• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Simple locker mod G80

940Orlando

Hello, I just did my own version of the locker mod on the g80. Not sure if anyone has done this, but it can be done in probably less than an hour.

All I did was drill and tap the carrier and install a set screw (5/16), ground the set screw until it recesses into the carrier and staked it in. The set screw keeps the weighted arm from springing out and disabling the locking mechanism.

20160504_185920_zps2uztezbk.jpg

Doesn't look like a lot of meat on the top of that set screw. I'm just worried if that lets go, the kool-aid man is going to take pay a visit with a grenade.

That will work just fine, nice idea.

I used a piece of 3/32 welding rod tacked to the housing to hold the weight down. No problem.
Welded_on_bench_s.jpg

Might as well swap a open diff and do a Lincoln locker.

Won't that chirp the wheels when turning?

No it doesnt lock it, it just keeps it in lsd mode where factory operation that paw flies out over 25mph and makes the g80 basically an open diff. This mod and any other with the spur/paw whatever you want to call it makes it behave like a normal locker at all speeds and not just under 25mph

You can just lop the weight off no? Seems easier, IDK. Just stick it in the vice and death wheel the weight off? Same difference no?

The "always locked" more or less "always locked" G80 is a lot easier on the axle splines than the welded and a lot less of a PITA to move around the parking lot.

You can just lop the weight off no? Seems easier, IDK. Just stick it in the vice and death wheel the weight off? Same difference no?

The "always locked" more or less "always locked" G80 is a lot easier on the axle splines than the welded and a lot less of a PITA to move around the parking lot.

Yep for sure, different ways to do the same basic thing.

okay i didnt know it has different settings.

but yeah good mod but i would be worred about that thing coming out

No it doesnt lock it, it just keeps it in lsd mode where factory operation that paw flies out over 25mph and makes the g80 basically an open diff. This mod and any other with the spur/paw whatever you want to call it makes it behave like a normal locker at all speeds and not just under 25mph

^Yes, 2 tools (vice/death wheel) and subtraction sounds safer than addition and many tools, chips, (drill and tap) + modified set screw.

Just takes a second to take the hat off of it to lop the weight, though you do have to dig the ring gear off of it I guess, and that's it's own set of tools to get the oil slinger off of there (press the bearing off carefully or snip the oil slinger).

Might as well swap a open diff and do a Lincoln locker.

Won't that chirp the wheels when turning?

Nope. The beauty of a G80 is it's only welded when necessary.

Yep.

Not easier than welding a tab on to keep the weight down.
Probably easier than drilling and tapping, though I suspect the
OP did not remove the carrier from the housing.

Dismantling and cleaning the parts is always recommended.

And yes, no issues at parking speeds.

^Yes, 2 tools (vice/death wheel) and subtraction sounds safer than addition and many tools, chips, (drill and tap) + modified set screw.

Just takes a second to take the hat off of it to lop the weight, though you do have to dig the ring gear off of it I guess, and that's it's own set of tools to get the oil slinger off of there (press the bearing off carefully or snip the oil slinger).

I would for sure worry about the debris from drilling/tapping. OP
should change the oil back there shortly.

That's what I did, there used to be a writeup with pics that even showed where to cut the weight. I never had any problems with mine and have 50+ hours of track time on it.

The point was you don't need to take anything apart. Just remove the cover, drill a hole, tap it and put a set screw in it. Adjust the screw height by grinding it until the set screw recesses into the carrier, set it so it just touches the arm, and stake it in. Not going anywhere.

I was able to flush it out and wipe it all down, then reassemble the cover.

Back