• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

oil cooler routing on a 240 +T

Water cooling your oil is certainly better than nothing, but it isn't going be able to remove heat on par with a larger surface area air cooled setup. Your average oil cooler seems to yield a 15-20 degrees F drop in oil temps.

Running the water cooled setup does have some advantages (warms up the coolant quicker), but... ultimately it also imposes a heavier load on the cooling system of the car.

With respect to the OEM thermostat on the oil cooler setup... that's just the temperature it OPENS at. You're not going to keep oil temps at 176F - they'll be higher during steady state running conditions.

At the end of the day, airflow is the final dictator of heat dissipation. With water to oil, you?re relying on your radiator to be able to dissipate heat from the coolant which in turn cools the oil.

With air to oil, you are still relying on airflow (and a little convection) to remove heat from the oil.

Depending on driving style and hp and climate, water to oil makes the most sense. Oil gets up to temp faster which is better for the engine.

As long as you have the n/a stud then its bolt on.

To clarify further...the Volvo OE sandwich plate requires a LONGER stud in the oil filter location. It appears that you are using an alternate solution where the SHORTER n/a stud will work.

I only bring this up because in my +T conversion, I needed to remove the stock n/a B21 stud and replace it with a longer OE stud in order to use the OE sandwich plate.

OP...do you also have the OE 240T sandwich plate?

See middle of this pic:
parts2012014.jpg

Last edited:
I am using the OE volvo setup. I got it with the longer stud to replace whats on my car now.

Current plan is to remove stock airbox, install oil cooler in stock location, put a pod on the end of the MAF and let everyone make fun of me for it for a few weeks until I can finish the +T.

I am confident I have all the correct bits, im just making my life more complicated by not doing everything at once. But such is life when you have 2 kids and commute to work in your project car!

To clarify further...the Volvo OE sandwich plate requires a LONGER stud in the oil filter location. It appears that you are using an alternate solution where the SHORTER n/a stud will work.

I only bring this up because in my +T conversion, I needed to remove the stock n/a B21 stud and replace it with a longer OE stud in order to use the OE sandwich plate.

OP...do you also have the OE 240T sandwich plate?

See middle of this pic:
parts2012014.jpg

Yes the adapter plate comes with a threaded nipple adapter that secures the adapter plate to the block and will do that because it is threaded both male and female. Once it is snug to the block the adapter will show male threads that are 3/4-16 thread just like the standard thread of the stock nipple. You need to down size the diameter of your oil filter to a 3" filter with 3/4-16 threads and that will give you a whole lot of options. I listed a few above and prefer the motorcraft filter its built with good quality parts and has a bypass valve in it so when I need to start my car in the -20 or colder days I know thick oil and a clogged filter won't be an issue, or even high rpms where the pump over supplies the filter for some reason even though its not likely to happen its a piece of mind.

So I am adding a T to my 92 NA 240 wagon...oil cooling is new to the topics I have been researching when adding a T to an NA car. Not opposed to it just didn't know it was a thing, needed, nice to have etc? Getting tougher to find parts in the yards...what is a good bolt on kit to get if necessary? Can I add the cooler just on its own to my NA motor? Was trying to having everything set parts wise so i could bang out the install in a long weekend...right now I got most of my stuff from a 740, just ordered some orange tops on here as well.

My laundry list of stuff I need for a cheap and easy +T is growing :roll: and my parts room is getting full...

Please educate...

Thanks

So I am adding a T to my 92 NA 240 wagon...oil cooling is new to the topics I have been researching when adding a T to an NA car. Not opposed to it just didn't know it was a thing, needed, nice to have etc? Getting tougher to find parts in the yards...what is a good bolt on kit to get if necessary? Can I add the cooler just on its own to my NA motor? Was trying to having everything set parts wise so i could bang out the install in a long weekend...right now I got most of my stuff from a 740, just ordered some orange tops on here as well.

My laundry list of stuff I need for a cheap and easy +T is growing :roll: and my parts room is getting full...

Please educate...

Thanks

The aftermarket kit I tried and mentioned will work on an n/a car , just remove the oil filter install the adapter plate mount your cooler , run your lines, and install filter...

This set up will only work on 240's 700/900 series cars the engine mounts will be in the way. The only modification needed is mounting the cooler.

Please educate...

Thanks

I ran my 16vT without an oil cooler for a little while with an oil cooled turbo. I was only driving the car on weekends and was changing the oil a lot because it would come out black AF. Has not done that since I added the oil cooler. I would recommend going ahead and doing the oil cooler if you've got all of the parts laying around and ready to go. It's not the end of the day if you do the +t and add the oil cooler later however. Do make sure you've got a thermostatic sandwich plate whether it be Volvo or aftermarket.

Would that aftermarket cooler work on a B230FT out of a 1995 940T that I plan to swap into a 1991 240? I assume the blocks are the same and would only need to change the pipe possibly.

Back