• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2.5" vs 3" hoodpipe for b230ft

maxitoman007

Just wondering if there will be a noticeable difference with the pipe being so short (coming out hood). Wondering if its even worth going to 3". I'd have to use a 2.5" to 3" stainless adapter (turbo outlet is 2.5" 4 bolt) and buy a 3" 90 degree bend, but I already have some 2.5" mandrel bends laying around...

Quad 1" pipes is where it's at. You can tune the pipe lengths for a wicked sound!!!

But seriously, that'd be cool. Just a hoodpipe and you're just another kid on the block.

And 2.5" would be more than sufficient, not like you're going to worry about parasitic gas-speed-inertia-cooldown loss over the length of 24" with a turbine housing that has a 2.5" outlet.

haha looking to save money here lol but maybe ill go for quad pipes in the future. I'm glad to hear that 2.5" will be fine, thank you. Anyone know how loud it actually is? Law is 96 db here. Also how do you cover it so nothing falls in if it rains/snows?

haha looking to save money here lol but maybe ill go for quad pipes in the future. I'm glad to hear that 2.5" will be fine, thank you. Anyone know how loud it actually is? Law is 96 db here. Also how do you cover it so nothing falls in if it rains/snows?

With one of those 'mack truck spring flaps!' That would be awesome! :cool:
th

and check these out, Love that futuristic 'Transformers' look! The bigger the better, go with 3" if you can. Hell, go with 4"! lol.

2013-09-28-12.14.jpg

Reminds me kind of like an 'F35 fighter jet's exhaust!'

Last edited:

It will be over 96dbz.

1. I ran the wastegate on my Evo external dump (though... not out the hood because I think it's ridiculous ESPECIALLY if you're trying to save money) this is mine actually lol
Toxic_Dump.jpg

It sounded GREAT until WOT. It sounded like a McLaren Mercedes as the WG was flapping about... after that, it sounded like tractor. It was also WAY too loud. And that's with a turbo in the way.

2. I ran the Volvo with both "some" exhaust and "no" exhaust. While I generally like the tractor motor sound it makes, and with the "some" exhaust once you got onto the revs you could definitely hear the neat grpA sounds (regardless of how different the motor is) it was LOUD. Like... you won't be able to have a conversation loud. This was with no turbo.

3. I ran turbo and downpipe (15g) and it was quiet enough, but it sounded like a semi truck. Too whistley. I added a HF cat and a muffler (straight through) and exited out the side and it sounds quite good now... but it's definitely too quiet. I'll probably experiment with some other choices.

Toxicfab also makes that O2 housing in a hood dump. Cutting a hole in your hood to save money is like fighting for peace or screwing for virginity. You can run it down and have the same exact thing. But my real point is... it will be loud. Unless I'm missing something silly.

You also need a plan for water.

Law here is also that you aren't allowed to modify your exhaust. Seriously. Look at all the stacked trucks that get pulled over all the time. A guy next door at the VW dealer had an old diesel jetta with a hood pipe. Within a week he was pulled over for it and had to go through an inspection. Dumps under the car now (after inspection).

Seriously though, up here in Edmonton/Sherwood park/Beaumont, they pull you over for anything modified looking that they think they can ticket you for (tint, exhaust, wheels stick out further than fender).

If you run a pipe out of your hood on a Volvo you're probably going to jail.

To give you an idea of what the hood dumps looked like on the Evo (which btw has a number of holes ALREADY in the hood) they were all extremely tucked and "conservative"

maxresdefault.jpg

Well guys, I appreciate all the replies. I still think I'm going to do the hood pipe but I forgot to mention that I'm going to do it "drifts and lifts" style ( https://youtu.be/vaqWxwWXqYU ). He lives in BC and never gets pulled over with his hood pipe... Also I talked to an inspection guy and he said he'd inspect it. I asked him if he thought I should pay to do the whole exhaust or if a hoodpipe would suffice and he said go with the hoodpipe. If the sound is that loud is there any way you could sneak a small muffler under there ...?

If by "under there" you mean "under the car" then yes.

Seriously. The amount of people on the Evo boards that bought open dumps, and then asked if they could bolt a muffler to it is mind blowing.

Why don't you just aim it down?

if any car has a stupid pipe coming out of the hood, or front fender, it better make 500+ hp

This. Or at least able to run low 12's. Edit... at least be in a category that REQUIRES you to have a helmet on at the track.

Also... what's the heat wrap for in that video? I'm trying not to flame... I don't really like drifts and lifts though.

Honestly idk what it's for. Of course I want it out the hood for the flames haha. Going for a zero f**ks given turbo 740 lol. And I meant like a mini muffler under the hood for the hoodpipe... I'm assuming no?

No. Also... you can't do a hood pipe and list a reason why you want it and then cite the ZFG plan.

FWIW... a stock NA Volvo will spit fire with the cat back removed (and cat).

I'm totally into the whole thing... it's just kind of silly for a car with less than 200hp.

Sorry, forgot to mention I am building up the engine with an eventual goal of 300hp. I posted a list of mods in another thread, so I'll try to find it. I guess it's not completely ZFG but like it's just meant to be a fun car, bought it for $500 CAD to learn about cars. Also I don't know what FWIW means sorry. I also just had the idea of running one of those electric butterfly valves between a hoodpipe and a downpipe with a muffler for residential driving or if I see a cop lol.

Edit: found the list:

- 60 A/R intake, 63 A/R exhaust T3/T4 turbo (externally wategated using adapter plate)
- Ebay stainless header (with flange flipped and supported)
- 13mm rods from 90+ b230ft
- new piston rings
- new rod bearings
- replacing all gaskets/seals in the head.
- re lapping valves
- porting head ???
- 2.5" hoodpipe
- new spark plug wires
- electronic boost controller
- wideband gauge
- boost gauge
- upgraded injectors (low impedance brown-top equivalent)(setup using the guide forum)
- removal of stock air box for cone filter.
- possible ebay intercooler if I can find another $200 CAD

I think that's it but I'm probably missing something lol. Ill jut edit as I remember things.

Last edited:
Back