• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

Slow progress on the motor, but it's pretty much ready to drop in. Like I said earlier, I got an M181 and had noah244ti shorten it to the B20 pump length. I threw an IPD spring (blue is stock, black is stiffer) and reinforcement sleeve on it for good measure.

I also made a really simple baffle for the pan. I have a really well-baffled B20 pan that I got from Pat, but the HiPerfAuto baffle plate got in the way of the M181 by a decent margin, so I decided on something simpler. This won't be a track car, and I think this baffle should help the oil starvation on left turn issues that the upright motors have. It's not pretty, but it's the inside of the pan, so I'm ok with it.

I also got 19t oil lines sorted. AN straight adapter off the block to a banjo on the housing, and a simple barb on the return from the housing, with Aeroquip hose going to the Yoshifab return adapter on the block. Simple. Also pictured is the Kinugawa wastegate I got, with an 8 psi spring for now. I'm hoping that will help keep the drivetrain alive for longer. Since this was taken, I also put a 240 oil cooler plate on, with banjos for easy hose routing to the stock oil cooler. (Thanks RWC)

I think that's basically it for the motor until I get the intake manifold. I'm getting pretty anxious to get it going, especially every time I have to drive uphill with the tired old B18.

To keep myself busy, I brought the car to a friend of mine who does high end body work and paint, and had him help me shine up the old paint. We decided that the roof and hood are so far gone, that we might as well spray clear over it to seal it up and keep the rest of the primer from washing off in the rain and running down the sides of the car. We masked it off and used some decent rattle can clear, nothing special. Then he took some rubbing compound to the rest of the paint. The old girl cleans up nicely.

Finally, huge thanks to NoSprk for finding me some tan headrest that perfectly match the new interior. Big improvement over the black ones I had in there.

Fantastic! It looks so clean!

Thanks, Thomas! I used Great White high heat wax to shine up the engine bay paint. Curious to see how it'll hold up.

really nicely! im interested what you going to do with the inlet manifold and the brake booster.

I'm actually having Yoshifab build me a manifold to fit with the stock booster. The runners will be curved upward and the plenum will sit above them, and it's supposed to clear the booster. I haven't seen it yet, but I'll definitely share the details once it's done.

Seen some people adapt the chevy 9" booster and others use a p80

Car is looking good. What trans are you using m41?

Thanks! I put the M41 behind the B23ft for now. This swap is so involved, and I have pretty limited time, so I want to get the motor running and broken in before I think about a transmission swap.

Very sexy... I need a 140. You going full MS?

Thank you! I'm using LH 2.4. My ultimate goal is just a solid 250 hp, and that's been done on LH. The motor has squirters, 9.4:1 SCR, a 15g converted to a 19t, iPD turbo cam, and a big eBay intercooler. I think it'll run nicely on LH with some chips.

that's nice that you can use the original brake booster, i have one from a nissan micra, that's working also but original is nicer. like to see some pics of the manifold wen its don.

that's nice that you can use the original brake booster, i have one from a nissan micra, that's working also but original is nicer. like to see some pics of the manifold wen its don.

Have you thought about using a smaller dual diaphragm booster? I was looking at something like this. It should give just a little more vacuum assist than the stock 9".

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tff-2222nb/overview/

So, my 142 now has B23ft sitting in it. Pretty pleased about that.

(pic)

That looks awesome. Is that flat black paint in the engine bay? (I'll have to show this to the man painting my 142, who doesn't agree that a black engine bay would look good with a white car).

And which engine mounts are you using?

That looks awesome. Is that flat black paint in the engine bay? (I'll have to show this to the man painting my 142, who doesn't agree that a black engine bay would look good with a white car).

Thanks. The engine bay is actually original Dark Green paint, that I buffed up a bit. It looks really dark.

I'm making my mounts from 1/4" plate. I had a set of the Yoshi mount adapters, but I didn't like how the engine was sitting a little slanted and I thought it'd be fun to make some. I'll share that when I'm done this weekend.

We finished the mounts yesterday and the motor is finally bolted in, instead of resting on a floor jack. I used The Yoshi plates that I already had as the base of the mount, then built out the rest with more 1/4" plate. I think I could have used 3/16" and been just fine. Anyway, The motor is in, and sits pretty much dead in the center of the car, and upright, so I'm happy.

I put the stock radiator in, and there's about 1/4 to 5/8" between the water pump snout and the radiator core. Pretty tight. Looks like I'll be using some pusher fans on the front of the radiator. I tilted my intercooler forward a bit and I think that'll make room for a couple 9" fans. We'll see.

By next weekend I'm shooting to have a new alternator mounting bracket figure out. I bought the one that mechaniman used for his swap, but I didn't realize that B230's and B23's had slightly different water pump outlets. His bracket was on a 230, and I have a 23. If I had a dollar for every time I've impulsively bought something for this project and later realized it wouldn't work. I guess I'd still have lost a a bunch of money...

These engine mounts you made look terrific.

Nice work.

I put the stock radiator in, and there's about 1/4 to 5/8" between the water pump snout and the radiator core. Pretty tight..

Another guy building a 142 here in Oz has the same issue. He's planning on using a water pump out of a 360, which AFAIK was never on the USA sales catalogs. They shoe-horned both B19 (2 litre B21) and B200 (2 litre B230) engines into these cars, and they used water pumps with smaller snouts to make the whole shebang fit.

JFTR, these are the part numbers -

B200 engine = 3344252 (for B230)
B19 engine = 3344253 (for B21, B23)

Skandix carry both pumps, e.g.:

1000066.jpg

JFTR, these are the part numbers -

B200 engine = 3344252 (for B230)
B19 engine = 3344253 (for B21, B23)

Skandix carry both pumps, e.g.:

1000066.jpg

Thanks! My little 110 MIG didn't like that 1/4" plate, but my friend has a better welder and much more experience, so we got it done.

Thanks for the info on the water pump. I had read about that option early on in my research, but never found part numbers and kind of gave up on it.

I'll seriously look into that if the new radiator I got doesn't fit.

Back