• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

YASVT (Yet Another Sixteen Valve Turbo) - now 16V Whiteblock (LS)

Parts keep arriving. I have a bellhousing, a flywheel, an EFI Source Gold Box (I got lazy, what can I say) and this showed up today:

IMG_20171228_161557_zpstuxtstmo.jpg

It's the JK40C - the version after the CD009 - 370Z 6 speed manual trans.

I have an adapter kit coming, after I cut off the bellhousing on the trans, this will bolt right up and with the exception of a special clutch disc, it uses all stock LS1/T56 Camaro parts - bellhousing, starter, flywheel, pressure plate, pilot bearing, clutch slave.

I tried welding the studs to get them out of the head - I don't think my crappy MIG welder has enough zap. Plus it was something like 5 degrees outside while I was trying it. Spent about 30 minutes trying to get something solidly stuck to the studs, nothing. It would break off each time. At least it didn't seem to do anything at all to the aluminum? I finally gave up and took it to my favorite machine shop./ They said they were a real PITA - the broken ends usually come right out but these were stuck in there pretty good. $80 and they're all gone now.

Trans adapter kit from Collins arrives today, a bunch of manifolds and tubes and a turbo arrives tomorrow.

That's about all the major parts. I still need to get some an alt/PS/wp on it. Probably go with Camaro style. And a starter.

I'm having slight buyers remorse on the trans kit after seeing this one:
https://www.lojkits.com/products/350z-ls-transmission-adapter

With that kit you can use an un-altered Nissan trans, and you have a smaller bellhousing to deal with. I'll have to chop the front end of my trans and probably BFH at the firewall a bit to fit the larger T56 bellhousing.

I'm having slight buyers remorse on the trans kit after seeing this one:
https://www.lojkits.com/products/350z-ls-transmission-adapter

With that kit you can use an un-altered Nissan trans, and you have a smaller bellhousing to deal with. I'll have to chop the front end of my trans and probably BFH at the firewall a bit to fit the larger T56 bellhousing.
I wouldn't sweat it too much - at some point between the 350z and the 370z, they changed bellhousing patterns, and the G35/37 sits in a weird spot between those two, so unless you *really* know your Nissans (the extent of my knowledge is from giving a friend who owns an early 350z with a busted trans a hard time), the hack-off-the-bellhousing style kit is universal between the two.

Edit 1: The BFHing isn't *too* bad with a BFing BFH, and there's less required for the LS bell than the 621/BBC.
Edit 2: The "HR" variant of the VQ35 is when the bellhousing changed, and the LOJ kit is for the pre-HR transmissions... which are more likely to be pre-CD009. Wat?!

Good to hear. Mine def is an HR trans - a JK40C. They're all good, no chance of a bad one with that style. And I get the impression that demand has spiked up on the CD009 boxes but that hasn't *quite* hit the G37/370Z boxes quite yet? I know I got mine for a few hundred less than most 'known' CD009 boxes go, about what you'd pay for an unidentifiable (through pics) early CD box.

The hope for the V8 swap is to have more fun and do less wrenching. The MTBF (mean time between failures) on the 16V Volvo motor was just not quite what I wanted it to be. Generally under 5000 miles, something (often the HG) would let go. This last time when I replaced the HG I very carefully checked the block and head, everything is as flat as can be, the Cometic just failed for some reason. Using ARP headstuds as well. This time I installed the Cometic bone dry and torqued it a little higher than spec, we'll see if that holds together.

Ordered a bunch of parts.
- LS7 lifters and trays
- PAC 1218 valve sprangs and retainers
- LS9 cam (so cheap, lol)
- LS4 oil pump
- Holley 302-1 pan and related dipstick/tube
- LS6 headgaskets
- Alper headstuds
- gaskets

Enough to get the motor back together. Next up - deciding on an intake and accessory/waterpump. Not worried about A/C (turbo is going to sit on the passenger side, if there's room, maybe I'll revisit the A/C thing in the future), but I do want PS still. Possibly the Camaro high PS, low alt setup.

Still not sure about the intake either - I have the truck intake that came with the engine, I understand that it will fit under the hood (?), but I'm still pondering an LS6 intake, or possibly something aftermarket. When you're tossing some boost at it a better flowing intake probably isn't really a 'need', but it's sort of a 'want'.

Good luck trying to get the AC in the factory location we found out the hard way. Not sure if the headers you bought will clear. The truck intake will clear the hood, and also we got rid of the truck accessories and bought retro car brackets. We also had clearance issues with the header hitting the alternator.

Good luck trying to get the AC in the factory location we found out the hard way. Not sure if the headers you bought will clear. The truck intake will clear the hood, and also we got rid of the truck accessories and bought retro car brackets. We also had clearance issues with the header hitting the alternator.

How much space did you gain going from truck to car between accessories and e-fan?

I'm going to worry about A/C long after everything else, and possibly not even then. I'd have to see if there's some place the compressor still fits on and isn't blocked by the turbo and downpipe on the passenger side.

I got a fairly cheap LS6 intake (from Dubai???) - to hopefully make enough room to still use my strut brace.

Heh, I don't have that sort of skill. I've welded up downpipes in the past, but doing that sort of work up there is beyond me.

It's an Ebay manifold kit. Trying to leverage off the popularity of the turbo LS swap marketplace. This is a kit that fits a 240SX. After pondering various more popular targets for turbo LS swaps, I figured that one would have a high likely hood of fitting into a 240 Volvo as is. Worst case, I might need to tweak the crossover pipe or downpipe some. I can do that.

How much space did you gain going from truck to car between accessories and e-fan?

You gain 3/4" if you move from the truck to F-body pulley spacing; you gain 1-9/16" if you move from truck to Corvette spacing. Of course, with turbo/crossover piping/etc -- where the accessories end up actually sitting relative to the exhaust bits is probably the bigger issue. Not sure how this kit routes things, but there could be situations where having the accessories further away from the engine (truck mount) makes things better. I don't think John will know until he starts mocking up.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm wide open on the accessories. My engine came with a chipped/not useable truck crnk pulley and a truck waterpump with a slight wobble. No PS or alternator. And a notchy feeling tensioner. About the only thing in good shape is the truck bracket, and I really don't think I want the alt sitting up that high.

The manifolds I got were built to work with 96-02 Camaro alt/PS, I'll probably end up using that. Although if the Corvette stuff would fit I'd probably use it, might as well tuck things in if I can. I don't think there's any real difference in part prices.

There was a guy in town trying to sell a complete LS1 Camaro accessory set for $300, but the bastid flaked out after a couple of texts.

I... don't think Corvette accessories are going to work, lol:
CXR-MF-DP-KIT-LS-S13-CAR-7.jpg

(not my pic, but the same kit using Camaro accessories - not really any room to move that alternator back)

Camaro stuff it is!

And... some different plug wires.

Last edited:
Back