• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C Coolant bottle not holding coolant on V70 T5

He's def got a combustion leak of some sort, the test above proved it.

Speaking of disheartening, one of the times I rebuilt my 16V motor because it suddenly blew out all the coolant I didn't see too much amiss with the HG, but then got more distracted by the forged pistons being all beat to hell, top ring broken, crowns beaten up, a chunk or two missing. New parts! Rebuilt it not *quite* from the ground up, I left the crank in place in the block, replaced the rod bearings, pistons, etc. Sort of forgot about the whole 'blew out coolant' thing, other than just assuming something with the HG.

Started it up after it being apart for 3 months, and it made the most amazing fog show. Fogged up the whole driveway. At idle, it was blowing big fat fog rings out of the tailpipe (they'd sail along a good 30 feet or so before falling apart, why didn't I get video?). What in the HELL????

Turns out I'd missed an inch and a half long split in the #4 cylinder wall, way down low in the bore (the cylinder wall thickness are varied, thicker at the top, thinning out considerably at the bottom). When I tore back into the engine I happened to leave the block full of coolant, and when I rotated the engine around I couldn't really 'see' the crack, but I sure noticed coolant weeping out of the cylinder wall.

Yeah, I got to start all over again, from scratch, with a new junkyard block.
<--- Dumbass

Before i give this next update on our situation, in response to JohnMC, Your 16 Valve issue is pretty much the exact situation were in right now but maybe aliiiitttle less catastrophic haha

Ok soooo the update

So long story short, we cut our losses.... We decided to not try to figure out exactly if the block or head was cracked and we just decided to get a whole nother new engine today instead. visually.... the engine looks perfect, clean, no oil or coolant anywhere and on top of this the car we got the engine from is wrecked waaaaaaay beyond repair so ideally the car was properly running prior to whatever in the hell happened to it.

Sooooooooo now introducing T5 engine number 3

The idea is basically that we couldn't possibly have luck as bad as that this time but meanwhile, this is this cars last chance at survival with this being its 3rd engine in its life.

And then in reply to ZVOLV, in terms of redoing the block test on the current engine, basically the only way we got the fluid to turn yellow was with it on and we let the car run good and long enough for us to have an obvious answer. So thus leading to us redoing the whole swap with another engine.

PS.... Trust me, we tried moooore than enough overflow caps LOL, would have been a miracle at this point.
also i have no clue how to use the quote feature....

Last edited:
Block test fluid can be tough to interpret sometimes.

At my shop guys have seen some head bolts pull out of the block and it shows up as cold start misfires, but for a little while in the past it got them scratching their head as to why.

Over pressure of the cooling system can easily be a block/head problem which can be tough to detect. That being said, I do know white blocks have HG and head and block issues and some mechanics prefer to swap the whole engine instead of repair. I have worked at a shop that has that policy on overheated/blown HG cars.

Back