• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mike K? ruin another volvo. 945 pickup build

When I was a kid, my buddies dad had a VW beetle, that had shaved door handles, he opened it with a magnet on his key ring that repelled some sort of actuator inside the door. Was really trick and because he dad just waved his hand and the door opened, I thought he was magic!

This thing is coming along so damn nicely. I can’t wait to see it in a single color.

update: much sanding has occurred. It's also grey now.

We have been pushing forward to get the body work close enough to seal the car up in epoxy. Before Christmas I stripped it down and did a lot of paint prep.

h0bK1E5.jpg

kBtbpLO.jpg

I've also been piling up some v90 stuff, so figured I'd prime it all. Feel like I might want a bigger hatch spoiler, hmm..

ll7F16U.jpg

The plan was to shoot primer on the thing during the week we both had off from work during the holidays. Unfortunately it was single digit temperatures in Mass for two weeks solid. The epoxy primer is supposed to be sprayed with metal temp at a MIN of 65* F. With the outside temps we couldn't get the garage and car warm enough to paint.

So with the car half taped up I had to drive it up to the neighbors garage to wait it out. This past weekend we finally were above freezing, so we put the car in and sealed off the garage with a tarp - this made a big difference.

57KIoOo.jpg

Also made some heating system improvements (it's a big heat exchanger plumbed into the hot water coming from an outdoor wood stove that heats the house), and dumped hot air on it for 24hrs. Air temps got pretty toasty with the fan on high!

fH4oGTn.jpg

Many logs in the stove later we had it warm enough to go.

N8oAsCR.jpg

After a year it was really satisfying to see it turning one color. And no, we could not be bothered to mask off the LingLong tires :lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5mv0YJNAyo0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did two coats on Saturday, then Sunday morning wet sanded it and shot a 3rd nice wet coat. The body filler sucks the primer up like crazy, so there's many more coats and sandings left to do.

Very pleased with how it went. Little fine tuning, another swag(s) at the body line on the bed rails and it'll be ready for the next rounds of primer.

Aoti1Gy.jpg

not bad!
PoORVB3.jpg

kaMsiK6.jpg

I'm particularly happy with how well things worked out with the 'd-pillar' extension and bedrail joint.

TLV0taR.jpg

fUJEjJU.jpg

n0LiYYm.jpg

:)

6Bu0MC9.jpg

It's finishing off it's bake in the toasty garage this week, Will try to get things hung back on it next weekend. Might need to get the 242 ready for Spring after that.

I come here for my fix of "we're doing this our spare time, not really taking it seriously. But it's gonna be nicer than 90% of the projects on TB"

Keep it up fellas. I want to see this thing done and 2J'd

I come here for my fix of "we're doing this our spare time, not really taking it seriously. But it's gonna be nicer than 90% of the projects on TB"

Keep it up fellas. I want to see this thing done and 2J'd

Ahh, but this is practice. Mike's 242 is going to get rockers at some point, and they will be welded and leaded, as we did with the seams on the Ute. Also learning all about the new materials, epoxy primers to seal and protect, two-part high build urethane primers, and eventually catalyzed paints. Learned a lot about stripping re-paint and original clear/color/primer, as well as how the new body fillers act and sand.

My experience is so dated, that it's almost useless. This is giving both of us an opportunity to figure things out.

And, it still is fun!

Hanging the panels and loading the doors turned out to be a bit of a pain. We had to dig around under the dash to move the doors, and I ran into problems swapping glass around because the passenger door is from an older car and there were slight differences.

KAsdIbg.jpg

encouraging results though.

gGNp0hK.jpg

Also spent some time on the sunroof. We cut the tray off and folded the edge up to shorten it. Then made a piece of aluminum with a 90* bend into a kind of dam to seal up against the roof. All got a healthy coat of silicone. We looked at some ways we could add drains to the rear and drain it down the 'd-pillar', but will see how it does with just front drains for now.

XlHWtsp.jpg

QRQgovj.jpg

EM904a3.jpg

I also bought some new knock off e-codes and the nicest eggcrate I think is left around!

yvC3F17.jpg

Spent today playing around with bumpers and lights. I did a quick rattle can job of some primer on the bumpers so they would match the car. I had the rear hung on the car but the bumper bar was so rusted where the shocks bolted on it fell off the car :lol:

Super happy to see it looking like a car!!

7vX3pjQ.jpg

kesApmK.jpg

UDaWJgX.jpg

YCdbO38.jpg

Going to do some work on the hatch and tailgate next. I also bought some Lexan to make the quarter windows. Pretty soon I'd like to start running the car around a little bit just to enjoy it and shake things out.

Been looking around at wheels... any thoughts??

Where do you get knock off e codes at? Please help a Volvo noob.

I also have some MSW mesh wheels for sale.............need a little cleaning

Back