• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

142s split shaft or 1pc

71142volvo

I'm putting in a T9 tranny shortly. Is the split 2pc drive shafts needed or can I replace with a 1pc. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated...especially if you've done this.

Thanks

I don’t see any reason you couldn’t use either one. I swapped to a 2.5” one-piece in my 122 and it’s great. It will move more with suspension travel so just make sure you have the room for it.

Any good driveshaft shop should be able to either mod your two-piece accordingly or make you a one-piece.

If staying with the 2 piece, you may want to get the larger flange for your pumpkin and convert to a 2" prop, and lose those problematical small U joints especially if you're planning on adding more power.

Either a late 140 EFI prop, and or a 240 prop will probably work since the chassis layout is the same.

I put a 1pc in my 240 (with a T5) and clearance gets a bit iffy since the whole length goes up and down, pivoting at the end of the trans.

I also have some nasty vibration issues in my drivetrain (16V B230FT, 15 lb flywheel, T5 trans) that showed up when I put some poly torque rods in, not bad with stock rubber bushings though. I'm unsure how much of that is related to the driveshaft though.

Dunno when they went to the larger tunnel, 73? and if the back portion ever changed as well?

hiperfauto would know if anybody does.

I think the change involved a different center bearing and support. The early tunnel won't fit the later style center support. You might be able to find a different bearing that fits on the late 140/240 driveshaft, but still accepts the early support. If you have an early 140, that is.

Dunno when they went to the larger tunnel, 73? and if the back portion ever changed as well?

hiperfauto would know if anybody does.

The tunnel and carrier bearing/bushing was enlarged in '70. His car is a '71 so the large driveshaft is a bolt in.

I've done research to see if there's a bearing that will allow the large driveshaft to be used with the small bushing and there isn't.

I had a 3" 1pc in my 74, only issues were the bolt for the seat belts and the e-brake cable routing. Depending on ride height, the bolt may not be an issue. Dropping the e-brake cable hangers was easy enough as well.

Back