• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

The droning in 5th is bad on mine too. It seems to be worse from 2500-3k, and really bad on decel.

Did you put Dynamat on the roof of your 245?

damn it I thought maybe my driveshaft was still scraping or I had the angles wrong .... but i dont feel any vibrations..

yes. along with the foam stuff - HUGE difference. I lined my floor with the lows stuff when I first got the car 7(?) years ago. Im planning on going back and redoing it all with dynamat

just looked at my thread and all the damn pics are fubar.... but per sq inch dynamat is lighter than stock stuff but you end up using a lot more of it. (pg 9-10 if you got the fix for dead photobucket)

good sound deadening material (recommend RAAMmat) and some insulation will help with the trans noise.

I'd rather listen to the trans a bit then keep all the heat in it with a blanket if it's at all a 'regular use' car.

good sound deadening material (recommend RAAMmat) and some insulation will help with the trans noise.

I'd rather listen to the trans a bit then keep all the heat in it with a blanket if it's at all a 'regular use' car.

Yeah, I abandoned the blanket idea pretty much instantly. I'm going to pack as much sound deadening in there as I can, drain out some of that Lucas Oil Stabilizer, and just run it.

You said it was rebuilt, was it rebuilt with new gears? Or just bearings/synchros? If the latter, (some of) the gears likely have a wear pattern on them that is no longer aligned with the bearings replaced. Quite a common issue on rebuilt boxes, irrespective of box.

You said it was rebuilt, was it rebuilt with new gears? Or just bearings/synchros? If the latter, (some of) the gears likely have a wear pattern on them that is no longer aligned with the bearings replaced. Quite a common issue on rebuilt boxes, irrespective of box.

I wish I knew. The seller just said "rebuilt with an HD rebuild kit", and I hadn't done any research at that point, so I didn't have much to say to that.

I put in about 1000 really hard miles over the weekend while doing the Coastal Range Rally out here in California. The car did amazingly well, both in the turns and where power is concerned. Really impressed with the car, overall.

That said, the T5 has only gotten louder, and now has a substantial input shaft seal leak. (I thought this was the RMS, but it's mostly the input shaft). I'll be pulling the trans soon, but the thought of tearing into it and probably replacing gears and having to re-rebuild it is bumming me out. I currently have a Ford Motorsport m-7003-z sitting in my Summit Racing cart. It would be a completely ridiculous purchase, considering how much I paid for the T5 I currently have, but I'm pretty ready to bite the bullet and move past the transmission part of this build.

This is the trans I'm looking at. The 2.95 first would be really nice with my 4.30:1 rear end.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-7003-z

Feel free to advise for or against this move, if you have opinions.

That's the transmission I have in my car, with a 3.91 rear and a .8 5th. It's great, I really don't have any complaints with it. Mine came from Modern Driveline who supplied the fifth gear as well as a few other upgrades. I think it ran around $2,300.

That's the transmission I have in my car, with a 3.91 rear and a .8 5th. It's great, I really don't have any complaints with it. Mine came from Modern Driveline who supplied the fifth gear as well as a few other upgrades. I think it ran around $2,300.

I'm waffling on the .80 or .63 5th. The .63 even with my 4.30 axle is too tall for mountain roads, and I found myself between 4th and 5th a lot over the weekend. However, it's fantastic for highway cruising, which is realistically what I'll be doing most often.

I absolutely hated the .85 5th in my Celica box with a 4.10. Dropped about 300 rpm over 4th, so cruising on the freeway at 70 was spinning around 3800. With the .68 in the T5 it's around 3k. Yeah, it's a big drop, would be less with the 4.30, plus with boost it wouldn't be too bad I wouldn't think.

I don't really use my car on the highway, so that was not a factor in the decision for me. I use fifth gear to pull through twisty, elevation changing backroads where a good fast cruising speed is 65-70mph. It is FANTASTIC for that, car is always in a sweet spot. Honestly my Viggen isn't geared much taller in 5th and it never bothers me. I have just never felt the need for an '85mph at 2300rpm' gear. Our roads aren't that flat and it seems like a waste of gear to me.

A .63 would completely suck for my driving. That's why gearing is all about where you are and how you'll use the car.

Yeah, like I said I found myself winding 4th out as opposed to dropping into the low 5th, and at times it was annoying. But then I drive 300 miles back to Santa Cruz on 101, cruising at 80mph and 3k rpm. That was nice.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this new transmission. The one in my car now will have the leaky input shaft seal replaced and will be up for sale or kept as a spare. 2018 is expensive so far...

anyone got a 5th you can drop in (that said I don't think the .8 was a direct drop in) that would split the difference a bit?

aren't they all!

I've emailed Modern Driveline asking what the options are. Just looking around, I don't see anyhting other than .63 or .8.

Just got off the phone with Modern Driveline. They can do a brand new T5z with a 2.95 first and a .73 5th for a little under $2300. That sounds like it's going to do the trick.

Back