• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Fuel leak on turn

LC4CARL

Aero challenged
'87 245.

Strong fuel smell after hard left turns. Pretty sure I'm getting fuel in the right "butt cheek." Filler tube union to tank looks ok. Tried a different filler cap. Visible in the filler when the flap is depressed is a clear plastic tube. Maybe to vent air while filling? Stumped.

Thx.

Shouldn't this have a drain tube or something?

IMG_8072-M.jpg

There should be a hard plastic tube going to the hole through buttcheek.
Also check the o-ring on that filler cap, it may be dry cracked.

Yeah. Mine suffers that every once in a while too. Check the cap seal for cracks/damage/wear, then make sure the filler neck is still round. Mine was slightly egg shaped and needed a very ginger manipulation to round out with a crescent wrench(be very careful and don't over torque, it can crack). I found a gas cap from a P2 car last week and the threads and sealing ring are a match. Haven't had any leaks since. As for that lovely bib around the filler, like petiww said, it needs a plastic tube, its routed down, inside the car and out the but check on that side.

I think Billy Mays mentioned out-of-round fillers at one point. Now I understand.

The plastic tube just fits into the rubber "bib?" I'm thinking that I'd rather just have spilled fuel run down the exterior vs risk it leaking into the interior.

Be so nice to resolve this. Can't wait.

Thx.

The plastic tube inside the metal filler tube is supposed to be there? I ask as inside the car is another "vent tube" that appears to run externally from the tank to the upper portion of the metal filler tube.

Pretty sure the VW's don't have this problem, being air-cooled and all...

OMG. Just took a good look at the fuel filler tube with the cap removed. It is no longer, uh, round...

I should be an auto tech.

:cool:

Tried to make the filler "round" with my Channel Locks. Ran her down to the roundabout. Fail! Epic fail...

Stupid car. Who in their right mind would fix up an import station wagon? I'm getting a Mustang...

To replace the filler tube we: A) drop the tank and draw it down and out? or B) disconnect and take it out the gas door?

Thx.

Great tank thread. Love the 30* bend on the fuel pump.

Best I can tell, the Volvo filler is discontinued. Would be a bit of a crap shoot at the JY to find an unbent unit. Spent some time tweaking mine. Flipped the cap seal around in hopes of putting some new rubber on the neck surface. We'll see.

Do not drop tank. Remove neck.

I commonly lower tanks and sneak in there to disconnect all sorts of things. It's commonly required as part of tank drops on modern cars.

Just a neck on these is a hose clamp.

I just lowered the right side of the tank to replace my filler tube. I was brave because everything around the hose clamp was relatively clean because the fresh assembly. I probably wouldn't try it on a 30+ original assembly, but thats just me...

Also it is not that hard to remove the tank at all if its low on fuel.

Can you get somebody to lay in there and check where the fuel actually comes from?

Btw source that hard plastic tube there. :-P

A crescent wrench works better for rounding the neck. I use a large crescent wrench at work all the time to unbend flanges on the Police Academy vehicles.

Back