• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

DET17's "Project cheap thrills" - '92 944T

Well, carved out some Ovlov time on Saturday, more jobs need completion (that a 1.5 arm man can accomplish). I decided to attack the hydro. engine mount conversion to the "old school" 84-85 setup. Here is a comparison of the two, drivers side :

DSCN8032.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Quite the difference. The drivers side (steering shaft side) mount is hammered good in tension when the torque is applied to the rear end. Not broken, but you could certainly twist it around quite a bit easier than the new mounts. Speaking of the new (old type):

DSCN8033.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN8035.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN8036.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Odd looking, aren't they? Everything assembled, cleaned off the 30+ years of crud on the aluminum castings, and ready to install. Driver side (steering shaft) changed out with careful use of a floor jack. Installed pics:

DSCN8040.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN8042.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pass. (exhaust) side next, shouldn't be any more difficult. NOTE - the hydro mounts have a heat shield on the exhaust side..... these old school mounts don't. THANKS to DEK2688, who spec'd out all the OEM hardware to make this conversion (cost me $40 from TASCA). Thanks Rich!

Fabbed little heat shields for the LS mounts out of aluminum gutter flashing.... Remember using floor jack and small pieces of wood to change out my daughter's 760 mounts all those years ago.

Fabbed little heat shields for the LS mounts out of aluminum gutter flashing.... Remember using floor jack and small pieces of wood to change out my daughter's 760 mounts all those years ago.

Perhaps I can recycle the shield on the exh. side of my HYDRO mount. We'll see once I get it out. Your daughter still driving that 760 I bet! ;-)

Well since this IS the last hurrah for the 940, I surrendered to temptation and bought this NIW modified B21F intake:

DSCN8037.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Empirically determined "butt dyno" data says this induction system is worth approximately 10~15 ponies. I've PM'd folks who have vehicles that actually run this intake, and they all report a nice kick in the butt improvement with just this induction change. The plenum area is at least twice as large as the miserable B230FT EFI intakes we got in North America. Runners are all equal length, and perhaps this resolves the rumoured lean issues with #3 runner in the original. Hell, solving that problem alone could account for 15 HP! ;-)

As Nathan is effectively out of our game, I picked this guy up from snailpoweredbrick; already converted with EFI ports in the runners and with his custom -6 fuel rail. All I need to do is sort out a remote FPR with the same specs as the Bosch 3 bar. And a couple other details..... like a Europe only throttle cable (B23E and B230E 7 series). DEK2688 is hooking me up with the throttle spool system as well as the cruise mount & cable. How hard could it be? :rofl:

These pics show Nathan's fine mods for EFI:

DSCN8044.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN8045.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That looks like it's going to be a nice piece. Is the reg stand alone or vacuum/rising rate?

Daughter long ago grew weary of the fuel mileage of the 760 in near downtown ATL where she's been for 21 years. I "sold" her my '15 Fit and she sold her '09 Fit to my sister/brother-in-law. Did the car swapping in Augusta yesterday. Picked up a new Mazda3 for me....sport model with no options (hard to find). Enjoying.

Also interested to see if the strut brace will play nice with that intake.

Definitely a no go with the naked eyeball...... If I'm going to run one, it will have to be another style.... or I just won't run one. Would rather have the torque increase all the time, than an occasional twisty run improvement. You can count on me to display a picture showing it doesn't fit.......

That's what I was wondering about -- most boosted stuff in that time period worked that way - allowed fuel pressure to rise as boost pressure did.

Had some shop time Saturday, and decided to complete the motor mount conversion to the old school 84-85 7 series setup. With the driver side done, the pass. side had an extra challenge. While the pass. hydro. mount has a nice heat/oil shield to protect that mount rubber, the old schools didn't come with any. The simplest solution - repurpose the hydro. mount shield. I laid out the expected relief needed to allow the engine half of the mount to project through the hydro shield:

DSCN8059.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Some careful drilling at each sharpie line corner & steady handed dremel surgery, yields success:

DSCN8065.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN8066.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My OCD won't let me install clean parts into a dirty engine bay/crossmember, so I cleaned up the area first. NOTE the floor jack beneath the engine.... a small 2x4 under the PS pump mount is carrying the pass. side load.

DSCN8068.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The old school mount (stronger than the later "Executive Class" hydro mount) is in place:

DSCN8069.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Special thanks to DEK2688, who provided the OE part#s for all the locknuts and flanged hex head fasteners..... TASCA has everything in stock.

B21 EFI intake fit checking......

I'm in the investigation stage of the intake "scope creep" of this final round. I decided to fit up some injectors into the Nathan -6 fuel rail, because I wanted to see if the LH2.4 injection connectors would reach the higher location of the B21F intake. Here is the business end of the NIW modified intake, injectors clearly visible:

DSCN8076.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A close up of the single runner:

DSCN8083.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So fit checking the intake on the head:

DSCN8086.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN8088.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The LH2.4 batch fire connectors reach.... barely. I had to remove a harness clamp down on the lower side of the block, which allowed the entire top harness to move up nearly an inch. As you can see, I had to flip the #1 and #4 connectors to the opposite side of the rail. With EFI connectors confirmed, the other question was would my Cherry Turbo upper strut brace fit? I was doubting it, and the answer is ... NO

DSCN8091.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

First problem, the CT brace end constructions won't clear the Kaplhenke top strut mounts.

Second problem, while the strut brace could clear the B21F intake (if the end connectors allowed) but it would be so close to the intake that when the engine rotated under torque it would likely hit. This pic is misleading, as the brace is touching the strut tower on the PASS. side but propped up on the DRIVER. IF it cleared bolted in place, it would be by scant little.

DSCN8092.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks like I'll have the Cherry brace on the sale block soon. I wondered if the SAM strut brace might clear this intake, since the Euro market got the B230E 7 series cars. I'll check into it, but if I have to choose between the strut brace OR the intake, it will be the B21 EFI intake.

can you flip it 280 degrees?

From what I've researched about the CT brace, the "bend" shown above my intake plenum was factory made.... to provide some clearance for the B230F intake movement. Flipping 180* would bring the brace closer to the B21 EFI intake (but might help the Kaplhenke mount interference).

Back