• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sway Bar Nut

Otto Mattik

board member
Curious about specs for (front) sway/stabilzer bar link nut ?
One fell off, I can check other side for nut size. Wondering if metric course thread from a hardware store will suffice ?

* Looked on Tasca, IPD, FCP, etc and no size or specifics given, although one site had the nut listed as a lock nut

1992 240 Volvo

Last edited:
TBH I don't think they're the same between aftermarket brands. I recall having to swap sockets a lot when going from old suspension crap to new crap. All stated, you should be able to find something at the HW store.

You can pull the other side (assuming you have the same ones on each side) and see... they're also like, $12 or something to just get a new one iirc.

sway bar links

FWIW - those whole links with bushings and hardware brand new are short money. IMHO if you are going through all the trouble to play with those it may be a good time to replace them and have some piece of mind.

Ya except those scantech bushings are garbage, not to mention corporate shipping, just take the nut from the other side to the hardware store and match it up like anybody with half a brain would do.

The nut on sway bar link was 15mm(wrench size). Found a beefier 17mm nut/bushing/bushing washer, in parts hoard. After some lifting and fussing it's back together.

Thanks for all input & advice :nod:

FWIW - those whole links with bushings and hardware brand new are short money. IMHO if you are going through all the trouble to play with those it may be a good time to replace them and have some piece of mind.

Yep, I noticed that. Good advice. Going thru suspension, working out the bugs, thanks. :nod:

1992 240 Wagon Lesjofors HD frnt sprngs/ Bils HD, Swedish 14mm rr sprngs, IPD 25mm bars, IPD pnhrd, oe exhst set up, VX

* The sway bars, panhard bar, vx, & Bils were on car when I purchased it. I removed the lowering springs, & likely will replace the rr bar w/ 21 or 19(?). The Bils shocks were trashed, & considering another set. The struts are fine. :nod:

:nod:

A 242-244 21mm 240 turbo rear bar would be best on a wagon with a 25mm IPD front bar.

Sounds good. I still haven't decided if I'm keeping the 25 up front ? Considering the terrible roads up here & already running HD springs, she rides ruff unless loaded to the hilt. I'm even considering going to 13mm rr springs (intersting the 14's are NLA, currently) ? Likely hang onto the 14's in the event I ever get around to mounting trailor hitch (?) thanks again !!

Back