• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Boosted on a budget

I want to copy you 850 front, but we live too close... :( !

Yeah and we hang out everyday too..People might think we copied eachother :-P

Clean bay! Tire size/info?
205/45/16 ? Falken 512s
...correct me if I'm wrong please

You are not wrong, for once.

Yeah that's what I have on my front wheels right now. Not a ton of options in 16"

Absolutely true. It was a pain trying to find something that would fit correctly with just enough stretch.

Well, I did get to drive it but it wasn't looking good. Had some crazy boost spike. Whenever I shifted from one gear at rev limit to the next gear, I would lose spark I think and the car would jolt and buck like it hit a rev limit. That's the only way I can describe it. I'm new to boost so I have to figure this out by asking and searching for the same issues someone's had. Afr's are good under low boost and even when it spiked so the injectors and the fuel map are great!

Other than that, it's a beast from what it used to be! Definitely not 300hp but hopefully soon.
I'm going to get some new plugs and see if maybe the NGK 6's are too hot of plugs. We shall see...

losing spark, or blowing it out? how is the gap?

Well being that it keeps going right after the jolts I would say its not losing the spark but maybe going out temporarily and thats causing the lean spikes and backfire noise. Im not sure what is actually going on other than its not right. I know that doesnt help. I have some recordings that I can attempt to post here for an example.

I have to check the gaps tonight and report.

I have a not so good update.
I installed some new plugs (NGK BP7ES gapped .027) thinking the plugs were too hot.
Drove it around the block and still have the same issue.
When I slam the throttle wide open, it will start pulling hard until around 5k rpm and start bucking and wideband screams LEAN mutha fu*ka! It's like and intermittent on off switch being flicked on the engine. Driving normally it's great. Boosting it makes it angry. Anyone have any ideas????

72lb injectors. I doubt thats the issue.
The fuel pump is a new KJet Turbo pump. Should be putting out enough pressure/lpg's. Although I have not checked the pressure since my fuel rail doesn't have a valve.
Car was stage 0 and ran great prior to the +T so my issue generated after the fact...

Going off of your symptoms, I'd be looking into the fuel side of things. Spark blowing out creates more of a wall where power falls off and is a rich condition. What is the boost pressure when it goes lean? Maybe maxing out the AMM.

ECU map set up for 3" but I am usin the 016 inside a 3" housing. Could be a possibility.

When I installed the Holset in my 245 and hit spark blowout, replacing the stock old ignition coil with an MSD ignition coil actually fixed the issue. Not sure of the condition of your current one, but that fixed it for me.

I'm running an MSD 6AL with Blaster SS coil. Never had any issues ever.

Whoops. Didn't see that. Good luck with the solution. Take a piss in the St. Johns river next time you're near it.

Hmm I wonder if it could be related to the fact the battery was relocated to the trunk and is grounded to Fran and not directly grounded to engine?
Dirty river it is!

How is the ground from the block to the frame? Also what gauge is it?

Ground was built using two copper ends and 0 gauge wire. It's grounded in stock location on the block running under to the frame rail where it's drilled:tapped with a bolt.

I still think it's the amm. I am going to install a legit 012 full 3" tonight and report back my results. That's the only additional part different (other than turbo, IC, BOV etc) added to the car from the last time it was driving perfectly.

Thanks for the advice and help. Keep it coming so we can see what this thing does and so I can get to painting the car!

The ghetto paint job will be accomplished by myself like everything else an seeing how people like my work, you will see how you can do it at home yourself too!

Back