• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New guy here, Check out my project 242

Yea it works pretty good. Still lots to sort out with the car tho. But it is very driveable and I have had fun with it. Here's a video I meant to put up on the original post.

NOTE: This vid is from when I had just gotten it running, and it had half an exhaust and noisy valves. It runs a lot better now. And don't worry about the temp gauge being low and me revving it up. I have an aftermarket one in cause I had issues with that gauge that have since been squared away.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jJmiRt-43OU?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jJmiRt-43OU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Nice start to a project. The '83 looks good in that color, and it's clean enough that you could turn it into a real sleeper by keeping the look tasteful and/or close to stock. Have fun with it!

I wanted a challenge that required engineering and design work, not wiring and frustration.
You have more wiring scattered everywhere now than a stock system would have. I get that you want to be different and try to engineer/design something, but so far I'm thoroughly unimpressed. You've taken a decent reliable car and turned it into somewhat of a hack job.

Sorry to be a dick, but someone needed to be honest.

Man I gotta say, you really should read my posts before you make comments like that. You obviously did NOT read what I said in the first post "Please ignore the messy underhood shots. Again, I still have a lot of organizing to do" Aside from some of the colored wire which will be rerouted, a lot of that is old crap from the EFI and a/c that I haven't removed yet. I'm a 21 year old with very limited funds for this project, and have to get to one thing at time. Most of that was just to make sure my engine was gonna even run before I took time making it all pretty. And as for "decent reliable car and turned it into a hack job" the car was falling apart when I got it. What you don't you see is a chassis with every piece of rubber replaced, rebuilt driveline, completely new brake components on all 4 corners. Please take your chastising elsewhere. Notice the title says PROJECT?

Congrats on getting it running, sounds like it was just about as craptastic as mine was when I got it. That said, if carbs were available, and megasquirt didnt come with my car it would be very different today.

You have more wiring scattered everywhere now than a stock system would have. I get that you want to be different and try to engineer/design something, but so far I'm thoroughly unimpressed. You've taken a decent reliable car and turned it into somewhat of a hack job.

You're just being a dick, he's taken a roached out broken car with a blownup transmission rebuilt everything and turned it into a soon-to-be daily driver.

Nice job on a limited budget. I remember what that's like.

What are your emissions rules there in Chuck-town? In most locations with inspections, you'd never get by putting a carb on a car that was originally fuel injected with a catalytic converter and an O2 sensor.

Sorry all I am just getting back to this. Been busy with work and what not. And thanks for the support. I actually have just recently put the A cam in (it had been sitting in its original shipping box) and WOW! What a difference! Theres a reason they used them in carb'd canadian cars. The M cam made butt loads of torque off idle, but then no power past about 3000. This thing pulls much harder up till about 4.5k, and then dies off. I'm hoping if and when I put an IPD sport exhaust it will improve. I could weld up my own, but for the trouble, 200 bucks isnt bad for a pre-designed system.

And in regards to emissions in SC, we have none. Good thing about living here. Obama would have heart attack if they tested my 242 or my old Toyota truck. Both are Weber powered, cat-less and emissions less... ahhhh.. gotta love right-wing leadership. (not to mention the fact that if emissions were implemented here half the cars would be off the road.) I think this is the only state left with 15 year old Chryslers...

Sorry all I am just getting back to this. Been busy with work and what not. And thanks for the support. I actually have just recently put the A cam in (it had been sitting in its original shipping box) and WOW! What a difference! Theres a reason they used them in carb'd canadian cars. The M cam made butt loads of torque off idle, but then no power past about 3000. This thing pulls much harder up till about 4.5k, and then dies off.

That doesn't sound quite right....

Either way, if you want a B cam I've got one.

What do you mean? Remember, "pulls much harder" is a relative statement to a guy who has only once ridden in a turbo redblock brick. And it wasn't much of anything special. This thing was the fastest n/a Volvo anyone in my family has ever had, and now its that much slower! haha

quit bein a dickman

What do you mean? Remember, "pulls much harder" is a relative statement to a guy who has only once ridden in a turbo redblock brick. And it wasn't much of anything special. This thing was the fastest n/a Volvo anyone in my family has ever had, and now its that much slower! haha

The 4.5k is what I was saying doesn't sound right. That cam shouldn't die off that early.

Curious why you ditched the efi?

Several reasons I did it. First off was the fact that I don't like complicated stuff.

I always have to chuckle when I see these in a sequence, because, well... I'll just let a picture do the talkin':

Exploded_DCD.gif

Yeah, not your exact carb, but it's a carb nonetheless... EFI is very simple in comparison if you ask me.

Nice car, though! I'd kill for a 242 that clean...

I'm gonna assume theres a few reasons it dies off. One is the stock exhaust.
And two, I could up-size some main jets on the carb it get more fuel in there.
Three could also just be that this carb isn't gonna provide the fuel and air the cam needs.
I dunno. I'm still playing with it. If i don't like how this thing ends up with the carb, maybe i'll megasquirt it. But I'm not going for a fast car here, just something thats fun. And I think it looks pretty darn cool under the hood. Everyone i've showed it too likes it.

Ha, and 760T man....well ya got me there.
But these things come assembled, so I don't have to worry about that. :-P Plus this car lacks computers. Which is good. Computers like to die on me. I'm the grim reaper to circuit boards. My laptop and desktop dropped dead within 2 months of each other a while back.

But all that being said, who knows, I may switch it back over.....

Back