View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 07:24 AM   #22
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickborg View Post
Thanks for the kind words. Funny you should mention undercoating- I'm currently looking into what it will take to keep it from turning to dust in winter. The undercoating on the car is currently all there, it's just also very crispy. I'm thinking 3M Rubberized Undercoating will be a good option, but I haven't really found much for fluid film/cavity wax that people like over the long term. If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.
Maybe here some useful info. https://www.oldtimer-markt.de/rostschutztest
Its in German but one of the better tests. You can easily see per product what it does. Teil 1 2 3 on the bottom of the page leads you to the 1st 2nd 3rd tests, each a few years later down the road.

Bear in mind that relatively fresh sheet metal has different needs for the wax/grease to stick than a rusted piece of sheet metal in a real old crusty car, like in the test. I'm using either Fluid Film or Mike Sanders.
Can you get some kind of paint-oil? I used "Owatrol" oil, smells line seed based, to freshen up old under body coating before smearing new stuff on it a few days later. Probably similar oils can be found for treating wood paneling and stuff on ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote