• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gasket Match

D

duce40

Has any one on here gasket match'd their head before?? Since i cant sell my car, imma keep it and make it... dope n stuff. Pretty much trying to figure out my plan of attack. Don't wanna turbo it, just wanna get a nasty mid range and some top end to it. I wanna cam it and im kinda leaning towards the vx cam from ipd.. cause i cant find/know where to start looking for some of the other cams(and by nasty i mean, over the 100hp mark at the rear wheels:lol:) cause ya know there turds in a way. But i do love the look when i pass people in 4th. The "is it gonna make it/did i just get passed by a volvo:wtf:)

If you are going for serious NA power , gasket matching is just a detail.
A VX3 cam wont make a really big difference either.
You will need a more freeflowing exhaust , and a hotter cam , porting work and off course thats after you have sorted out what may be under a certain standard , ignition , condition of the rest of the engine/car all over.

There was a B230FX , with 531 head ( slightly bigger intake ports , different angle of plugs and a small diff in combustion chamber) with a VX3 , which is a boring , emissions friendly late " performance" cam from Volvo. It was rated at 136 engine hp.

With carefull building , a 16 valve head , tuned for na use could give you around 200 hp at the crank , also a lot of work

Serious na power will cost a lot more than converting it to a turbo

Theyre pretty well matched from the factory, atleast compared to other makes. Port the bowls if anything.

Has any one on here gasket match'd their head before?? Since i cant sell my car, imma keep it and make it... dope n stuff. Pretty much trying to figure out my plan of attack. Don't wanna turbo it, just wanna get a nasty mid range and some top end to it. I wanna cam it and im kinda leaning towards the vx cam from ipd.. cause i cant find/know where to start looking for some of the other cams(and by nasty i mean, over the 100hp mark at the rear wheels:lol:) cause ya know there turds in a way. But i do love the look when i pass people in 4th. The "is it gonna make it/did i just get passed by a volvo:wtf:)

You don't need VX from IPD, I never liked it, get a V or D or K or H:nod: and open up the exhaust....mill the head a little to gain compression etc...

where would i find a v,d,k,or h cam? And what do you mean by "bowls"?

Last edited:
Word.. So whats in there for stock? Is it the "m" cam?? Is the b230e and b21e a pretty common motor here in the states?

Could i use the t cam? I wanna say i saw a thread on here at some point with people talking about it. Would i see a difference with the vx cam, since its got the m cam? Or is that a silly question. haha

You don't need VX from IPD, I never liked it, get a V or D or K or H:nod: and open up the exhaust....mill the head a little to gain compression etc...

+1 H or K being the "hotter" cams of the bunch
Also shaved the head a little & raise CR to 10.5 or there aboutsas opposed to current 9.8 n/a spec.

A 2.5" mandrel bend custom exhaust system (see my build thread for MagnaFlow muffler p/ns , specs & pics etc) and a header pipe modded to have a 2.5" collector and use a 2.5" in/out cat

There are a couple of threads mention the engine mods in more detail IIRC.

I'm planning on a V cam swap for mine.

My boss is gonna make a header for it. Still debating on what size that should be. What i want to do is a full 2.1/4 or 2.25 exhaust from the manifold back. Probably going to use the ipd cat back and just throw on a different muffler if i do 2.1/4. I might gasket match the intake manifold or use the 2.1 manifold (is that the one you can use, or does it not matter??)

Unless you're porting out the entire intake and exhaust, gasket matching can actually hurt, rather than help.

Think about it- intake runner...open up to gasket...squeeze back down to intake throat. You may smooth the flow out a bit, but mainly what you'll do is slow the flow down, then try and squeeze it back through the head. Same with the exhaust, you want to maintain velocity, not slow it down.

Back