• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1987 244 DL Autocrosser

275/50 is huge, like this huge.

53105880.jpg

The whole reason to go to 15" wheels is to get a SHORTER tire. I already have 25.6" tall tires in 275 width...275/50/15 are 0.1" shorter and 1lb heavier. Width would probably be similar if they didn't pinch it onto an 8" wheel for the measurement of the 275/50/15. And I don't want R6.

I've pretty much decided I should get 15x10 in 5.25" backspacing and just run spacers on the front. That way the rear track is as narrow as possible and I can use a spacer to get the lowest possible backspacing that will fit up front. Hoping to get a tire to test fit this weekend.

I think you and I talked about this at C-lisle. Buuuuuut whats the deal with the steering quickener you got there? You got plans to hook it up?

I just pulled a rack from the j-yard from a 242 no less. Weird. I'm just thinking maybe it's time to take out some turns or something.

Maybe the kaplhenke kit makes the quickener no longer needed?
Although I think it stresses different areas.

Can you imagine both? U-turn with like half turn of the wheel :omg:

We successfully autoxed the car this weekend with the roll correction cast components with settings at the fastest steering. It was awesome. Towery picked up a good bit of pace compared to previous SCCA events.

With the fastest setting we wouldn't want it any faster. Towery was thinking about going back to the mid setting to slow it down a little. I love the fast steering but it takes some getting used to. Its easy to put in too much steering input and over drive the car.

this event new for the car was the kaplhenke short struts, Koni Double adjustables, and the roll correctors.

I've decided not to use the quickener after trying these Kaplhenke spacers. The reason is steering speed/ratio.

The 1.5:1 quickener should transform 3.5 turns lock-to-lock to 2.3 turns. The quickest setting that we used this weekend is too quick in my opinion, and it's supposedly 2.5 turns. I wasn't taking my hands off the wheel and I could still get through a fast slalom. Before, I'd be overlapping and taking a hand off the wheel. Or toss and catch the wheel.

It was easy to scrub the front tires in a tight turn, so it will take some getting used to. I'm going to try the 2.8 setting and if I can still get through slaloms with two hands on the wheel, I'll leave it. The big tires and quicker ratio puts quite a load on the pump/rack/belt, and the 2.5 is pretty twitchy on the street, so I want to slow it down a bit. No reason to make it quicker than it needs to be.

I cone'd away my best runs on day 1 that cost me 2nd place and a trophy spot. Was in 4th place after day one and ended up 3rd behind an STi and an Evo. The car showed good pace for being on dead tires from '06 and it was pretty easy to drive fast when I didn't overdrive it. I was about 1.5sec quicker than Bne on each day. The Saturday course is modified slightly and run in the opposite direction on Sunday. The SM class was only 7 drivers I think, and nothing REALLY fast. Class winning STi had ~290whp/330trq and relatively new 245/40/17 Hoosier A6 and some minor suspension work. The Evo looked more like an SM car with its 285/30/18 V710, but he just wasn't that fast.

I dont think you will be loosing anything by going to the 2.8 steering. If we ran very small lots with tight courses I would suggest staying at the 2.5 but with the types of racing we get to do it might be nice to have it slightly slower.

With some fresh tires you could of probably taken first place in SM with some clean runs. new tires would of made clean runs easier to achieve. I think the fact that the track got rubbered in so much made your tires not suck as bad as they could have been but everyone in our run group had that advantage.

Hmm... good to hear, I just picked up a ZF from the junkyard. Cleaned it off today. Should I rebuild it? Held all of its fluid quite well.

Ben, those quicksteer adapters still on sale?

Is this more of a rub-to-rub? 2.5 "lock to lock" with those spacers has a lot more steering angle than a 2.5 lock to lock quick rack. Or does the 2.5 setting actually mean it's the same steering ratio of a 2.5 lock to lock quick rack?

Steering angle is going to be greater with these spacers, so if I had no tire rub at full lock, it's still 3.5 turns lock to lock because that's what the rack will do. But it's turning the wheels a farther distance for the same 3.5 turns of the wheel, so the rate of wheel turnage is quicker.

What I would like to try is to turn my stock 240 to full lock and measure the angle of the wheel as compared to the door on the car. Then turn the '87 to the same angle, start counting and turn the wheel back the other way til the other front wheel matches the angle of the stock full-lock. Then I can verify how many turns it takes to match the lock-to-lock steering angle of a stock 240.

Back