• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

D24 to TDI

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
So I'm pondering the options of putting an ALH/AHU/1Z TDI in a volvo. As of right now, I have the correct 240 bellhousing and a t5 trans and adapter to go behind it.

What can I/should I do clutch-wise?

I used a stage 2 Southbend clutch and PP on a solid flywheel in my slightly modded BEW Golf. I had a BW S7 turbo and a tune.

The Southbend clutch felt great. Lighter pedal than stock and it had fantstic engagement. It would hold quite a bit more power than I was making too.

Oh yeah, I would use a BEW or a BRM nowadays. More power from stock, and much more available just by tuning.

VR6 turbo swap it instead.

Or use a AAZ, or a 1.6 diesel with a turbo if you want to keep it simple.
A TDI-M if you want to spend a lot of money.

All the TDIs will require a big jump into the electrical. Talk to Josh @ Yoshifab, as they've already done the TDI into a Volvo swap.

Are you sure about that? I think the 4's use a different bellhousing than the 5 and 6's.
The VR6s definitely have a different pattern, but the late 5's can be made to work with a 4cyl bellhousing. The D24 definitely comes from a time that predates any VW 5-6 cyl engine so I have no idea what fits. I'd be VERY interested in finding a D24 bellhousing if I could swap in a VW engine :).

VR6 turbo swap it instead.

Or use a AAZ, or a 1.6 diesel with a turbo if you want to keep it simple.
A TDI-M if you want to spend a lot of money.

All the TDIs will require a big jump into the electrical. Talk to Josh @ Yoshifab, as they've already done the TDI into a Volvo swap.

I have talked to Josh, and he sort of told me to just buy some guy's kit and use a Toyota truck transmission. I'm not really impressed by the idea, and like the concept of making use of as much VW/Volvo stuff as I can. It also sounds cooler to say it still has a Volvo BH.

For the pure sake of the discussion:
The D24/D24T, from behind, "looks" like the VW 1.6IDI used in the mk1/mk2/b1 cars. The 1.6IDI has the same flywheel bolt pattern and bell housing pattern as an ABA, TDI, 8v, 16v, etc. The VR6 is a different animal as it uses both a different flywheel and bell housing patterns.

What I plan to do:
240 D24 m46 bell housing milled out to accept Kaplhenke T5 adapter
4cyl mustang T5 trans (1-1/6" 10 spline input shaft)
AHU/ALH/1Z 1.9L TDI engine (have a lead on two good running AHU's with harnesses and ECU's)
G60 flywheel (single mass, not prone to exploding like the stock AHU dual-mass)
VR6 pressure plate and custom sprung center VR6 clutch disk (stock clutch material and diameter, splined for Ford T5)

The VR6 OEM clutch is rated for somewhere between 250 and 300 Ft/lbs depending on who you ask. I plan to run a Malone Stage 2 tune, which will put me at the ~220 WTQ and well under the max for the clutch. I have to fab my own mounts and determine the best way to mount the starter (not sure if I'll use a D24 unit or the TDI unit mounted with the gear pointed towards the rear of the car).

The D24 is an LT motor which definitely has a different bellhousing pattern than the tdi motors...lets start with the basics; by what means do you plan on starting the engine without a provision for a starter motor? park it on a hill every time?

Back