• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Going straight / 240 steering "wander"

Dropped tire pressures to recommended values, 1,8bar front, 1,9bar rear and it seems this weird issue is improved! Will play with pressures more to see if it really cured the wandering.

Interesting read:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47

"Tires have the most direct influence on tramlining because..."

The tires I took off were unsafe, so I don't have a good back to back comparison from the old tires to the new tires. I would be curious to swap on a different set of wheels / tires and see what changes. If anything.

A8C8088F-5005-47F7-905F-C831465F01DC-M.jpg

I put wider tires (215's I think) on a '76 Celica once with no problems. On a '77 Z28 the car went to heck with 245's. But at least I looked cool.

Poly seems to help. Feels more "planted." Start with the basics (like replacing soft bushings). Imagine that.

Got some used poly torque arms for the rear. Then align the wheels again.

Getting closer...

FAC5F5FD-797B-4290-A691-DBC068406501-M.jpg

85F307D1-4376-4F4F-818E-92A27D4FE885-M.jpg

503252F6-3EEB-4EF8-B392-5A67501968A1-M.jpg

OP.... Wheels with different offset from stock will make for dramatic results.

The car was designed to be run with a weenie 185-14 tire.

Using a tire of 205 width with correct offset wheels that is taller then stock will make a longer contact patch. You may be shocked at how much more grip is there with that shape of contact patch.

better back out while you can

giphy.gif

:lol:

Restore it to stock!

There are different factory torque rods?

Yes.

Or are the large ones are aftermarket?

Large bushings are late style, small bushings are early style.

Hope to drive it soon with my LKQ poly torque rods and see where we are.

And tear up another set because your lowers are shot?

:doh:

Borrow / rent / make the tool and put some Lemf?rder's in there is your best bet IMO.

Spend more on your rod ends and they don't clunk. Or I didn't hear them over the rear end with the spool and the Jerico's straight cut gears.

Rubber for the front of the lower arms makes for enough give in rear suspension.

Some very serious hardware.

Back