• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuel rail leaking

Lando

Arthur Digby Sellers
Fuel rail is leaking at one of the (what looks like) silver soldered joints. Anyone try to repair these with silver solder? No 240s in the junk yards near me right now.

I have tried. It worked for a while. If you need one, I can probably dig one up. What year?

It's an 86, but I installed the late style with the schrader valve. Where was yours leaking from? Mine appears to be leaking from where the front padeye (for mounting to the intake) is soldered to the rail. I'm going to take it out and confirm it is leaking from that spot by pressurizing it to 50psi with a bike pump in a bucket full of water.

For sure leaking from the solder joint. Pumped it up to 45 psi and used some soapy water:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SucBf4GHk4w" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That joint isn’t even designed to seal, it’s just to hold the padeye, not sure how it’s even leaking from there.

I had the same issue before. Fuel rail cracked in the same place. I ended up just replacing it as I didn't want to bother repairing it.

It's not leaking now. A few drops of 12.5% HCl and some silver solder did the trick.

I think the cause of failure is one of the mounting bolts worked its way loose. Perhaps the vibration caused the joint to crack.

Back