• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Guy with Old Car: P1800ES project.

Miata guy here, cool project have you put any though into what strut and springs your going to use?

Miata guy here, cool project have you put any though into what strut and springs your going to use?

I have, and my guess is that it will have to wait until I corner-weigh the finished car. Without a doubt coil-overs will be required to get the right results.

Up until last week-end, the idea was to graft Miata suspension on to the Volvo chassis. The project took a bit of a turn this last week-end in that I bought a 1990 Miata parts car.

The plan is to skin the Miata down to the chassis (as shown in this internet photo) and drop the P1800 shell on top. Will need to stretch the Miata wheelbase by 6"

1rollerside_zpsd0fbc987.jpg.html

I have, and my guess is that it will have to wait until I corner-weigh the finished car. Without a doubt coil-overs will be required to get the right results.

Up until last week-end, the idea was to graft Miata suspension on to the Volvo chassis. The project took a bit of a turn this last week-end in that I bought a 1990 Miata parts car.

The plan is to skin the Miata down to the chassis (as shown in this internet photo) and drop the P1800 shell on top. Will need to stretch the Miata wheelbase by 6"

1rollerside_zpsd0fbc987.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSC06538_zpsf4d3ca21.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Slowly getting all the spot-welds picked apart. Idea is to separate at the rear floor/bulkhead line and swap the rear clip into the P1800 as a unit.[

This will deliver suspension pick-up points, fuel system and e-brake systems in one neat package.

Last edited:
That's awesome! Looks like you have a bunch of work to do though. There was a guy somewhere that did a similar "entire pan swap" with a Lexus into an Amazon but I'm not sure if it turned out. That’s definitely more than I would venture into, but if you pull it off you’ll get a sh!t-ton of respect from me for it!

I'm gonna keep watching this one :omg:

My confidence is high that this thing will come together very well. It certainly doesn't look like it is this builder's first time at the rodeo. I personally think it's a bit sad to see one of about 8100 ESs meet this fate, but what the heck, at least it lives on somehow.:oogle::nod::) Should be very neat.

Does not look like much progress, but a fair bit has been accomplished.

The rear assembly is cut and dimensionaly defined.
I fab'd some stands that emulate the height of a 205-55-26 wheel/tire package. This way I can set the clip up and start to get 3D dimensions for how and where it needs to fit in the Volvo rear real estate.

Knowing how high the Miata clip is going to sit allowed me to set the stance of the car. I have it at 6" at the sills and the Miata clip will just fit under the cargo deck of the Volvo.

I think I can live with the 6" ride height.

And to anyone thinking of doing this...it is a ****load of work and $$$. LOTS more to come...

I have sent the rear clip and suspension of to be sandbalsted, so that will give me a few weeks to chill and plot a course of action until the stuff returns.

DSC06581_zpsc7bf7ee6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC06576_zpsf3a2803d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC06578_zps5b8d1fdd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rear clip is in place. Still a bunch of details to attend to, but it looks right at home.

WP_20140724_003_zpse0bee3be.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Im sure you have noticed but the best and cheapest route is a set of stock bilsteins revalved to your specs and use ebay coilover spring perches with whichever spring rating you would like. No more than $600 for a tailor made suspension.

Keep up the good work

Im sure you have noticed but the best and cheapest route is a set of stock bilsteins revalved to your specs and use ebay coilover spring perches with whichever spring rating you would like. No more than $600 for a tailor made suspension.

Keep up the good work

Actually...I did not know of this option. Where do I get details on re-valving the Bilsteins?

Pete

Awesome idea and execution so far. I for one love this. If you follow it through to the end you'll be making both cars better for the marriage (depending on whether you look at it as a re-skinned Miata, re-chassised 1800ES, or both).

This is so cool. You'll have to go to some event that I will, once it's all said and done, so I can see it. VARAC vintage racing festival in Lindsay-ish, or the Carlisle import/kit nationals, or that big Volvo show in waterdown. Somehow, I have to see this thing :lol:

Back