• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1971 145 Express Competition Service Rally Car Restoration Project

Paint gun or spray can ?

I had some spray cans made up by a body shop up in Canada when I had the rusted-out tailgate replaced on my 245. It was mixed as 130 silver metallic and came out a very close match. I had it lying around and figured it would work well in these concealed areas where finishing coats aren't needed.

I won't be doing much beyond priming anywhere else btw. The final paint job will be left to the professionals.

Cool! Maybe, once you've got it done, and have visitied Carlisle with it, you can do a cross-country trip and bring it to iPd...

-J

Whats up with the Express? It will be too hot to work on it soon...

It has not been touched since we moved. Time is a precious commodity that I have little of at the moment. The new house, kids, work .... everything is taking priority and papa's projects have to take a back seat. The second half of the summer will be better though, and it's cool in the basement garage, so no worries about the heat.

I've just finished reading this excellent thread and just love the car. So cool that you've decided to rebuild it, I wish some day I'll be able to find so unique car and do the same. Any progress since your last post?

^ Thanks for your support. No work on the car has been done since the move. The good news, however, is that the garage/workshop is almost finished. Before I could start working on the Express I needed to set up/organize the workspace. Which is now almost complete. Then I can unload the Express of all the parts stored inside, organize and store them, and then begin the tear down phase. The plan then is to remove everything down to the shell and begin the cutting, grinding, wire-brushing, chelating, electrolysising, welding, hammering, smithing, sanding and general restoring of all body/mechanical components. Then, or if finances allow, meanwhile, the engine building will commence. I'll post up some photos of the garage/workshop once it's all set up.

You may want to look up videos on removing rust with muriatic acid, citric acid or molasses. Might be better than grinding and blasting as the stuff gets into all the nooks and crannies. :)

You may want to look up videos on removing rust with muriatic acid, citric acid or molasses. Might be better than grinding and blasting as the stuff gets into all the nooks and crannies. :)

I'm going to try electrolysis on things like suspension parts, etc. Might try evaporust type chelating agent baths on things like the axle, diff., drive shaft, etc. And a similar chelating agent paste on big surface areas like the roof, etc. I've thought of molasses for the fenders and other larger panels/doors, etc. Some areas will just have to be cut out and new metal welded back in I'm afraid.

Update

I was finally just able to track down the former owner to have the correct DMV forms signed in order to register the Express. So almost 2 years later I will now have the ownership papers that will let the car be put on the road/transferred/etc.

NY was a non-title state prior to 1973, and you would transfer the registration upon a private sale. In my case, the seller couldn't find the old transferable registration, so I had to have a couple special forms signed by the prior owner and submit an etching of the VIN. Now I just wait for the new transferable registration to come in the mail 6-8 weeks from now.

Not having the ownership documents was another reason I was hesitant to pour too much more $$$ into the car. Now I'll feel better about that ...

It's official, just received the transferable registration (NY version of title on pre-'73 cars) with my name on it in the mail today! :cool:

I have a couple other small projects on hand and then I hope to get moving on the Express this summer.

I was supposed to come in this thread and see it blown up with responses about how everyone was excited to see this thing at Carlisle this weekend?????????????????????????

"Not having the ownership documents was another reason I was hesitant to pour too much more $$$ into the car. Now I'll feel better about that ..."

I know how you feel . When I bought the 79 coupe there was a problem, the owner died but the wife signed her own name on the title. NY wasn't having any of it. I needed copy of death certificate, papers stating the old lady was executor of the estate with ownership rights, blah, blah, etc. etc. Then the lady left for FL. and I couldn't reach her anymore and I had a car that I couldn't get title to. Then it was time to get creative. ;-)

"Not having the ownership documents was another reason I was hesitant to pour too much more $$$ into the car. Now I'll feel better about that ..."

I know how you feel . When I bought the 79 coupe there was a problem, the owner died but the wife signed her own name on the title. NY wasn't having any of it. I needed copy of death certificate, papers stating the old lady was executor of the estate with ownership rights, blah, blah, etc. etc. Then the lady left for FL. and I couldn't reach her anymore and I had a car that I couldn't get title to. Then it was time to get creative. ;-)

Do explain?

You practice your "hand writing skills'" ;-) and apply them to the unsigned necessary papers and call in a few favors to get some of the "stamps" swearing to tell whole truth and next thing you know you have title!

I'm going to pretend I didn't "hear" that.

In my case it was somewhat easier given that the prior owner never actually registered it. He just took possession, along with the prior transferable registration which was lost. It took me over a year, but I finally got the widow to sign the MV-51B which states that the prior transferable registration was lost. In NY you can still transfer ownership in this situation (lost transferable registration) so long as the purchaser (me) submits the signed MV-51B stating who the owner was that the seller took possession from (I actually had that info and correspondence from that gentleman - he owned it in the 1980s!!!!), a statement from the seller that they owned the car but lost the transferable registration, a bill of sale and an etching or photograph of the VIN. Then you actually have to insure the car so you can "register" it and get plates for 5 seconds. The DMV then gives you a non-transferable registration, takes back the plates and sends the paperwork to Albany. Then you wait 6-8 weeks (9 weeks in my case) for the official transferable registration to arrive in the mail with a refund for the plates that you turned in. You also remove the car from the insurance 5 seconds after you "insured" it. NY will only allow registration of "insured" vehicles.
Anyway, it was all kind of stupid, but necessary, and now I'm the legal owner! As complicated as it is, it actually seems easier with a pre-title car.

Old Iron - You saw the Express in person and you think it would be finished in less than 10 years? You don't have kids yet, right? ;)

Back