• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Poulrais's 745 16V from up North

poulrais

Ok so I'm going to start this build thread. I just hope I find the time to feed it!!

A friend of mine bought this car on November 2009 and he had this idea of building a very fast wagon to surprise the crowd at the local dragstrip... He stored the car for winter and began buying bits and pieces from EBay and other TB members. He bought the Getrag swap kit from qwkswede and a nice Garrett T04E on EBay. He also ordered a plug and play MS kit from Linuxman. 3 months later he told me he was going to sell the car. I couldn't let this pass so I broke the piggy bank and bought the car for $4000 including the uninstalled Getrag kit, turbo and MS (not installed).

The car came with the following mods and upgrades:

Motor: B230FT 1995 (940)
Black leather seats
Getrag 5 sp. Swap
Brand new Mitsubishi TD04h 15G 2009
new ported headers
Ford brown top injectors
Complete 3'' exhaust with downpipe,high flow CAT and Magnaflow muffler
K&N cone filter and heat shield
MBC
Coil Blaster 2
MS v3 Plug and Play with many options
Brand new Jumbo calipers front and rear
F/R stainless steel brake hoses
F/R cross drilled rotors
ATE Superblue brake fluid
Upper and lower frame braces (Cherry Turbo)
In tank Walbro 255 fuel pump
850 fuel filter conversion
Brand new flame trap
Electric fan conv.
Rack & pinion + pump brand new
New alternator
Brand new HD rear coils
Bilstein TC front, Sachs back
IPD back sway bar
17' Eikers (Polaris replicas) mint condition, New BFGoodrich G Force KDW
New balljoints
tie-rods inners and outers new
New end links with poly bushings
New heater core
New blower motor
2007 exterior paint
V90 door and rear panel handles
V90 rear spoiler
Real Euro headlight assembly (not the Scantech replicas) with 65w high-beam, low 55w, yellow fogs and auxiliaries 100w
Euro flashers
Euro side markers
SE side skirts and rear bumper
V90 rear lights
redone black headliner
780 center pod with 3 gauges (voltmeter, oil pressure and boost)
Blaupunkt Long BeachDVD35 CD DVD MP3 with speakers
sub MTX 2 x 10'' with MTX Thunder amp?

Since I'm a total noob in anything electrical, I had the MS installed by Roger-Dee in May 2010 but I left the LH system in place for awhile since I had no time to sort out the bugs from MS and no time to tune. I finalized the MS install and tuning at the end of the 2010 summer, still running on the crank position sensor flaky signal, 15G and browntops.

We took out the AW71 in June 2010 and installed the Getrag. And it felt very good right away!!:-P

I stored the car for the 2010-2011 winter. Took the car out in April 2011 and blew the HG not long after that but it was a slow leaking gasket so no harm to the head and it only needed a regular resurfacing. I drove the car alot last spring, summer and fall and managed a best 9,23 on the 1/8 local dragstrip which is not bad for an almost stock heavy wagon on street tires. But since I sold my 331 stroked Mustang on December 2010, I was badly in need of a HP boost on this wagon!

Bought a house with a 3 car garage this summer so this winter is major engine work time!!!:nod: Here's what I have already in hand to install:

-Garrett T04E A/R .63
-Nathaninwa's custom 16V intake mani with fuel rail and 960 TB
-16V head with Yoshifab's valve springs upgrade
-Tubular exhaust mani bought from Linuxman, used to be in the car he rolled over with...
-Yoshifab's 16V timing belt conversion kit
-1995 B230ft block with squiters, bored to 96,5mm
-Forged 16V CP pistons from JVAB
-160mm H-Beam rods also from JVAB
-DSM CAS
-LS1 coils
-New crank and rod bearings

Here's what I have to gather up in the following month:

-Injectors, at least 1000cc
-A rightly sized intercooler
-Crank scraper
-Intake hoses kit
-Yoshifab's CAS adaptor
-T5 with appropriate PP, clutch and Flywheel
-Wilwood brake upgrade, front and rear
-adjustable FPR
-more money...

Right now the block is at the machine shop, bored and ready to be painted, red. I'm taking the crank to another machine shop next week to have it balanced. We should start assembling the engine back in a couple of weeks.

Btw, I'm hoping for around 400 whp on crushed fossil juice of the 94 octane kind...

Pictures? ->>

Time to take the sh**t out!
745_4.jpg

And UP she goes!!
745_11.jpg

745_12.jpg

B230ft and Getrag separation...
745_14.jpg

This will need to be cleaned up!
745_13.jpg

Crank removal
745_15.jpg

Done!
745_16.jpg

Let her squirt!!!:-P
745_17.jpg

The old slappers
745_18.jpg

Is this normal wear?!
745_22.jpg

745_21.jpg

745_20.jpg

Prepped 16V head
745_8.jpg

745_9.jpg

Tougher rods and pistons!
745_24.jpg

Nathaninwa's artwork
intake.jpg

Linuxman's old tubular mani
745_7.jpg

Garrett T04E
Garrett1.jpg

Garrett2-1.jpg

Washed block
745_25.jpg

Block turbo oil return tapped for a Dodge 2.2 heater core fitting
745_27.jpg

745_26.jpg

Engine block in the cross hatching machine... Notice the nice torque plate we had Roger-Dee make!!:nod:
745_29.jpg

745_28.jpg

745_30.jpg

So this is about all for now!!:)

Thanks! I'm excited too! We don't see many high perf RWD Volvos around here! Most are either in the hands of grandpas or in a state of disrepair!!:-P

nice project.

i like that honing machine. i'm always stuck with a squirt can of oil and some cheap hone in a drill.

when were those pistons made?

nice project.

i like that honing machine. i'm always stuck with a squirt can of oil and some cheap hone in a drill.

when were those pistons made?

They were made last November I think... Why?

And yes the honing machine is pretty cool. My machinist friend says they getting quite rare around here too...

Picked up the crank, rods and pistons to have all this balanced at National in Montreal next week!:nod:

Gotta to order the crank scrapper and still waiting on some news from JohnV about my ARP head studs...

Gawd, If you have anymore friends who sell cars like you got PLEASE tell me. RWD Bricks is decent shape not to mention extras are damn near impossible to find here. Nice garage. I put in a real 2 post hoist in mine, 2K delivered installed myself in 2 easy days. Let me know if you want to know who in Canada sells them. Pretty basic model but nice to stand underneath.
ian

Gawd, If you have anymore friends who sell cars like you got PLEASE tell me. RWD Bricks is decent shape not to mention extras are damn near impossible to find here. Nice garage. I put in a real 2 post hoist in mine, 2K delivered installed myself in 2 easy days. Let me know if you want to know who in Canada sells them. Pretty basic model but nice to stand underneath.
ian

How much ceiling height do you need to installe this? And on what type of current does it run? 220V? Problem is I would have to level the floor cause it presently has a slope going to the drain in the center of the garage...:-( Right now I can get 3 cars in there and still able to open the doors. With the hoist I don't think this will be possible anymore. That's why I was more inclined to buy a bodyshop type of hoist.

220VAC. There are 2 versions, low ceiling and high ceiling. I have 12.5' ceiling so I used the high hoist. With the low version the equalizing cables run along the floor between the posts. Lump to drive over and salt and sh!t falls on it in the winter. I bought mine in 2010. Depends how sloped the is but you just use steel shims. I've seen lots of commercial garages with shimed hoists. Ask the supplier.
This is the USA site but ask for the Canadian rep. in Mississauga area. http://www.directlift.com/Two-Post-Lifts-C8.aspx

Time for an update!!!! Got the block back a while ago but needed the ARP head studs to put the motor back together. Then I noticed that I missed the 3 spacers to install the ARP's and I had to have these fabed (Thanks Roger-Dee!!;-)). So my friend Dave (Dave242GT) who is also my machinist came to my garage and we started assembling back this engine. Some pictures:

IMG_0332.jpg

Crank in place

IMG_0333.jpg

Used plastigauge to check the clearances...

IMG_0334.jpg

Oil pan back on to protect the interns from dust and particles...

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

Interested skunk!! My cat Benjamin!!! :-P

IMG_0339.jpg

Pistons and rods waiting to be installed!

IMG_0340.jpg

Benjamin loves the Getrag!!

IMG_0343.jpg

Rod end caps, clearance also verified with plastigauge. All is fine at 75lbs of torque

IMG_0344.jpg

Shiny ashtrays in!:)

IMG_0345.jpg

Prepped head...

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

ARP head studs in

IMG_0348.jpg

Drilled the coolant holes, 2 X 6mm at the back and 1 X 4mm hole on the left front. Hope this will help keep the HG in good shape.

IMG_0350.jpg

First part of the 16V head in. Notice the 3 aluminum spacers on the right. 1" OD X 1,5" long drilled .5"... Yoshifab's upgraded valve springs stiffness!!!:-P

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

Head bolted. 95 lbs of torque using ARP lube...

IMG_0353.jpg

Lifters in.... Still hydraulic :-( Next upgrade maybe?

IMG_0354.jpg

Brand new Melling oil pump

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

TADA!!!!!:oogle:

IMG_0357.jpg

Nathan's art work

IMG_0358.jpg

Butifull!!!! Linuxman's old tubular exhaust mani repainted!!

So this is it for now... Gotta order injectors, new clutch disk and this and that...

Back