• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 744 Turbo (the Race Car)

Why no fit?

Loosen the passenger side mount, take a ratchet strap and crank the motor over a few clicks.

Compressor housing is hitting the head, problem is this head had the exhaust side milled flat and I did not realize it until this problem happened. The Joy of to many used heads. Going to cut off turbo flange and try to angle it out and weld back on. If that doesn't work I will prob torch the car to the ground and start over. Plan was to make it run today but those plans were foiled by my arch nemesis Murphy's law. With my old setup I had 1-2mm of space on the VC.

OH well, that's my fault for running a manifold that had so little clearance to begin with on this big ass turbo.

Compressor housing is hitting the head, problem is this head had the exhaust side milled flat and I did not realize it until this problem happened. The Joy of to many used heads. Going to cut off turbo flange and try to angle it out and weld back on. If that doesn't work I will prob torch the car to the ground and start over. Plan was to make it run today but those plans were foiled by my arch nemesis Murphy's law. With my old setup I had 1-2mm of space on the VC.

OH well, that's my fault for running a manifold that had so little clearance to begin with on this big ass turbo.

You're really not lucky...:-(

Anyway, I'm still excited to hear this beast again!

Yea I will get it all figured out just frustrating at times.

Good news is I am going to make a Mild steel version of my header and put up for sale to help fund my addiction, other parts will follow as I get stuff fixed.

I will try to get some pics and maybe a video up but the car runs again. I had Jao weld on another t3 flange to the existing one after I sanded it to the needed angle so now the turbo fit. Drove the call all week with no real issues.

I still need to do the next few little mods and tweaks to make it stand out by using the s70 third brake light along with adding a 'dome' light back in. From there instill need to bend new trans cooler lines and ditch the rubber ones I have.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8DzTPKZvNOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D08dd9AL2Wk?list=UUE11gNvLJXAnzzo3TF09ZWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zZMUwP1qQfQ?list=UUE11gNvLJXAnzzo3TF09ZWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now once I get my Right rear wheel back I can drive it more, stupid pot holes.

can jesse or anyone you know fix pretty seriously beat aluminum wheels?

18x10.5 that will need quite a bit of surgery.

My wheel is at jesses shop right now getting fixed, so the 744 sits until someone makes the tucson-phx trip next week which is fine as I have a few things I need to fix/add/update.

18x8.5(rears) right now, once I have the funds I will have my HRE wheels rebuilt into 18x8 and 18x9. Should help the 265s look more square and hold the road better for the rear. I like the borbets that are on the car now but I really want the hire wheels.

I am hoping to get to the dyno by the end of the month along with a few more videos so we shall see.

A few updates, car has been running well, waiting on the centering rings to show up to see if the little vibration goes away.

Here is the added turbo flange that Jao weld'd up for me to fix the turbo clearance.

translines_0001.JPG

Yesterday I added the new trans cooler lines that I bent, works a bit better than the full length rubber hoses I had. should last a bit longer.

translines_0002.JPG

translines_0003.JPG

And way back when I put the 200r4 in I also added these frame braces but I do not remember getting pictures of them. so here, I have another set of them to install on the 944 when I ever get around to working on it
translines_0005.JPG

translines_0004.JPG

The front support plate is on the engine, one of these days I will order a plastic TC cover, requires me to remember to look one up online.

I guess I could do it now.

It feels good to be clean

rps20130323_075945_327.jpg

rps20130323_075843_277.jpg

rps20130323_075759_970.jpg

For what its worth the dust shield for the 200r4 is on the way, as are the centering rings for the wheels to help with the vibration. Either way I can report that with 200+lb's of crap in the trunk along with a passenger the car still wants to spin spin spin under load. And these cars are apparently invisible to cops even with all of the noise.

The HREs should look pimp I just have to decide what color to have the centers powder coated. I want to say matte black like these but the stock HRE silver looks good with the polished lips so it is hard to tell what to do. Plus the HREs will have 3"+ or lip in the back so that will make it super pimp.

Back