• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Intake Hose vs. PS Pump Belt

$te4dyBrickin'

Originally posted in "What Did You Do To Your Ride/Car Today
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=5820633#post5820633 post #5472
Posting here so I can read without signing in

So im just looking for some insight on an intake hose that is getting cut in to by my power steering pump belt. All my motor mounts are new, but the intake box itself can move around quite some distance. That includes straight on over to the PS pump belt. I have already "duct tape welded" the hole that was originally there when I first got this econobox. Fortunately it's air being drawn in before the volumeter, just unfiltered. :/

I now see that it continues to do so..... so I zip tied the hose to the battery to pull it back from the belt and also reduce the amount of traveling distance it has.
oxjajAQl.jpg

The "duct tape welding" is only temp until a can get a new hose. I want an OEM one but im open to suggestions considering the fact that everything and its mom is NLA.... educate me! TIA

Have you tried a shorter power steering belt? It may swing the the pump and adjustment down a bit so it isn't so close. For example a power steering belt may have the generic size of 17365. The last three digits is the belt length. So you can try a 17360 belt which is a half inch shorter or go all the way and use a 17355 belt which would be an inch shorter. It is what I did on my 82 turbo.

^^I appreciate the response! So I'm going to repeat what you said but using the current dimensions of my PS belt. I have, from Roadmax, a number 17425ap. The 425 part of that is literally the belt length. I never knew that! Learning something new everyday!!! Anyways, so I should try to find a 17420 or 415? Awesome! I'll be out on the hunt.
Do you happen to have any suggestions for an intake hose, too? When im searching around the interweb I keep finding hoses with extra nipples on them for other vacuum lines. Being super K jet, my intake hose has no extra vacuum hoses connected to it. Its only from the intake box straight to the volumeter…. that's it. On the Volvo parts webstore, the part# is 463290, and of course, NLA. (Yet the one with the extra vac. nips are still kickin it)

Yes you got it. It is the belt length with the first two digits in inches and the last digit is tenths of an inch. The lambda kjet cars use a round hose and the kjet non lambda use a different hose with the extra nipples on there for a vacuum amplifier. So any kjet lambda n/a 240 uses your hose.

Since the original is no longer available. You can make up your own using two coupler hoses and a pipe in the same size as the original. The coupler hoses come with straight or 45 and 90 degree pieces so you can make a run from the air filter box to the air flow sensor.

If you have to have a Volvo one I'd put a thread in wanted.

Already! Guess I'll just have to fab up an intake hose. On another note, after all the cleaning I did today and yet the surging came back..... that's right. Came. Back. I cleaned my fuel filter again and yet it continues to surge...… 70's to 93 J - land cars, I'm coming back. This Volvo is whooping my ass royally. Seems as if The Land of the Rising Sun is better suited to me than I thought. That sucks, I really dig these Volvo's..... but damn bro

Not giving up.... does anyone have an idea of what this little pin thingy could be in between the fuel distributor and the volumeter? (circled)
SwEfaQ6l.jpg

I had noticed that it was turned slightly counter-clockwise from its original position.... before my hand collided with it will dealing with that PITA of a plunger... thingy. In the photo I have it turned back to roughly where it was before. Im not sure if it did anything though seeing as my day was ruined and I just wanted to leave the whip alone.

When I turn this pin, I do feel the slightest of resistance. It also never makes a move during normal vehicle operation. Could this be the mixture screw thingy? I understand that its supposed to be a 3mm? allen wrench, but this leads down into some insert.... hard to explain. Better if I can get a pic. I'm not finding any vacuum leaks around the area I was playing in today (now yesterday) and the only thing that was off was this pin. The car magically got a rough idle and some surging after I had did some routine cleaning on it.

Inb4 my car doesn?t idle anymore

Funny you say that! Fortunately the rain has halted me from f-ing up anything for the day. Before the rain though, I gave the little pin a few slight tugs and it seems as if it's actually in there. Like for real for real. Idk.... plus now I have to defend my fuse box with a sweater to soak up water coming in thru my windshield. Not the worst thing ever doe (had a 91 Cressida that leaked from the sunroof, straight down by the ecu onto the floorboard)

Ok so a bright sunny day today... time to royally F something up. I did some more searching about that idle screw. the wire/pin thingy is actually a factory plug for the adjustment screw that's prolly been there since the land before time. Im guessing that this pin doesn't actually do anything to the AFR mix soooooooo, im ruling that out for now. I guess im going to go back in between the throttle body and air meter to look even closer for vac leaks.

oooooooooooook, I'm here to shut this down. Turns out my stupid ass slightly disconnected a connector for the frequency valve. Actually, idk if that's exactly what it's for but it use to be that when I rev'd the engine (with the throttle pulley thingy) you could hear a high frequency pitch that seems to match the throttle input. That had disappeared the day before yesterday and I didn't notice anything until today when I was making sure everything was tidy up.... everything. Plugged that back in, got a high pitch sound again, and the surging seemed to die off as I drove about 10mi. Once I got back to my subdivision, the surging in low 1st, 2nd, and 3rd had also took a hike. Im glad to say the trusty Volvo is back in action, truly.

I also wanted to say something about that pin. This is probably a figment of my imagination, but as I kept turning the pin clockwise, it almost seemed as if some of the surging was also being nursed. BUT, being that the mixture was never off before and that there was no change in the amount of raw gas smell coming out the exhaust or looming around the car, it more than likely did nothing. It was completely mental.

Im not messing with anything else for a while now. I'm going to the skatepark and that's final..... wish it was Burnside!!!!

Glad you got it sorted out. Always good to double or even triple check what you work on. The kjet system is straight forward and a good setup for diy work. Hope that shorter belt works for you.

Back