• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Got the diesel home -- pics -- D24T content

nice find man.
about the Auto tranny's on those diesels - I love the ZF -22. and I am not an automatic loving guy. I have driven several D24T's with auto and stick and can honestly say that I still perfer the stick. however, the auto D24T setup was faster. D24T with Lock up torque converter kicks some ass.

Dunno haven't checked yet. 250 miles was about 2/3 tank, whatever that means.

I paid $3k.

That means your getting gasser fuel mileage. FYI my 16 valve 740 gets about 24 mpg combined.

IDK what your plans are with the car, but if they were economy, you got owned.

That means your getting gasser fuel mileage. FYI my 16 valve 740 gets about 24 mpg combined.

IDK what your plans are with the car, but if they were economy, you got owned.

It's a guess, I have no idea how much it actually used. Just a shot in the dark based on the gauge. Also discovered the valve lash and pump timing are way, way off. Turns out the cold start device is jammed in the full cold position, so it is getting huge advance all the time. Very bad for MPG as well as the pistons and rings... :-(

I'll have a much better read on how it does mpg-wise once I get it all dialed in right and do an actual calculation. But to be honest mpg isn't the ultimate goal here... if it was I woulda stuck with VW diesels, my Rabbit gets 48mpg on the road. I just wanted a six-cylinder diesel, I like the way they run and sound. Plus WVO is somewhere in the future once everything else is taken care of. The Rabbit gets amazing mileage but is loud and slow and would be deadly in a crash. The Volvo is fast (relatively), smooth, comfy, and safe, and can still run on free fuel. 30 mpg on free fuel is still free.

Just filled up with 9.9gal B20, we'll see how the mileage does.

One guy who has a lot of D24Ts says his auto ones get better mileage and are more peppy. Huh. I think I'd still like the stick, though it turns out I'm gonna have to do a lot of work on it, my pilot bearing and pressure plate are apparently smoked...:roll:

How about this one? D24T 245, no bids, sweet car... I think it is the same one that someone posted pics of in the other thread? The one that was at an IPD meet? Looks nice...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...190291481586&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123

Just filled up with 9.9gal B20, we'll see how the mileage does.

One guy who has a lot of D24Ts says his auto ones get better mileage and are more peppy. Huh. I think I'd still like the stick, though it turns out I'm gonna have to do a lot of work on it, my pilot bearing and pressure plate are apparently smoked...:roll:

How about this one? D24T 245, no bids, sweet car... I think it is the same one that someone posted pics of in the other thread? The one that was at an IPD meet? Looks nice...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...190291481586&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:MOTORS:1123

Yea, its the same car that was at IPD.

30 mpg on free fuel is still free.

Booyaa Gassers, Booyaa.

WVO/SVO is why d24/t's will always win the mileage game. Cleaner emissions too.

I wish I had your background in VW diesels when I got into d24s, it sounds like you know what your doing.

Since you already know who Tom Bryant is, you will also follow his advice and use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil at change intervals of at least 5,000 miles...correct?
IIRC, Tom runs his oil to 10K intervals.

factoid: the D24 is the world's smallest 6-cyl diesel engine to be put into a production car*

*according to wikipedia :-P. No idea if this is actually correct

Love how clean the car looks. big +1.

?? Well I'm 5'11"... guess I just like being a little closer up. With the messed up clutch cable you really gotta get the pedal all the way to the floor.

I don't remember where I read this, but I think when the D24T first came out in '83 it was also the world's fastest diesel car. Might still have been in '85 when this was built, though I dunno, by then the BMW 524td was out too and that might've been a little quicker. Who knows though, that car was only automatic and this is a stick..

It was the worlds faster production diesel car at its time. I know I hit higher than 100 in mine - just cant remember how much higher.

I just replace my clutch cable on my 240 diesel. Mine broke while I was in second gear and drove 3 miles to school that way. I think the cable different by length compare to the gasoline 240. Im not sure about the 700 series.

I had the throttle cable snap on mine. Drove it 5 miles at tickover. Got into 4th gear at 30 though at 1000rpm.

As for mileage, I drove mine back at 70 for 400+ miles and got over 55mpg so they can get decent fuel figures - they just need good tlc

I think 5k on synthetic is what it's gonna be, yeah. Tom does 25k, but I'm not sure I'd push it that far...:-P I did our old Passat TDI every 10k and it was no problem, but that engine didn't have the same kind of dependency on good oil that the D24 has.

Just ordered a new clutch cable from Volvo, hope it does the trick or I'll be dropping the tranny next weekend...

Re mileage, I hope to get mine up to the high 30s on the highway... with high boost and low fueling, high tire pressures, and a light foot I think it should be possible. I discovered my fuel gauge is way off, read empty but only took 10 gallons to fill. Just looked in the manual and it's supposed to take 15.8 so my early mileage estimate will definitely end up being low...

I have 2 of those wagons. One is an '85 745 that I rebuilt the D24T engine in and swapped the ZF for M46+o/d. Rear axle is still 3.91:1. My best mileage is 31 mpg but I have a heavy foot.
Its quite peppy too but I doubt if the mileage will get much higher with a taller rear axle. Its the same weight and will need the same HP to drive it the same speed. The lower rpm's will not help much like they would with a gas engine. 80 mph is 3700 rpm. Stock was about 3200 rpm.

The other is a '92 745 Turbo that I converted to Diesel with D24T and ZF out of an 85 740 sedan. I get slightly more than 28 mpg (404 miles to a tankful, 14.3 galls). Rear axle is 3.73 1041 locking.

I would be very surprised if you better 32 mpg when all is said and done but I would love for you to prove me wrong.

Steve

Re mileage, I hope to get mine up to the high 30s on the highway... with high boost and low fueling, high tire pressures, and a light foot I think it should be possible. I discovered my fuel gauge is way off, read empty but only took 10 gallons to fill. Just looked in the manual and it's supposed to take 15.8 so my early mileage estimate will definitely end up being low...

Re mileage, I hope to get mine up to the high 30s on the highway... with high boost and low fueling

Dont turn the fuel down you need the pressure to atomize correctly. My mileage went from 13ish with my truck to 22mpg after i actually turned the pump up. I also set the timing at 12*.

I have 86 turbo diesel 740 wagon, looks exactly like the one on here, motor everything, I did the mpg once and got 29 and I had been working which means delivering hot zzaas.

My mileage crossing the country heavily loaded ended up being about 31. Should do a bit better when it doesn't look like this...

p1010002fns.jpg

p1010006qer.jpg

good to know I plan on moving out to Arizona driving from Connecticut and we have the same exact car, I am curious what did you do to prepare the car for the trip? if anything, I plan on doing the timing belt but only because I don't know when it was last changed

You should get onto D24T.com, there is a lot more knowledge and support for these cars over there.

I did a LOT of work in preparation for giving my car the kind of abuse you see in the pictures above... the timing belt is really key if you don't know when it was last done and it doesn't look good (look for cracks where it bends over the top of the cam sprocket). However, the timing belt on this car is a unfortunately a job that really REQUIRES some special tools. If you try to do it without them, the best case scenario is that your car will not run right because you didn't reset the timing using the correct tools. It may not even start if the timing is far enough off. The worst case scenario is that you don't achieve enough torque on the crank bolt, or set the cam timing too far off, and the valves hit the pistons and the motor is toast. You gotta break everything down, lock it up with the special Diesel timing instruments, set the timing belt tension just right, then use more special tools to torque it all down once the settings are right. The stakes are really high on a D24T, because this is an extreme interference engine, while on a redblock gasser Volvo the belt can break and nothing bad will happen.

You need to either have the right stuff and the know-how to do the job, or find someone who does. Don't try to do it bootleg style with paint marks and a Hail Mary, because you will regret it... these motors live long and fruitful lives if cared for properly but they are not at all tolerant of incorrect maintenance, and will die quickly if subjected to that. I think that's where a huge part of their bad reputation comes from, compared to redblocks which will run forever even if you neglect em. :-P

The real major weak point on these engines is cooling, so that is the other big thing you will have to worry about on your car before taking it on a long trip. Especially if you will be driving through heat. Make sure your radiator is flowing efficiently and not clogged, have the cooling system flushed, and replace any questionable hoses/seals. Make sure your headgasket is solid, otherwise that will lead to overheating and a warped head. There is an easy test you can do to check the condition of the headgasket. Get the expansion tank cap and thermostat tested, or if in doubt, replace them with new OEM Volvo parts (189F t-stat).

If you need help with this stuff PM me and I will try to put you in touch with someone in your area who can lend a hand getting your diesel in shape for the trip... would hate to have ya not make it and another D24T die along the way!

Is yours a manual trans, or automatic?

It is an automatic unfortunately, I am going to start work on it towards the end of the month right now I am just getting starting to move out, first things first I have to find a sunroof because mine happened to catch wind while I was driving in the fast lane on a bad part of I-84, then the timing belt, I will pm you if need be, your guidance is much appreciated

Back