• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How to increase b21ft compression ratio?

IWantedAnAE86

Hi guys, thinking about picking up an '83 to '85 240 GLT turbo when a good one pops up. I love these cars so much, but the thing that bugs me is the crazy low compression ratio of 7.5:1. Is there any way to increase the compression ratio? Any pistons I can drop in from another Volvo? Thinner headgaskets? The reason being is that I want something that I don't have to floor to make power (worried about MPG) as this will be my DD.

I'm torn between getting an '88-'89 740 turbo or one of these. I really love the lines of the 240s so much, this is the only thing holding me back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys, thinking about picking up an '83 to '85 240 GLT turbo when a good one pops up. I love these cars so much, but the thing that bugs me is the crazy low compression ratio of 7.5:1. Is there any way to increase the compression ratio? Any pistons I can drop in from another Volvo? Thinner headgaskets? The reason being is that I want something that I don't have to floor to make power (worried about MPG) as this will be my DD.

I'm torn between getting an '88-'89 740 turbo or one of these. I really love the lines of the 240s so much, this is the only thing holding me back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aside from milling the surface of the block, use a thinner head gasket.

Or, do nothing and just raise the boost. Low comp loves boost.

Aside from milling the surface of the block, use a thinner head gasket.

Or, do nothing and just raise the boost. Low comp loves boost.

Any idea what the compression ratio would be with a 0.27" headgasket (the thinnest one) from RSI? Are there any other companies that make performance orientated head gaskets? Because $109.99 is pretty damn expensive for a head gasket lol. Boost isn't gonna help me when I'm trying to drive while MPG conscious :lol:

Any idea what the compression ratio would be with a 0.27" headgasket (the thinnest one) from RSI? Are there any other companies that make performance orientated head gaskets? Because $109.99 is pretty damn expensive for a head gasket lol. Boost isn't gonna help me when I'm trying to drive while MPG conscious :lol:

RSI went out of business too

The reason being is that I want something that I don't have to floor to make power (worried about MPG) as this will be my DD.

740 Turbos don't get stellar gas mileage either.

Are you sure? Their website is still up and it looks like you can still purchase things.

They ceased operations a while back.

You seem to have conflicting goals here. That and the fact that you say you don't have tools or a garage (for dropping in pistons I assume) makes this whole conversation sort of silly.

740 Turbos don't get stellar gas mileage either.

You seem to have conflicting goals here. That and the fact that you say you don't have tools or a garage (for dropping in pistons I assume) makes this whole conversation sort of silly.

I'm aware of that don't worry lol, my goal is to make the car as efficient off boost as possible. As for dropping in pistons, you don't necessarily have to remove the entire block to do so, I live in a townhouse and our car port is sufficient to remove the cylinder head and oil pan. I don't however have space to store an entire engine.

#1 They're really not around much anymore,let alone a 'good' one.

#2 They're not TB ?heap anymore when they do pop up.

#3 They'll get ~25mpg on the freeway with a stick.

#4 Gas is cheap now, stop complaining or get a Prius.

#1 They're really not around much anymore,let alone a 'good' one.

#2 They're not TB ?heap anymore when they do pop up.

#3 They'll get ~25mpg on the freeway with a stick.

#4 Gas is cheap now, stop complaining or get a Prius.

Gas isn't that cheap here in BC Canada, AND MAYBE I WILL!

I think you should because what you're saying about old Volvos isn't adding up.

Or simply buy that AE86 you seem to lust after, and go bug the guys on the Toyota forums.

:-P

Back