• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Duder's Beige Brick - ARUNDL - 1981 242 DL +B230FT

I haven't seen them first hand, but a good paintless dent removal guy could remove and/or lighten most dings.

That's what I'm thinking too. I've tried a few local PDR guys with varying results. I think on a big flat panel like a 240 trunk lid, they have a reasonable chance of removing these dings, since the panel isn't super stiff like a BMW E34 belt line (for example).

There are about 15-20 upward dings in the trunk lid, from someone trying to slam it on an oversized pointy object in the trunk. Another set of weird creases above the left buttcheek, probably from something getting jammed between the sheetmetal and spare tire. And again in the hood directly above the battery tray, upward crease from hood falling on something on top of the battery. The previous owners of this thing were free spirits.

I didn't see this mentioned, what did you do to the airbox to make it fit?

I didn't mention it because it doesn't fit yet...

The 940 Turbo airbox lid is in there now, along with the filter, which is zip tied to the lid. The lower part of the box needs heavy surgery to fit an unmodified 240 inner fender. There wont be much of it left. Coming soon!

I'm thinking about making a new lower half in the future with a front-facing scoop to get some ram air effect from the airflow around and under the headlights.

So clean!

Love it!

Awesome; I appreciate the compliments. Your blue 242 is pretty effin sweet. I'd love to check that thing out at some point.

The 940 Turbo airbox lid is in there now, along with the filter, which is zip tied to the lid. The lower part of the box needs heavy surgery to fit an unmodified 240 inner fender. There wont be much of it left. Coming soon!

I'm thinking about making a new lower half in the future with a front-facing scoop to get some ram air effect from the airflow around and under the headlights.

Ha! I know that feeling. My car will require a box (smog stuff) and while I have a good to go cobra Kjet setup, if I can find a more permanent way to use the 940 box I also have, I prefer that. I think they look better than Cobra.

Is that original cloth on those seats? They look great.

They are. I originally got them from a ex-employee of Recaro in Auburn Hills, MI. This is where they did all of the prototype seats and a good amount of the production.

They had basically been made for a 300zx or Corvette, I can't remember now. They were never sat in. The foam backing was falling apart (just like your cars headliner) so I replaced that and spiffed them up when Duder bought them. They are so comfortable. The bolster and bottom are larger than the LS-B Recaro.

They are. I originally got them from a ex-employee of Recaro in Auburn Hills, MI. This is where they did all of the prototype seats and a good amount of the production.

They had basically been made for a 300zx or Corvette, I can't remember now. They were never sat in. The foam backing was falling apart (just like your cars headliner) so I replaced that and spiffed them up when Duder bought them. They are so comfortable. The bolster and bottom are larger than the LS-B Recaro.

That's so awesome.

Awesome; I appreciate the compliments. Your blue 242 is pretty effin sweet. I'd love to check that thing out at some point.

Thanks! Yes we should meet up. Once I get mine on the road again.

Fer sure. We should organize some kind of So-Cal RWD meet. There used to be an all-Swedish show at the Ruby's Diner at the Redondo Beach pier, but I think that's defunct.

Alright lets get something on the calendar. I have heard from the SLOrolling people about a possible visit to Jay Leno's garage later this summer but if that falls through...

Fer sure. We should organize some kind of So-Cal RWD meet. There used to be an all-Swedish show at the Ruby's Diner at the Redondo Beach pier, but I think that's defunct.

I went to that a few times. It was fun.

My engine finally took a dump Saturday. It's not drivable anymore. :roll:

Waiting on new engine now.

Boring maintenance update: the valve cover gasket developed a gnarly leak on this thing, strange because I used a brand new green OE Volvo gasket. It was dumping oil out of the front passenger side corner, so it soaked the exhaust manifold and alternator. Nice big pool in the splash pan too. Green gasket was completely split at both the front and rear corners on the passenger side.

I replaced it with a Fel-Pro and used Permatex Super Black this time at the cam humps instead of Super Grey. Paid more attention to careful torque sequence on the valve cover nuts and tried not to over-torque them. It's holding up well so far. Still putting miles on the car as a semi-daily, 3 to 4 days per week.

Occasionally, I'll get gaskets from Volvo that are dry, brittle and shrunk. Soaking them in warm water makes them supple again and makes them swell a little. Pat them dry on a paper towel before using them so any sealer used will adhere.

I don't like the grey rtv even though it's recommended for import applications. It dries to a hard consistency, unlike the black which stays flexible.

Hey Ian - sounds like this could've been another instance of the same problem then. I don't recall the green gasket being brittle when I installed it but upon removal it was seriously hard and shrunken. Thanks for the tips!

I tried every valve cover gasket under the sun on Badger. Finally went with a Victor Reinz and a very light smear of black Permatex "Right Stuff".

Back