. Doesn't understand the tuning aspect, but she's definitely capable of understanding it given the time. Already knows the PIC aspect FAR better than I do.

Back