• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project GodSpeed

Deacon07

Project GoodSpeed

Hello,

This is my first time with all of this stuff and wanted to get a running record of how things are progressing and maybe get a little help from the all knowing here. To start. I'm Dan and this is my $1,000 Volvo 240DL Wagon. Not sure if it should be called anything differently, please don't beat me up too badly.

zz8aV16.jpg

It runs and drives pretty well actually. The rear fender where the spare tire sits is rusted out pretty bad, interior is turning to dust, suspension is...not good, brakes a spongy, and the only things that actually work are the brake lights, speedo, temp gauge, and sometimes the heater motor.

Last edited:
project GD

Welcome to the TBS, You/'ll get plenty of help here and no killing allowed !!!!

Any questions i am available take care
DZ:rofl:

Welcome. Lots of resources here, looks like someone chopped the springs up front. A good bath, cut and wax will result in pretty good paint results, I’m sure.

Thanks guys. I did do a test spot with some 3 step meguiars(sp) I had laying around and the paint looked pretty good. There are some other rust spots that worry me a little. Especially around the windshield area where the weatherstripping is all jacked up. I'm hoping it can just be cleaned up and put in a new piece of rubber.

I worked on the turn signals, headlights and wipers last night. I got the signals working. I think the actual contacts in the stalk was corroded. So, tore that apart and cleaned it up. Seemed to work well once I got it back together. Similar situation with the headlight switch, but, I broke that. I think the back cover is porcelain and I....wasn't gentle with it. Wipers, I'm not 100% on. I cleaned all the contacts on the stalk and it tried to move for a second then just gave up. Next move is to pull the wiper motor and clean it up see if I can get it rolling. No sign of anything from the tailgate motor, but that's for another day. Also, seemed to have ground issues from the stalk mounting to the actual steering column so I might get into cleaning that as well. Once i get those things functioning and I don't take a flamethrower to the door open/seat belt buzzer thing, I'll move on to getting the taillights all up and running. I'll share pics of the interior tonight if I remember. I will warn you. It's pretty bad.

As far as the springs go. You think it's sitting further down than just sag? I haven't looked at it yet, but i suppose that would better explain the ride home. Should I be worried about the cut springs?

Cutting springs is extremely common and really just fine, you may need new struts if the ride is bouncy, that’s an indication that the rebound is gone. Pretty inexpensive and simple job.

Haha, yeah, the interior is.... rough....
After seeing the one black rim, I think that's the color of wheels I'd like to go with. Whenever that time comes.

Weekend progress update is. I got all of the exterior lights work and the main wiper motor working. Added an extra ground as suggested from all of the searches.

Pulled the passenger door card cleaned it up as best I could. It's super faded. Glued most of the plastic back together. Just waiting on a door handle and package tray thing to put back on. Then that door will be done. I'm missing the door lever plastic cover and I cant find them online anywhere....

Weekend progress update is. I got all of the exterior lights work and the main wiper motor working. Added an extra ground as suggested from all of the searches.

Pulled the passenger door card cleaned it up as best I could. It's super faded. Glued most of the plastic back together. Just waiting on a door handle and package tray thing to put back on. Then that door will be done. I'm missing the door lever plastic cover and I cant find them online anywhere....

For small plastic bits post in the wanted section. For interior restoration this paint is a match to the stock interior color SEM Products 15173 Camel Color... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PH6MOYW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks for the heads up. I ordered the paint suggested.

Weekend update: pulled the seats to clean underneath and put cheap seat covers on. Made $1.45 to go toward the build so that's a win. Got the dash back together as best I could. Ended up ordering 2 different column covers. Apparently there are different sizes. Whoops. Still need to figure out why the fuel gauge doesn't work.

Previous owner was clearly a smoker that couldn't find the ashtray often.

The e-brake was broken so I replaced that as well. Pulled the rear panels to install a new fuel pump and I'm not excited about that project. Tight spaces and all.

Is there a carpet match replacement for the rear floor panels?

Is there a carpet match replacement for the rear floor panels?

Main cabin carpet or cargo area?

In any case, I've had very good results dying the carpet with Duplicolor Fabric Paint.

No, it's not an exact match, but it's a sight better than what I had and the color works well.

Remove the carpets, wash/scrub and dry, paint and re-install - of course, after inspecting floor, cleaning out the sills, handling any problems and adding sound insulation while the carpets are out!

Back