• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230fk + Borg Warner K28

Maligantblue

So... as the title suggests I have a B230fk and a Borg Warner K28 turbo.....

(the k28 for those not in the know, is a turbo used regularly on rather large diesel engines anywhere from 6 to 12L)

my question to you turbo wizards out there is:
Would such a massive turbo spool up? is there a way to calculate the spool and or efficiency of said combo?

Easiest way to roughly estimate how it spools and what kind of power can be expected is knowing a couple of things. Compressor intake side size, turbine(exhaust) housing size, turbine extruder(outlet) size, what type of exhaust manifold and is the engine stock or modified.

BW and KKK are basically the same. I think KKK as a name has been dropped(?) and models live on.

K28 is a similar size as the stock turbo on a 3.0L 911turbo and a 3.2L/3.5L e23 BMW 745i, both are 6 cilinder cars.
I doubt that K28 will spool up fast on a small 2.3L 4cil. Not before 3000-3500rpm anyway.

But you could do this: spray the engine with nitrous so that big ass turbo will spool up quickly.

K28 is a similar size as the stock turbo on a 3.0L 911turbo and a 3.2L/3.5L e23 BMW 745i, both are 6 cilinder cars.
I doubt that K28 will spool up fast on a small 2.3L 4cil. Not before 3000-3500rpm anyway.

But you could do this: spray the engine with nitrous so that big ass turbo will spool up quickly.

K24 is the stock 911(930) turbo size and a K27 is the common upgrade, typically on a 3.2 or 3.3 liter six cylinder with lots of lag.

nitrous is kinda of the menu for me, planning a rebuild though, whats the best things to upgrade to get the thing spun up around 3k? i was thinking very aggressive cams plus many other goodies.

Easiest way to roughly estimate how it spools and what kind of power can be expected is knowing a couple of things. Compressor intake side size, turbine(exhaust) housing size, turbine extruder(outlet) size, what type of exhaust manifold and is the engine stock or modified.

BW and KKK are basically the same. I think KKK as a name has been dropped(?) and models live on.

these are the turbo specs as far as i can tell:
K28
Compressor
Inducer: 54,5mm
Exducer: 82mm

Turbine
Inducer: 81mm
Exducer: 71,5mm

Knowing this where can i go from here and how efficient/ laggy will this be, assuming i have a custom equal length exhaust manifold, and a 3" down pipe.

Back