• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

140-series round gauge clusters?

fatcatbestcat

Professional Hack
Hello, once again. If anyone has seen my last post, you'd know that I just recently picked up a '69 144S for a project. You'd also know that I don't know jack about Volvos. Sorry for that, again.

Anyway, since this car really isn't a resto job, I was considering swapping out the horizontal-speedo gauge cluster for a round one (preferably also one with a tach). I see the 'Rallye' clusters or whatever but seem kind've expensive, and I wanted to know if there were other options (like if a 240's gauge cluster somehow magically fits)

Thanks again,
and sorry for my ignorance.

20-30 years ago you could get some hop up stuff for 140s from IPD but even then the dollar per horsepower ratio was high, inflation adjusted and considering the dwindling market for it, it would be insanely expensive so they discontinued it years ago.

In fact just recently even their flagship product the IPD sway bars for 140s have gone NLA.

What the man is saying, you got to pay to play. Antique Volvos require fair of amount $$$. There are no easy/cheap solutions. You want to hack your car up, go right ahead. If the car is decent shape, maybe pass on to someone who will do right by it. And consider a 240/740/940 model. People hack these cars everyday and no one bats an eye and some people even encourage it.

There were 4 and 5 gauge clusters made for 140/164. The 4 gauge "GT" clusters don't require special senders while the 5 gauge "Rallye" clusters do.

140GTInstrumentCluster1.jpg

RallyeInstrument.jpg

One of my customers has this one for sale. It's a GT cluster with a Rallye tach.

GT_ClusterRallyeTach.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought the smallest universal tach I could find and used the double stick tape that came with it to stick it to the top of the steering surround. It's that or ~$600 for the GT gauge cluster.
bz4YtXK.jpg

There were 4 and 5 gauge clusters made for 140/164. The 4 gauge "GT" clusters don't require special senders while the 5 gauge "Rallye" clusters do.

140GTInstrumentCluster1.jpg

RallyeInstrument.jpg

One of my customers has this one for sale. It's a GT cluster with a Rallye tach.

GT_ClusterRallyeTach.jpeg

What?s the asking price?

Even at having roger rebuild for 2 benjis, at 325 you're still ahead of the game on the 5 gauge cluster

Back