• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New to the fleet - 1988 745 turbo

I had a dent that looked kind of similar on my old car once. I took out the rear panels in the 245 spare tire well (where the dent was) and just pushed the dent out by hand. Not 100% perfect, but I would say 90-95%. I used a textbook to spread out the force, hoping it would work better.

Maybe something similar would work for you.

jrocheunh said:
I had a dent that looked kind of similar on my old car once. I took out the rear panels in the 245 spare tire well (where the dent was) and just pushed the dent out by hand. Not 100% perfect, but I would say 90-95%. I used a textbook to spread out the force, hoping it would work better.

Maybe something similar would work for you.

Thanks for the tip... It's worth a shot!

I know that car, and knew the builder. He was a member here a few years ago. He had a webpage that covered everything he did to the vehicle, i spoke with him every once in a while, until i found out he sold it a few years back. He built the sub box, and did all the mods to it. I purchased my set of volvo manuals from him.

He sold it to someone who "liked" the car, glad to see it came back.

That dent may be more difficult to pop out than you think, since it was from a hit. Every 745/945 i have seen get hit like that caused some buckling and damage underneath. Does the back door open and close ok or a little stiff? You may need to have it professionally pulled. Or, get someone who knows there metal work, and "shrink" the metal and work it out. I have never seen one like that just push out, but hopefully that will work and save the hassle!

Last edited:
Wow Chris! My long lost brother adds rear wheel power to the fleet. Nice! I did the same for my wife, but switched marques a little (only a little, because I have MB parts on the Volvo :???: ):
102_2149.JPG

I love the new-to-you wagon and the RH wheels. Nice additions by the previous owner. ;-)

Vee_Que said:
Ex-pat, shame shame shame shame etc, do you enjoy paying too much for tyres and losing ride quality?

huh? My ride quality is fine. The streets here are just as good or better than in Mulgrave, mate.

BoxDriver2 said:
I know that car, and knew the builder. He was a member here a few years ago. He had a webpage that covered everything he did to the vehicle, i spoke with him every once in a while, until i found out he sold it a few years back. He built the sub box, and did all the mods to it. I purchased my set of volvo manuals from him.

He sold it to someone who "liked" the car, glad to see it came back.

That dent may be more difficult to pop out than you think, since it was from a hit. Every 745/945 i have seen get hit like that caused some buckling and damage underneath. Does the back door open and close ok or a little stiff? You may need to have it professionally pulled. Or, get someone who knows there metal work, and "shrink" the metal and work it out. I have never seen one like that just push out, but hopefully that will work and save the hassle!

I know some local guys who know the builder too... I kinda cheated when I was buying this car - I knew more about it than the guy who was selling it. :p
Sure wish the guy had "liked" it with soap and water once in a while!

Wish he'd kept those manuals though - but glad to see they are getting some use.

Last edited:
exexpat said:
Wow Chris! My long lost brother adds rear wheel power to the fleet. Nice! I did the same for my wife, but switched marques a little (only a little, because I have MB parts on the Volvo :???: ):
102_2149.JPG

I love the new-to-you wagon and the RH wheels. Nice additions by the previous owner. ;-)

Love the new ride... But I still LOVE the 850.

When you get tired of those rims (either set of the MB rims), send 'em to me - they should bolt up nicely right about here:
VolvoWheels005.jpg

(Of course they are MUCH cleaner now)

From a distance those rims on the wagon look like turbo rims. I love the turbo rims but they are too narrow. My stock rubber is 205, but with the turbo rims you're stuck with 195 :p The car looks good :)

Jono780 said:
From a distance those rims on the wagon look like turbo rims. I love the turbo rims but they are too narrow. My stock rubber is 205, but with the turbo rims you're stuck with 195 :p The car looks good :)

With these I'm running 225/50 16.

Not bad, but I'd sure love some 245.

Black and white checkered insert in the seats? Sweet ride.. I like being able to see the spoiler and rwwr's installed on my identical car paint and all 'cept mine is two years older.
Looks like you've got a lot of work ahead. He scored it 760 hoses too.. I noticed that in the jy that they eliminate all the metal T's and snagged a freshish set. along with the copper radiator which is all polished up. You should put a heat shield around that cone. You gonna compression test it after they raced it out?

Fair call expat, I forget that the majority of cars in america are lucky enough to not need handling cos the roads are so straight and smooth :p

Tick said:
Black and white checkered insert in the seats? Sweet ride.. I like being able to see the spoiler and rwwr's installed on my identical car paint and all 'cept mine is two years older.
Looks like you've got a lot of work ahead. He scored it 760 hoses too.. I noticed that in the jy that they eliminate all the metal T's and snagged a freshish set. along with the copper radiator which is all polished up. You should put a heat shield around that cone. You gonna compression test it after they raced it out?

Regular black leather seats.

I have the metal radiator - I may polish it up after I get her running good.
I need to do a comp test after I get the leaks sorted out.. and the vibrations (likely motor mounts) and figure why the thing blows so much oil out of the tailpipe. I'll bet the comp test will reveal an answer there.

Vee_Que said:
Fair call expat, I forget that the majority of cars in america are lucky enough to not need handling cos the roads are so straight and smooth :p

And wider track with lower profile wider than stock tyres equals poorer handling? Are you right, mate? :roll:

exexpat said:

This is off topic, but saw your car in EuroTuner. They were impressed, which is cool. Did you see it?

Back on topic, that wagon will look real nice once it's cleaned up. It's got mad potential.

really nice... exactly what Id want, but in manual- which is the only reason I dont have one. :lol:

maybe paint the wheels bronzeish/gunmetal color? I think thatd look beautiful with a good cleanup and the dent pulled. As it stands, thats a killer find. :)

Last edited:
exexpat said:
And wider track with lower profile wider than stock tyres equals poorer handling? Are you right, mate? :roll:
I'm more thinking of comfort, and unless they are the same height as stock the suspension won't be tuned right and the difference in handling is marginal without suspension changes as the car is deisgn for a certain size, also seems pointless getting a 4x4 when it's never going offroad......

Just don't worry, I'm anti-4x4.....

Regular black leather seats.

I have the metal radiator - I may polish it up after I get her running good.
I need to do a comp test after I get the leaks sorted out.. and the vibrations (likely motor mounts) and figure why the thing blows so much oil out of the tailpipe. I'll bet the comp test will reveal an answer there.

I'm preferential to the black and white, just because it gets hot here in cali and I don't like my ass to stick - Couldn't see it in your pics.. Love the short throw auto shifter.. The PPO was a ricer I don't care who knows him :-P
The copper tank looks sweet polished but my mechanic chewed my ass dry for wirewheeling mine and scratching it all up. I wonder if they can throw copper in a hot tank. Hopefully the comp test will tell you everything's purrfect and you need a new turbo.. Which is what I was thinking seeing that rear window... Retorque the head or change the gasket before you raise the boost or you might be motor shopping with me. :twisted:

BDKR, Got a link?

New Pics

Here she is cleaned up. (Let's hope I'm a better mechanic than photographer, eh?)
VolvoPics003.jpg

(Why is the front spoiler not staying up on the sides??)

VolvoPics002.jpg

(Now i know why the PO didn't wash it - there's primer spots on the tailgate and you can see where the roof rack used to be - no biggee, it needs full paint)

Instrument cluster:
VolvoPics005.jpg

But wait, where's the stock boost gauge, what's that in the upper right corner?

VolvoPics006.jpg

Ahhh... VDO Oil Pressure gauge... Yummy!

Odometer:
VolvoPics008.jpg

Awww, she's still just a baby.

Took her out for a spin last night, got her all warmed up then did the water torture and half a can of Seafoam. Got some steam/smoke near the end but not much. She's cooking up the Marvel Mystery Oil now and will get an oil change and new plugs (Bosch Plats in there now, yuck!) tonight. Fix the tranny seals and a full flush, couple of motor mounts and we should be riding in style!

Last edited:
Back