• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

"ARP" style bolts and such for b230?

I'm not hating on the ARP secret sauce but would Grade 12.9 studs(or bolts) with the right pitch work just as well(for these engines)? A few discussions in the past had suggested they would, others say they wouldn't; Arguments go back 14 years with no clear answers...

FWIW The head bolts that I pulled today were grade 10.9...

I put the 12.9 grade in my engine, according to the given tensile strength and shear force, the 12.9 grade bolts are very close to the ARP studs in strength.
I bought the 12.9 grade allen bolts and 10.9 grade shims, for around 1/10 of the price of ARP studs in the States, and that's without shipping and customs clearance on the studs

I put the 12.9 grade in my engine, according to the given tensile strength and shear force, the 12.9 grade bolts are very close to the ARP studs in strength.
I bought the 12.9 grade allen bolts and 10.9 grade shims, for around 1/10 of the price of ARP studs in the States, and that's without shipping and customs clearance on the studs

Did you use the old school torque procedure that requires re torquing them after you run it?

Something to keep in mind as well. The ARP stuff is fine thread at the top, a touch better for more even clamping force. That's from a couple different sources.

ARP has almost ANYTHING in nuts, bolts, and studs. Just because you don't see a listing for whatever engine doesn't mean that they can't take care of you, just that they don't have a pre-made kit for that application. Contact them with sizes and lengths and they can take care of you. I used to get dyno driveshaft nuts, bolts, and washers from them and there for sure was not a catalog listing for that hardware.

Dan

Did you use the old school torque procedure that requires re torquing them after you run it?

No, as the head was already on with the 10.9 grade bolts I just changed the bolts one by one, in the same order as when replacing a gasket, and over torqued them compared to the manual.
I have an industrial manual indicating the maximum torque for a 12.9 grade bolt, I picked a number half way between the two manuals

Back