• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Erik's 220 Project

Rockmonton

Welp, luck strikes good on the long weekend....

nam2.jpg

nam1.jpg

nam3.jpg

nam4.jpg

nam5.jpg

nam7.jpg

nam9.jpg

nam10.jpg

"Ad" pics, comes basically with another cars worth of parts...

super solid bodywise though, drivers floor ribs have afew dime sized holes in the pressings, and the rear floor has a bigger hole in it, but no holes in rockers/cowl/inner fenders/anything, it's been undercoated religiously, all the rust is from water on the inside.

body is very straight too.

rear end isn't great, engine is leaky, but no biggie.

have an explorer 8.8 and a t5 that could fix a few things....

trying to figure out how to paint it, get it on the road and driving.

someone has rebuilt the brakes front and rear as well as all the front suspension bushings within the last 5k km. so all is looking well. Should be super fun to patch the floor and reassemble the interior.

EDIT:

Ultimate Goal for this car.

Reliable summer cruiser/autoX'er

Powertrain, Turbo redblock (b21f+t), t5, and ford 8.8.
Rust free body with good paint.
Cream interior, bodycolour dash, with nice buckets for cruising/road trips.
Completion date for having the car on the road: July 11, 2010.
Completion date for powertrain, September 29, 2010.

Last edited:
nice. seems like a good solid start to a nice project.. sweet ride man. what color are you going with? I think those old school wagons look really good with the og off white cream color.

gonna do hopefully, burgundy/dark red on the bottom and white on the roof/hood/tailgate/sides above the body line.

anyone know where i can buy the pucks to shorten an 8.8" ford rear end?

otherwise, it's a trip to the machine shop...

decided on a colour....

3421151654_d698e09194.jpg

shouldn't be too hard to lay that down nice.

And found an 8.8 in good shape for $250.

it'll end up being right near 56.75" wide though between WMS. I've had people guess it may fit well with the right offset wheels.

anyone know what the largest size you can go is before you run into fender interference issues on stock stuff?

amazon_1.jpg

floor_1.jpg

floor_2.jpg

floor_3.jpg

61" lip to lip it looks like in the rear, soo.... with a shortened explorer rear end, i SHOULD be able to fit 7" rims with a 40mm offset without rubbing or rolling the lips.

floor_5.jpg

floor_4.jpg

much harder welding on steel of varying thickness and in the wind, but it's coming along.

may cut out and replace all the floor pans sometime in the future. but this'll do for now.

floor_6.jpg

floor_7.jpg

done for today, gonna try and get a bit more done before i pull out of town tomorrow. hope to get the welds finished/ground down and the floors wire wheeled and primed by tomorrow mid-day.

floor_8.jpg

ta-da! not the cleanest job ever, but it'll do for now, coated in rust-converter primer for the little bit of surface stuff that didn't wire brush off, then some seam sealer around the parts that were a PITA, and then a nice sized coat of tremclad (i mean, it's a floor afterall)

gave it some oil pressure on the b18 and sprayed oil out the RMS.

You know what that means?

mounting a 79' b21f upright by merging the two oil pumps together. Putting in the WC 4cyl t5 i've got. and replacing the noisy rear end.

Rear end it has been decided will be probably a 28 spline crown vic or disc brake aerostar (especially if i can find one with lsd with a 3.73 or less gearing to make use of that granny first gear on those T5's) cut down to use 89-92 ranger 8.8 shortside axles (shortest stock axle). It would be much cheaper than an explorer rear end with custom axles, though about 30% weaker. Mind you, the car weighs literally nothing compared to a crown vic or even a ranger.

if i can get back to town this weekend. Expect pictures.

The drivers side floor is completely patched and painted. Next will be the passenger side.

amazon_2.jpg

amazon_3.jpg

amazon_4.jpg

amazon_5.jpg

amazon_6.jpg

amazon_7.jpg

all done, absolutely minimal clearance to the brake pressure sender. It WILL fit the b21f intake with some fiddling. the ford 60 trim compresser housing will clear on a 90+ though it won't bolt on once the motor is in the bay. gotta do the line into the oil pan, and should be getting close to finishing what i had wanted to tomorrow.

Back