• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

760 Front End Swap

AMilli96

Trying to do some research on front end swapping my cars. I have a 90 760 with the big headlight and inner fogs, and I am deciding whether or not to put in the effort of swapping it to my quad headlight front end from the 740. I have everything to do the swap and Id rather have the older frontend. Pretty sure someone has done it, but I would like to know is there any special things I have to lookout for when I do the swap. Any advice besides "why would you do this?" is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Do your windshield wipers go just under the hood, or are they on top of a panel with the air inlet? AFAIK that difference means that the front fenders won't just swap without modification. I think I recall reading somewhere that long hood vs short hood 7/9xx's had different fenders.

They go under the hood, just like on your 1992 960.

Apart from very obvious, different is the wiper linkage, wiper arms, cowl panel, WINDSHIELD + TRIM, hood hinges, hood lifters, firewall and I probably forgot something.

It's probably easiest to chop your can in half at B-pillar (and I mean B-pillar, not A-pillar.) and weld on a 740 forward, then swap your front seats back in. <Insert a grinning emoticon of choice.>

They go under the hood, just like on your 1992 960.

Apart from very obvious, different is the wiper linkage, wiper arms, cowl panel, WINDSHIELD + TRIM, hood hinges, hood lifters, firewall and I probably forgot something.

It's probably easiest to buy the car you want since you're obviously unhappy with it. <Insert a grinning emoticon of choice.>

FTFY.

I have everything I would need for the swap, since I have the quad light car. I know the cowl is different.

I'm surprised very little people have done it.

stiligFox is on the right track. The long good cars have a whole host of sheet metal differences when compared to -89 740s. Almost everything from the firewall forward is different (hood, cowl, firewall, fenders, inner fenders).

If you had a regular 940, the swap would be relatively trivial--mostly a bolt-on affair. However, converting your 760 to the early 740 front end will require a considerable amount of custom fabrication to make it work.

you need an 89+ 760 with the more modern front end to swap to 95+ 960 easily. Otherwise there is a lot of work that needs to be done to get it to fit. Cutting and welding. Worth it in the long run but won't look as good as a factory long hood car.

See, I'd rather have that than the USDM headlights. I don't know why, but I think they are pretty bad.

I bought the car for the engine in it, but it drove pretty nice and I am going to keep it drivable.

The US market lights you have are downright atrocious. I upgraded to the e-codes mentioned above and it's been amazing. I imported two sets from Poland and cleaned them up. I can see probably 4x further down the road now, and the e-code pattern lights up road signs nicely. And beside a little rewiring, they bolt right in for our style cars.

you need an 89+ 760 with the more modern front end to swap to 95+ 960 easily. Otherwise there is a lot of work that needs to be done to get it to fit. Cutting and welding. Worth it in the long run but won't look as good as a factory long hood car.
1988+ model year car, actually. Some of mines were even made in 1987, as 1988 models...

Anyway, he's not looking into converting 760 into 960, but into a flatnose 740...

Buy ecodes and enjoy. Keep it simple.

I've been browsing Ebay and the like for E-codes, and well, I cannot seem to find any that are reasonably priced. But its been like a day so ill keep searching. I found the thread about wiring the headlights and it seems to me very simple. Thanks to all that have answered, you have changed my mind on this matter.

A few members are selling them here, feel free to message me as well. Be careful of the TYC aftermarkets; I have a set and they need work out of the box to make them work right.

Back