• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 760 Turbo Intercooler, Red block

V2T

Hey, First post here on TurboBricks. I have a couple big issues with my new (to me) Volvo 760 TI. It has 250,xxx miles. My uncle gave it to me. he needed to down size his collection of cars. Lol. So, the first problem I have is the cold start idle. In the morning, I go to start her up, she starts for about 1-2 seconds, and dies. Does it REPEATEDLY. I have to almost floor it to keep it on. PRetty much, it won't idle. UNTIL it's warmed up. even when it's warmed up, if I turn it off for just 30 seconds, I have to do the same procedure. about 4 times to keep it alive. Cold starts, i have to start it (after it dies) like 25+ times. (SERIOUSLY). While i'm trying to get it to idle, I can keep the pedal down just a little bit, so it's not exactly an idle, but it has enough throttle to get it warmed up, so it will idle. it takes maybe 1 1/2 - 2 minutes (after it is finally running) for it to get warmed up enough to idle.
Also, when it does idle, and i have the heater or A/C on, the idle will fluctuate. horribly. From 700 RPMs to 2k. just flys up and down. CONSTANTLY if ethier one of the blowers are on for the heater or A/C. with them off, it idles OKAY.
What's the deal?

Thanks for any help, in advance turbobricks Community. :)

For starters, check out this site: http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/

A good amount of great info for troubleshooting. Outside of that, it could be a few things... Look up a stage 0 mod (basically a thorough tune-up), check for vacuum leaks, clean the IAC and throttle body, etc.

EDIT: Also, this should be in the maintenance section, if a mod would be so inclined to move it.

The FAQ will have all the answers you need.

Sounds like a bad idle valve, or wiring connection to/from the valve though. Should be a pretty simple/cheap fix.

Get a shop manual and some metric tools and you can fix just about anything on that car.

sounds like he's having a hell of a lot harder time keeping it running. idle valve should just mean he'd need to keep his foot on the gas to allow enough air through

Any smoke from the exhaust pipe? It sounds like it's running really rich until it warms up and enters closed loop.

Check coolant temp sensor to make sure the resistance is within spec
Check your fuel pressure regulator for leaks

Questions:
Has your timing belt, distributor or AMM recently been replaced?

Exactly. I have to KEEP my foot on the gas pedal. ALTHOUGH, the first 5-8 starts of the day (when it is real cold) WOT doesn't help. pedal to the floor, and it STILL dies. but after a couple minutes of retrying, i have to keep it at 1500RPM's for 2 minutes or so. and then I gentle let off the throttle. and it will ethier die, or idle REALLY LOW (low enough that the RPM gauge can't even register the speed?) like 500. then once it's warmed, it idles at 700-900 RPM's. I'm going right after work today to get the manuaL. BUT, last time I looked, there was only a manual for 1980-1988 (or something like that, the year ended at 88' and I couldn't find any past 88' for the V 760's. would the 88' manual work? As for Smoke out the pipe, none. I mean, I have to be in the car until it's warmed up so, I rarely see any. But, I seem to recall seeing smoke a couple times in the rearview mirror.
How do I check my Fuel regulator for leaks?
I have a picture of a part i found at the JY. Made by Bosch (obviously) so it was like freakin' 40 dollars. I took a picture, haven't bought it yet. I'm wondering if it could possible be the issue?

http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae78/DtothuH/Volvon/?action=view&current=mms_picture.jpg

Thanks again Guys!

Last edited:
Idle Issue

Welcome to T-bricks, I have an 89, 765 and had a similar issue last year. It ended up being related to a small vacuum leak. Heat in the engine compartment makes all of the hoses brittle after a while so replacing all of them would not be a bad place to start. People have mentioned several other possible sources of the problem so unfortunately a bit of patience might be necessary. Good luck getting it solved before the weather gets even colder.

Thats the idle control valve. Don't start buying random parts until you know what the problem is (or likely is) or you'll go broke!

Just pull the vacuum hose off the regulator. The idle should change (at least momentarily). If the idle doesn't change, or fuel comes out where the hose attaches, it's likely a bad FPR (or the vacuum hose).

Lol, No, I didn't buy it. it was 40 dollars, and came off of a Volvo with 293,xxx ,miles. I just wanted a picture to show you guys what i thought might had been the issue. Because, I talked to my uncle (Which he is the person that I have obtained this awesome Volvo from) and he had looked it up previously, and found some results that lead to this here piece. apparently, it isn't the issue. Any one have an idea on my question about the manual? will a book for a 1980-81 (?)-1988 volvo work for my 88? no others are available! And I will analyze more of what you all have told me to investigate and check out so I can hopefully fix this awful issue! I will check AutoBones first for that manual and see if they have vaccum hoses! Thanks, a lot, Again guys!
And Patience is a Virtue I have!:)

The manual you're referring to seems to be the Haynes 740/760 82-88. It has a lot of value to you, as your 760 should be a 4cyl turbo, thus Bosch lh2.2. <--- this is important to know, as the later lh2.4 parts will not work on your car. The 89 740 NA went to lh2.4 and even though it's the same year, and many other parts will fit your car, the ignition and fuel systems will not.
There is a British version of the manual that goes to 91, but the earlier one should be fine.
You don't mention if it's a wagon or sedan. The sedan has IRS, and both have Nivomat self leveling shocks; neato, but spendy.

having a similar issue with my 745t.

i know my base idle is screwed up so thats something that needs adjusting down the road, but recently the car has stopped starting when cold easily. not until the pedal is floored down.

i'm leaning towards an in-tank fuel pump and/or fuel pump check valve.

ofcourse ill have to do more diagnostics of this but i probably wont have time for another week to do so.

Oh my. I'm terrible at this.... It's a Sedan. I will get that Manual and check it out. see if I" can find out what is wrong!! Thanks again All.

Back