• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 242, Now What Do I Do?

Working on the b21ft today; one of the timing cover screws broke off and had to use "the heat" to pursuade it! Fresh seals and gaskets are next...

Love that acetylene torch! Nice having another engine to compare and (borrow) from.

Worked on the oil pan today/ added new seals to the pickup tube
Straightened the sealing flange

Cleaned up the bolts

New magnetic drain plug

Purdy! Put front cover and new seals on crank and intermediate shafts

Set the head on the block

Went to put the water pump on and WRONG GASKET! Oh well stop number 604...

Went to Maryland to pick up these sweet seats from Ellis (ellist). Got both heated buckets with matching headrest pads and am still hunting for the rear seat!

On the way, stopped by Chris's (15A) and got to see this amazing 945! It is better than new!

The Volvo community is truly remarkable in terms of talent and helpfulness!

Last edited:
Well I got distracted with this

It was free so I figured I needed it..

Needs a lot of love but it won't get crushed! Got it off TB courtesy of Smakela.

Then I got this

A 2005 s40 t5m that had a rod knock. So...I bought a duplicate car that was rear ended and dropped the whole chassis and swapped good for bad! Of course I grabbed the m66c, shifter and cables for my future saffron swap... so many projects and so little time! The s40 should be running soon and then back full speed on the 242!

Well...thanks! Seven kids, four who are driving, puts a lot of opportunity in front of me, ha ha! (And a great excuse to play in my favorite hobby!)

Last edited:
Ok I'm baaack!
Enough of those other Volvos (at least for a while!). Got back on the 242 and added a new windshield

and lowering springs

Replaced the strut tops with some excellent used oem ones (thanks Alejandro aka Slicknerd)

Began adding sound deadener to the floors and picked up another spare that is really

And painted the rear IPD sway bar.

I like it so I think I'll paint the front bar to match.

Also got the rear seat I've been looking for and cleaned and detailed and conditioned both upper and lower

The interior is going to be nice I think...
Lots more to come!

Last edited:
Started with the opportunity to get a pair of 242 seats

The leather 244 seats wouldn't do this

So I thought, "this shouldn't be too bad..."

After looking things over, decided to move the seat cushions and covers to the 242 frames
Seat bottom went great; transferred the seat heaters, too

Then the work started. Found the seat backs were different sizes (244 seats from 89 Are taller than the 79 242 seats.

244 on left, 242 on right

242 frame on left, 244 on right

All I wanted was this to work!

So I decided to swap seatbacks and transfer the tilt button...
Three bolts per side

And decided to just transfer the mounting too.

Gotta make clearance on the 244 seat back to accept the 242 button plate

And be sure it lines up

Welded on

Ground down the welds and applied some black paint; I know it's not visible, but I want it done right!

Added some extra cushion to the bolsters

And 4 hrs later

Pass seat is done!

Pretty pleased that they tilt and look good too! Took the time to clean up the frame and lube the slides. And Muschi the cat likes 'em too! They should be good for a long time...

Last edited:
I considered doing that but the foam is a lot thicker on the later seat and the extra thickness of adding the plate helps make the mounting fit a bit better. Do you shim yours some how?

Got the driver seat completed. This one took more work as the seat had a bolster tear and the bottom suspension was broken. After repairing those, cleaning and lubing all the track and seat adjusters, adding the tilt mechanism and cleaning and detailing the leather it came out pretty decent.

Pulled out some speakers I'm going to use in the rear deck

These are oem out of a 2005 s40, keeping with the stock plus theme!

So I decided that I didn't want to cut or drill the rear deck. However, I wanted improved oem sound so I had to fabricate an adapter panel. So, I bought a sheet of 3/8" birch cabinet plywood and made adapters.

Had to make some custom spacers

Which gave me this

Times 2

Refinished the oem grills

Added new sound deadener to the deck and cleaned the carpet and

This is slow going but now is the time while I have the interior out. I've ordered some 1/16" neoprene sheeting for the vertical areas that I'll put in place and am completing the floor sound deadening today. Next will be the chipped ecu and ezk installation and the lh2.4 harness...

this is turning out fantastic, seems like you've got a lot of work going on all at once, I wish I had the space to get some work done on my 242, but this is proving to be really inspirational.

Ill have to pick your brain when it comes time to paint, my attempt to paint my 92 244 didn't turn out so great (didn't follow instructions lol)

I'd be glad to help in any way I can. The best part about painting is that you can always fix it! We amateurs take longer and make more errors, but there's a great feeling when you pull off the tape! Your cars are very impressive!

Back