• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I dragged home a white turd.

So I thought that ticking noise in the video above was a blown out manifold gasket. It did have two blown gaskets but that wasn't the tick. Valvetrain maybe? Doesn't really change at all with engine temp.

I ripped out the exhaust, welded up a hole in the header pipe, and threw on the exhaust from my diesel 240. No cat and homemade resonator delete. Got every manifold nut off without snapping or pulling a single stud. The best part is that it rolls coal cause of all the soot still in it. The cat was pretty clogged, I put a light behind it and I could barely see through.

LhUPd4lh.jpg

KbsKFEph.jpg

<iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/3euyt/sqpyi" width="300" height="581" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also cleaned the throttle body and IAC as well as replacing the ECT. Made absolutely no difference to ease of starting or idle quality.. If the car is stone cold it won't start at all unless I put my foot on the gas.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gUU71gw6Uhg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I counted 18 or 19 seconds to 60. Pretty sure it's supposed to be faster than that, IIRC my stock M46 wagon was about 14 seconds. Also note the not at all concerning clunk. Dunno what that is, looked over the rear suspension and it all appeared to be fine.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gUU71gw6Uhg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I counted 18 or 19 seconds to 60. Pretty sure it's supposed to be faster than that, IIRC my stock M46 wagon was about 14 seconds. Also note the not at all concerning clunk. Dunno what that is, looked over the rear suspension and it all appeared to be fine.

It?s probably mis timed.

Yeah, cam was off a tooth.

So.. I really feel like this car has been wrecked at some point. The front crossmember is red, not white. Plus that firewall. So I got a free Autocheck report by listing it on eBay and the odometer checks out but there are zero accidents on the report..

Here's the thing about that though, I got an Autocheck report for my 1988 245 a long time ago that also said 0 accidents, but the report I got from the insurance after the wreck had an accident from '99 listed on it. (Which explains why it came with the wrong bumper.) So I dunno.

D4mCSlIh.jpg

uZ08CDEh.jpg

aTrSb7kh.jpg

bSIc5fFh.jpg

EDIT: I daily drove this car for a couple weeks without touching a thing and it.. Just kept getting better. I mean, the idle was still crap because of the cam timing but even though I didn't do anything to it since I made the video above, except for fixing the AC, the 0-60 time went down to 15.0 seconds, and that was with the AC on. It also now fires right up every time.

Last edited:
Did tie rods and wheel bearings then took it for a drive. It's a damn rocket now. I honestly think it's a little faster than any of the other stock gas 240s I've owned and those were manuals. Throttle response is sooo much better now. Noticed something neat, it has a non intercooler turbo fan shroud on it.

PvdYIDnh.jpg

lv1wWYBh.jpg

DxYaoxFh.jpg

Back