• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(formerly) The $700 1988 245

Keep in mind that this steering issue started a few days ago. Before that it was perfectly fine. Absolutely no idea what it is.

Took the carpets out and I've been getting it super clean. It has basically no rust in the floor compared to the 86 but it does have a repaired floorboard.

pIPMh2X.jpg

Vs this in the 86:

rw8_UFlz.jpg

Also I found more dryer sheets under the carpet.

Ripped into the center dash today. Lots of weird ****ty wiring that confuses me. 740 turbo ECU, wonder if my 780 Bertone ECU is better? The thing I'm mostly concerned about is that it seems to be stuck on recirc. It looks like the recirc button is missing at least one vacuum hose which is nowhere to be seen. Anyone know where it connects? Has a vac leak somewhere since pushing the buttons does nothing with the car off.

There are two J looking longish but very skinny pipes on each side of the center console that those three vacuum operated buttons plug into. If one of the two J's doesn't have a vac line on it you won't have any button functionality.

There are two J looking longish but very skinny pipes on each side of the center console that those three vacuum operated buttons plug into. If one of the two J's doesn't have a vac line on it you won't have any button functionality.

Foot and defrost buttons work fine. I think recirc is stuck on. Where is the recirculate valve or whatever?

Anyone got a diagram? I'm having a pretty hard time with the recirculate problem.. The only thing I've done in the last few days is some rust treatment.

Progress has been very slow. Today I got the front carpet back in and swapped the broken B pillar plastics for the near pristine ones from the 86. Also tried to start it since it's been awhile, no go. Can hear the fuel pump but it won't fire. I'll have to look into that later. Main issue right now is the coil that came off its seat, I'll rent some comrpessors and swap the springs with the 86 and sell that to someone who thinks low=cool.

It was a bad fuel pump relay. Runs again, hopefully I'll get the spring issue and the interior back together by the end of the long weekend. Is it normal for the car to spin the wheels in the air when in neutral?

How can you be sure it's in neutral with that shifter? haha

Vibrations from the engine would be my guess.

Heh. Definitely not vibrations. I can stop the tire with my foot, but it takes some effort.

Just now I got the rear section of the carpet back in and some of the interior trim. Stole some more interior bits from the 86. It's all coming back together now.

Got the interior back together and I was sick of not driving it so I stuck the spring back in place and went for a test drive. The steering tries to stick to the center and clunks when I turn it past center... The ****.

Two things:

First, it sounds like it's hanging in neutral and your shifter is causing yiu b to think it's out of gear.

Second, the steering is a more serious issue as you know. Take a good look at the intermediate shaft between the rack and the column. It may need replacing. Also, if you can put the front end on jack stands, try disconnecting the intermediate shaft and turning the front wheels while the car is running. If it turns rather freely, the issue is in the column. If not, it is in the rack or column. If you eliminate the column, reconnect the intermediate shaft, and disconnect the tie rods. Then you will know if it is the rack, the tie rods, or the column.

Two things:

First, it sounds like it's hanging in neutral and your shifter is causing yiu b to think it's out of gear.

Second, the steering is a more serious issue as you know. Take a good look at the intermediate shaft between the rack and the column. It may need replacing. Also, if you can put the front end on jack stands, try disconnecting the intermediate shaft and turning the front wheels while the car is running. If it turns rather freely, the issue is in the column. If not, it is in the rack or column. If you eliminate the column, reconnect the intermediate shaft, and disconnect the tie rods. Then you will know if it is the rack, the tie rods, or the column.

Hanging in neutral? I'll look into the steering tomorrow, thanks.

It may feel like you get into neutral, but it may be hanging a gear engaged.

I did take a video. What do you think?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BMm2SZNj9_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also earlier when I was putting the interior back together I found a rectangular thing in the back of the driver's seat.. Feels like thin flimsy plastic. No idea what it is or how it got there.

Back