• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 turned into tire burning machine. Modular 4.6l Cobra engine swap. Pics inside!

Aren't you getting problems any problems from the owners of these parking lots for putting these marks on their asphalt?:-P Here, I would be in a lot of trouble if they ever found me, or my car!!! But I know it is hard to resist doing these donuts! I have a stroked 331 Mustang that can do just that and then some!!:oogle:

Thank you guys.
If calculated from mph vs weight on the drag strip (104mph and 3.108lbs with driver), It?s around 270whp. Thats pretty fair I think.

the shot on the boat ramp makes me nervous !!! :)

risky_business_porsche.jpg

:rofl:

Nothing big but I was ordering material for making Coilovers "The Kyote Way" and its on the way home to Iceland. I Ordered sleeves from ColemanRacing and springs from SummitRacing...what inserts should I use?

JoiOK- I am considering doing a similar swap as you but I am planning on using the Mark VIII's 4R70W.

I have a few questions:
Why did you select the tremec?
Would you see any problems using the 4R70W?
Did you investigate swapping over the IRS? What conclusions did you come to? I was hoping to use the mark viii's diff housing with a supercoupe posi and 3.27 gears. Then I was (again hoping) to make new control arms and use coil overs at or near the factory shock tower mounting points and of course add some mounts to the rear subframe for the control arms.

Did you use the Mark VIII brakes? If not, did you consider swapping them over? Again I was hoping since the hubs are 5x108 to be able to use the Mark VIII brakes on the front and just machine some brake brackets to adapt to them.

What were the big sticking points for the swap?

This car my mom bought a few months after I was born, then my grandma bought it and now it may come to me. It just so happens I supercharged a Mark VIII when I was 17 and that was my daily driver in high school.

Whoa! Awesome stuff!

My family lives in Hafnarfj?r?ur, so they're not far from you. Good to see an Icelander on the board!

JoiOK- I am considering doing a similar swap as you but I am planning on using the Mark VIII's 4R70W.

I have a few questions:
Why did you select the tremec?
Would you see any problems using the 4R70W?
Did you investigate swapping over the IRS? What conclusions did you come to? I was hoping to use the mark viii's diff housing with a supercoupe posi and 3.27 gears. Then I was (again hoping) to make new control arms and use coil overs at or near the factory shock tower mounting points and of course add some mounts to the rear subframe for the control arms.

Did you use the Mark VIII brakes? If not, did you consider swapping them over? Again I was hoping since the hubs are 5x108 to be able to use the Mark VIII brakes on the front and just machine some brake brackets to adapt to them.

What were the big sticking points for the swap?

This car my mom bought a few months after I was born, then my grandma bought it and now it may come to me. It just so happens I supercharged a Mark VIII when I was 17 and that was my daily driver in high school.

Actually I didn have thee Mark VIII, I bought the motor and trans locally, and it had already been pulled out of the car. It was supposed to be put in a 96 Mustang, but the guy sold the pony, so he had no use for this engine and trans and I got it cheap. At the time I was also thinking about puting in an IRS from 96 Cobra, but it was sold when I made my decission so i?ll be using a 9" Ford. About the big sticking points... I would say relocating the brake master cylender and brake booster to clear the head was the worst headache.

What supercharger did you use on your old Mark? I?m also considering some kind of forced inductin, but dont know if I go turbo or supercharged.

I used a Paxton Novi 1000. If the choice is between a centrifugal supercharger or a turbo, its turbo all the way. A centrifugal is much much easier if you have the space in the front. Its also cheaper most likely.

A turbo will move the start of the power band lower, make power sooner, be much easier to upgrade when you want to make more power, be easier to turn up boost to make more power, allow you to make more boost, etc. etc. The motor is already a higher RPM motor and having then centrifugal supercharger really made that more so. I've never been a big fan of roots superchargers because of price vs power. Turbo turbo turbo. Also the Mark VIII cam profile I think lends itself a bit more to the higher boost a turbo would put out but that's not really by a huge margin. In fact the Mark VIII cam profile is most similar to the Mach 1/03-04 Cobra except slightly less lift.

96 Cobra didn't have IRS. All mustangs had their garbage 4 link suspension with solid axle until 2004 except the 03-04 Cobra. In fact except for control arm length, control arms are interchangeable from 1979 to 2004. That said I wish this Mark had a 4 link and solid axle, its much much much easier to retrofit even if it's not very good.

I purchased a 1993 Mark VIII this past week for $2200. It has 58,000 miles 3.73 gears, posi, cobra brakes with upgraded calipers and rotors, 18" cobra wheels, and a piggyback chip in the ecu. Gotta love Florida, these things are everywhere.

I took a gander at the brake booster and master cyl in the Mark VIII just now and while smaller than the OEM Volvo I think, it looks significantly larger than the one you used. What years Mustang had that brake booster?

:lol: This really isn't true at all. It can be. It depends on what kind of turbo it is. It depends on what kind of blower you're using. You can't say the above as a 100% statement.

When housing sizes are chosen even semi properly (No huge A/R diesel exhaust side or something of that nature) for the same power, when compared to a centrifugal as stated, it is.

Also, heh, :lol: guess you'd, heh, :lol: know that if you weren't, heh, being, :lol: condescending with your :lol: emoticons.

01 Cobra was IRS but NA motor. One-year suspension, no Cobra for 02, then revised design for 03-04 model years.

This is correct. The 99 had IRS as well. The V6/GT mustangs were all solid axle through 2004 and as stated before they were mostly garbage due to the suspension binding and causing wheel hop.

Yea... Its true, the IRS i was thinking about was from 01 cobra, not 96 like i remembered... If I remember correct, this hydraulic brake booster came from 03 GT mustang,

Yea... Its true, the IRS i was thinking about was from 01 cobra, not 96 like i remembered... If I remember correct, this hydraulic brake booster came from 03 GT mustang,

You mentioned blowers, here's the Mark VIII I had. You can see the blower kit and DIY meth injection. If you're running unintercooled, meth injection is the way to go. You get all the throttle response and I had sub ambient IATs after a run. This kit cost about $120 or so to build and I used windshield washer fluid. The non detergent kind is just straight water/meth. In America you can get material safety and data sheets (MSDS) on all chemicals to verify their composition. I'd imagine iceland has something like that too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fczKsPb0Gk

I have to sell a bunch of stuff in that silver tent to make room for the Volvo which is currently at my grandparents (as my grandma owns it).

Can't say I'm not serious though:

nNSZL.jpg

Last edited:
Back