• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

N/a 240 exhaust options

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
So I've made the decision to stay N/A with the 244 for the foreseeable future. I would like to replace the entire exhaust system and plan on deleting the cat.

What is the best size to use with the stock "downpipe"? I'm running a K cam with an adjustable gear but have an m46, so peaky power isn't a concern.

Has anybody used one long or two shorter glass pack (cherry bomb) in the position of the resonator (1st muffler) and just run a straight pipe all the way back and out the passenger side?

I like the idea and am open to something a little obnoxious, I just don't want a straight pipe and would like to have some hearing remaining in 5 years.

(Yes, I do plan on being lazy and going under the axle)

Delete the resonator for a bit more grumble. I'm not sure there's any benefit to a fatter exhaust on an n/a.

Delete the resonator for a bit more grumble. I'm not sure there's any benefit to a fatter exhaust on an n/a.

In that case, what is the outlet size of the downpipe? I'll just use whatever size that is and throw a few cherry bombs in it. My current system is completely trashed.

You can get the ipd sport exhaust. It's 2 1/4 piping. It's basically the stock exhaust system minus the smaller muffler and slightly bigger pipes.(stock being 2 inch pipe)

I have the above exhaust cat back with a cherry bomb welded in place of the stock muffler, no resonator for sale, just need to make/get a cat delete pipe. It sounded great with the turbo, it will be louder n/a.

You can get the ipd sport exhaust. It's 2 1/4 piping. It's basically the stock exhaust system minus the smaller muffler and slightly bigger pipes.(stock being 2 inch pipe)

Can I just use a piece of 2" pipe to replace the cat then?

Deleting the cat is pointless for performance on an NA. May as well put one on there to not have to deal with the hassle. FWIW the Evo 8 and 9 actually put more power down with the stupid cat than without.

Regardless, for NA go for sound. I'd run straight pipe with just the cat were it me. But I like the way the stupid tractor motor sounds on song.

Deleting the cat is pointless for performance on an NA. May as well put one on there to not have to deal with the hassle. FWIW the Evo 8 and 9 actually put more power down with the stupid cat than without.

Regardless, for NA go for sound. I'd run straight pipe with just the cat were it me. But I like the way the stupid tractor motor sounds on song.

You wouldn't happen to have any sound clips would you? The only ones I can find are ghetto style with a pipe folded up at the end.

As I just posted in another thread. This is my car effectively straight piped. The pipe broke before the cat. It spits fire and backfires and the whole 9. (This is just me driving home from work 1 day so click around for various audio. I didn't spare the redline.
https://youtu.be/W6kz79Hdaeg?t=1m34s

It's too loud with just a straight pipe, but with the resonance of a cat and... you know, the rest of the dang pipe going to the back it'll be just fine.

My Saab 900 classic just lost it's rear muffler this summer and were it not the wifes car, that would've gotten the muffler delete as well.

You can ALSO find on my pointless youtube channel my 245 with side exit with muffler AND cat. It's fine, but too quiet.

When younger I liked loud. But I learned you can have enough sound out the back without beating yourself up inside. Of course everyone has their own like of how much sound that is. I suggest at least one good sized muffer like a 24" long one and a resonated tip for some smoothness.

With only one muffler with these engines. You can get a lot of exhaust resonance between 2-3k rpms. With a resonator tip or resonator muffler added you smooth that out. Without losing any of the over all sound of your choice.

Basically, in my experience with aftermarket mufflers.
Loudest and lowest build quality=Flowmaster
Dynomax and Magnaflow have both served me well with good sounds and build quality.

When younger I liked loud. But I learned you can have enough sound out the back without beating yourself up inside. Of course everyone has their own like of how much sound that is. I suggest at least one good sized muffer like a 24" long one and a resonated tip for some smoothness.

With only one muffler with these engines. You can get a lot of exhaust resonance between 2-3k rpms. With a resonator tip or resonator muffler added you smooth that out. Without losing any of the over all sound of your choice.

Basically, in my experience with aftermarket mufflers.
Loudest and lowest build quality=Flowmaster
Dynomax and Magnaflow have both served me well with good sounds and build quality.

I was thinking something along what you describe. I want something I can hear but I really would rather not deal with a noise ordinance or a friend who can't hear anything.

I started with VWs and still like them very much. I used the Type I glasspack headers then went to the flatpack muffler ones. They were still good sounds but didn't hammer me like the glasspack headers did.

I really wish I would have bought that notchback Type 3 back when they were just an oddball VW. Sigh...it was a blue German market import back in the 80s. No rust in just good old car shape.

Last edited:
Back