• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(Not*) Mediocre 242

My upholstery guy got this done way quicker than I thought he would. It's done in black street suede. The fabric doesn't match my front seats that well, but it's black and cheap and looks good. He did try to match the front Recaros with the horizontal striping. The Recaros have three horizonal stripes, and he put two in the bench. He was also going to recover my door cards, but they were in too bad of shape to spend time and money on (I've also pretty well reached my limit on car parts spending for a while). So I'm looking for some decent cards to recover, or I'll make my own out of aluminum if I can't find anything for a decent price. I also need to find a decent parcel shelf to recover. I have until September before he goes back to Venezuela. He's friends with the father of one of my buddies and is visiting for a few months. I'm getting close to my pretty much full black interior.

7kvOcbwh.jpg

3OlTdhth.jpg

Wox2HX6h.jpg

dCCPXqMh.jpg

nh68k51h.jpg

I did some freeway pulls last night after a Saturday night meet. Wish I had some videos, but I hung with an R35 GTR from 50-90 or so until he started to pull on me. I took a few other cars to town, but one really quick wrx pulled on me by a half car or so. I talked with the fast wrx guy and he says he makes 460 whp on ethanol. I saw this on fb this morning:

Fu9HaI8h.png

Last edited:
Waiting for boost caused me to lose the jump on some of the roll races, so I decided to implement rolling anti lag using the cruise control switches. This is nice because it allows for an arming switch and doesn't require me to let go of the wheel. I was thinking about using the switch for nitrous eventually, but I realized nitrous doesn't really fit my goals for this car.

This video shows me testing continuity of the cruise control speed switch. Excuse the vertical video please. I used the red and yellow wires only. Attach one wire to megasquirt, and one wire to ground and that's it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qanme3l-LpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a really short video of it working. I was in second gear:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xubNPWlp9bM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And another one, where you can actually see boost build quickly (also in second gear):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t5awnz0L0B8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm really happy with how it works. The car launches way harder from a roll now.

Last edited:
It is set to 22 psi currently. No issues at all with the engine.

Had some disappointing results at the track last night. I'm car 406. Best time was 13.6, but my trap speeds are all really slow. My first run is on the left. Last run is on the right.

GGa3GFSh.jpg

Tires at 25 psi, launch at 3500 rpm.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/86TlAyiZVVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tires at 20 psi, no launch control.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tQjPJ58JFEk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tires at 20 psi, launch at 2500 rpm.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/R0bzY8CKup8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tires at 20 psi, launch at 3250 rpm.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wlgfFatL_JU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No matter what I do, my wheels spin, even with traction control enabled. It's most apparent in the third video. The car pulls both boost and timing with traction control, so it helps a little, but not that much. The new tires didn't do very much either.

I think the main cause of my low trap speeds was the lack of power up top. The car just didn't feel as fast as it has before. I think my clutch is slipping. I checked my logs; it's not pulling timing because of knock or anything else, boost is where it should be, and everything else engine-wise seems fine. It just seems slow, so I'm not sure what else it could be besides my clutch. One thing to note is that my coolant can get up to 200 deg F during a strip run, but it comes back down pretty soon after, maybe my belt is slipping or something. It was a fun night of racing, but disappointing. I was hoping to see low 13s, high 12s.

Last edited:
In my experience, sticky summer tires aren't great track tires. They need heat in them to work and that doesn't happen without a lot of turning.

You should see if your clutch is slipping in your logs if you were logging at the strip

I don't see any section where RPM increases much more quickly than VSS, which is what I would expect for a slipping clutch. But I noticed in 3rd gear during my recent runs, my RPM is significantly lower at the same VSS than in my first time at the track. In every gear except 1st of my July runs, the acceleration is on average 2 ft/s^2 less than that of my earlier runs.

In my experience, sticky summer tires aren't great track tires. They need heat in them to work and that doesn't happen without a lot of turning.

Sticky tires with stiff sidewalls = wheelspin.

I guess I found that out myself too. I like the tires; they're good for roll racing and summer daily driving, but I really need a set of drag radials or something.

Last edited:
I've just been driving my car around on my slipping clutch. The remedy to that will be its own update soon.

I spent about 6 hours cutting and buffing my car for a car show. I'd never done any paint correction before, but I'm pretty happy with the results. There are a few really thin spots on the roof and trunk, but it's not bad for 35 year old paint. After the show, my buddy wanted to take some pictures. The Flickr album is here, but I've included a few of my favorites:

ThIjhUXh.jpg

x2llk5qh.jpg

fUgIS7Mh.jpg

Looks great!

I don't know a ton about drag racing, but 13.6 at 103 doesn't seem super out of wack. Get better traction and bring those 60ft times down and you'll see a nice drop in ET. Does seem like a lot of boost for 103 though. I ran a 13.8 at 101 with a mildly breathed on skinny rod engine and a jy frankenstein t3/t4 running 14-15psi. That pretty much my only experience though.

I don't know a ton about drag racing, but 13.6 at 103 doesn't seem super out of wack. Get better traction and bring those 60ft times down and you'll see a nice drop in ET. Does seem like a lot of boost for 103 though. I ran a 13.8 at 101 with a mildly breathed on skinny rod engine and a jy frankenstein t3/t4 running 14-15psi. That pretty much my only experience though.

You're right. But I don't think 13s are very good for my setup. I realized on the drive home that I had a boost leak. On my really skinny tires I ran a14.xx at 111 mph, so the boost leak killed my trap speed. Between that and a slipping clutch, I think the car is capable of a much faster time. The track is also at almost 5000 ft of elevation which doesn't help. But I'm definitely working on it!

Last edited:
why are you switching out your T5 adapter setup? Does the deeworks bearing retainer setup not work with the Tilton?

Exactly. The Deeworks kit uses the stock bellhousing, so there's no flat surface for the tilton to mount to. The bearing retainer mounts behind the bellhousing, and the throw out bearing sleeve is pushed into the bellhousing. Also I'd have to drill a hole for the anti-rotation pin, so I figured I'd just cut a huge hole and make sure it works properly. Also, I don't know how long my T5 will last, and it would be nice to be able to bolt up a TKO if I want, so I ordered a adapter from Ben.

Back