• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Qwkswede's 1967 122 Time Machine

Great looking car! Are those seats reupholstered? This will be a great project!

This might have been a 92 block, or mislabeled. I picked it up from a local shop and it wasn't with the car anymore. Its definitely a late model with 13mm rods but had no squirters.

Ya, I was under the impression that even the 1993 240 got the block with working and installed squirters from the factory! Hence the 1993 is quitier, etc etc?

It isnt a 100% guarantee.

I picked up this axle at the junkyard recently. Ford 8.8 with limited slip and 3.73 gears and disk brakes.

42AA7F08-F6CA-43EB-A7AB-7CF9943B43FF.JPG

I started cleaning up the Ford mounts this week and getting some measurements so I can narrow it a bit. It looks like I can do the common modification where you shorten the long tube 3" and use 2 short side axles. That puts the overall width flange to flange at 56.5". The 122 width is 56", and the wheels are really sucked in. I'm sure I can play with some common Ford wheel sizes to get a pretty fat tire under the back. Definitely rolling the fender lips and maybe a mini tub. I'll have to see how it adds up.
IMAGE_777.jpeg

saaayyy that looks familiar, I've got one standing on end in the carport right now, bout to do the same thing. you get that outa an explorer?

Does anyone have a decent used T5 transmission to contribute to the progress? The Ford Mustang versions are scarce in the Denver area.

Transmission find...

I picked up this Mustang T5 transmission today. It was a local Craigslist find. I can't believe how expensive and rare these have become in the last few years. I had several at one time, and they were cheap. This one is broken, basically a core and it cost me $150. It has a busted reverse idler gear, which is a cheap easy fix, and 2nd gear pops out of gear supposedly. It will need reverse and syncros minimum. But I'll plan to rebuild it with a fresh 2.95 gear set so I know its fresh and as strong as possible. I thought it shoulda been free in this condition, kinda annoying, but that is the state of things I guess. One more piece of the puzzle here.

IMAGE_785.jpeg

Last edited:
I got the axle cut and shortened today. I need to buy and attach some bracketry to bolt the axle to the car now. I got brave and just cut it as straight as possible, then measured and carefully tacked it together while adjusting the straightness continuously. No jig bar holding it or anything fancy. I hope it doesn't eat bearings like the cookie monster, but I think it will be fine. The axle slides in nice and straight, and everything turns nice. I think I got it close enough.
3efo3SvCqdsD23VEIlkibB6UVWSaxSB0hLrAQmNByOE=w398-h531-no

IMAGE_789.jpeg

IMAGE_787.jpeg

2 passes for the weldment into a nice v-groove. That will do the trick...
IMAGE_788.jpeg

June 2015

Wow, Time flies. I got a bit distracted by my other Volvos last summer. And I still have not had the courage to begin dismantling the Amazon. I drive it sometimes when the weather is nice.

June 2015
Here are some pictures from the work I completed over the last year.

I changed the plans for the rear axle, and bought some 9" bearing ends and fresh tubes.
IMAGE_1047.jpeg

Brackets for the axle mounting
IMAGE_791.jpeg

Making some measurements
IMAGE_1093.jpeg

IMAGE_1068.jpeg

The T5 transmission I bought had some broken parts. So I rebuilt it completely
IMAGE_1110.jpeg

I assembled the shortblock.
IMAGE_1039.jpeg

IMAGE_1040.jpeg

The oil pump needed to be modified to work with the B18/B20 oil pain I plan to use.

IMAGE_1080.jpeg

I took the old girl to the drag races this month. Lets call this a baseline pass.
22.59 sec @ 62mph

<<<< left lane is me
IMAGE_1401.jpeg

Interestingly, my friend has a 122 with dual SUs, and he runs 23s in the 1/4. So my weber fueled car is faster!!

I am working on some ideas at the moment. I was considering a backhalf with narrower frame rails. And then i could run a 12 or 15" wide slick. But lately i am considering a more simple stock based 4-link setup with a mini tub. I need to get some tires to see what metal needs to be cut and moved. I think a 26x10 would give all the traction i ever need. And still give a pretty mean street brawler attitude.

All NA cars are badly affected by altitude. There's 20% less oxygen here, you can think of it like running at negative 2.5 psi boost. It pretty much translates directly into 20% less power. When you only have 80 whp to start with it gets chopped to basically 64. My stock 122 ran 23.7 against a stock 142 that ran 22.8, so yeah these are normal numbers here.

I found some funds and motivation lately. I'm hoping the have the engine mounted, and rear axle work done here in the next couple months.

To guide the work every project needs "the list".
IMAGE_1662.jpeg

I'm removing the front sheetmetal and engine getting ready to work on the backbone. Clean, paint, some suspension work, etc...
IMAGE_1661.jpeg

The turbo showed up recently. Holset HX40.
IMAGE_1618.jpeg

I picked up some tires for the rear. 26x10s. I think this is all the tire I will ever need.
IMAGE_1614.jpeg

Back