• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 740 clutch safety switch

V8wagon

My car started life as an automatic and it was converted to a manual transmission when the V8 was installed.

The car doesn't have a clutch starter safety switch so you can crank the vehicle over in gear with the clutch pedal released (ie dangerous).

Do manual transmission 740 Volvo's normally have a clutch pedal starter safety switch?

I can't find one in any of the diagrams I have access to and none of the online parts places seem to list one nor do any of the Volvo parts places I called.

Still waiting for the Volvo dealer parts department to call me back (two calls so far).

It's not dangerous to start a manual car in gear. It was decades before a clutch safety switch was even dreamed of. It doesn't take long to realize that if the car lurches the clutch pedal needs depressed.

It is dangerous if the clutch is released when you do so - the vehicle will lurch forward and could run someone over. I would think the safety minded company Volvo would have had this feature in 1992 - plenty of other cars already did.

BTW - that doesn't actually answer my question either. Did a 1992 Volvo 740 MT have one?

BTW - that doesn't actually answer my question either. Did a 1992 Volvo 740 MT have one?
Last U.S.A. year for 740T stick shift is 1991, but to answer your question: no.

Not on any Volvo model up to (and including) 1998. Not sure beyond that in the complete ford ownership days and beyond.

I like not having it, but to each their own. I think it's annoying. I check if it's in neutral or push the clutch, I'm not a complete idiot, tho I used to drive so many in a given day that I pushed the brake and cranked a stick one and it went "clunk" forward a bit..."oh, derp, stick, riight." Happened once or twice, nothing really came of it. I suppose there's darwin award potential there though.

I liked the way it was in my 4runner (or Landcruiser and Nissan Patrol) where you could just cancel it by pushing the dash switch and reach in and start it or start it from the engine bay too.

I personally think a clutch "safety" switch is more dangerous.

Just this summer my old BMW had intermittent cut-outs. I could put it in 1st and limp out of an intersection on the starter.

Back