• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No start: 240DL cranked fine, then loud screech, now nothing.

98T5

Banned
I cleaned my 240 engine off witt Gunk yesterday. carnked the car and let iit run to warm up and burn off the excess water. did that for for about 15minutes. enigine was hot water was gone., turned the car off to go clean the garage and clean myself up. come back outside thinking I would take the 240 for a spin to check out my tail lghts for inspection. the car would start at all. it turned over, ran a for a bit, then a loud sreeech! sound and I turnedit off, thinking the starter was going out. It turns over, but It *Pops* like a combustion inside the engine and affter I can hear a buzz like the fuel pump is turning off. weird.:-( because it ran ran yesterday. is this the dread fuel pump relay dying on me or what? I seems like a no fuel to the injectors issue, but I may be wrong.

any info is appreciated, thanks:cool:

Doesnt' rally sound like a fuel pump relay. Those don't screech! when they stop working.

Doesnt' rally sound like a fuel pump relay. Those don't screech! when they stop working.

what could that sound be. it came and went a couple times, then the car ran, then nothing but pop..pop..fizz...fizz...and the starter engages fine, I can hear it turning. the ignition switch is turning fine, turning all the lights on and engaging the starter.

did my washing the engine off do something?:-(

It's very hard to diagnose based on a verbal description of a sound, without very many specifics.

What did the screech sound like. Metallic? Rubber belts squealing?

When the engine cranks, it's it laboring over all 4 compressions evenly?

Dunno, for no good reason I sort of have a half a hunch that the t-belt may have slipped. But that's a *very* low-information guess.

1) pull the 710 and see if the cam is turning as you spin the engine over on the starter
2) look at the HARMONIC BALANCER and see if it is "sitting square and moving
with the crank"....

Did you also soak the alternator?

I did not. but some splash may have hit it. I figure that may have bee normal since cars run over water puddles all the time and spalsh water into the engine bay and hit the alternator. I wash off my engines all the time, so no sute what the deal is.

It's very hard to diagnose based on a verbal description of a sound, without very many specifics.

What did the screech sound like. Metallic? Rubber belts squealing?

When the engine cranks, it's it laboring over all 4 compressions evenly?

Dunno, for no good reason I sort of have a half a hunch that the t-belt may have slipped. But that's a *very* low-information guess.

my belts were indeed very loose and I suspected the loose belts made the screech sound, so I tightened them up, and no more screech sound. now it's just not firing up, at all. it's turinng over very nice, and fires for about 2 seconds then dies, almost to the point of draining the battery. and then *pop!* sound and maybe a fizz and then I hear the fuel pumpt turing off.

it';s almost like it's starving for gas guys. could it be my fuel pressure regulator has taken a dump. ?

how do I check to see if I have pressure to the rail. my V70 has that pressure botton on the rail but I don't see one on the 240

thanks.
!

Could this be the "tb-too many threads in ot" curse?

I've seen it take down a few clean 240's,not pretty at all.

Personally I'd just adjust the tb-screw to counteract it but you must be very skilled...maybe someone with more experience can chime in..

Basics: Air, Fuel, spark.

Check 'air' with a compression test (either gauge or just shade tree)
Check 'fuel' with some start fluid (or a bunch of more complicated injection system tests)
Check spark with a timing light

PS: Another nice diagnostic is to get on CL and buy a beige Toyota Camry. Park it right next to the Volvo. Try to start the Volvo. If it doesn't start then try the Toyota. When that starts drive it and ponder what you just learned.

PS: Another nice diagnostic is to get on CL and buy a beige Toyota Camry. Park it right next to the Volvo. Try to start the Volvo. If it doesn't start then try the Toyota. When that starts drive it and ponder what you just learned.

That you shoulda bought a kjet car instead:e-shrug:???

found out it was a bad cap/rotor. also changed a few old hoses. runs like a champ again. :cool:

found out it was a bad cap/rotor. also changed a few old hoses. runs like a champ again. :cool:

When you clean your engine, you should cover the dizzy as much as possible. I learned that the hard way after I first got my 244 and decided to clean the engine bay. Got water in the dizzy and it wouldn't start until it all dried out. I imagine the Gunk was worse for the dizzy than plain water.

it *usually* ends up being some form of BASIC fail....

GOOD CATCH....I *hope* you logged the experience so
you can go back and refer to it if faced w/a similar set
of "symptoms"!! :nod:

Back