• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What year bumper to replace commandos with?

Crush your car now. The only thing better than a commando is a black gt commando.

83-85 Swedish built are the 2.5 mph bumpers. They are lighter because plastic. I put a set on my 82. Make sure you get everything like the bumper shocks and the plastic fender side guides and stays along with the trim.

83-85 Swedish built are the 2.5 mph bumpers. They are lighter because plastic. I put a set on my 82. Make sure you get everything like the bumper shocks and the plastic fender side guides and stays along with the trim.

Don't forget the whole front clip so your bumper filler trim works.

Lord help you with the rear filler trim.

:x:

Crush your car now. The only thing better than a commando is a black gt commando.

agree

however...

crush your car now because it's inevitable with such tasteful modifications like non commando bumpers on a commando 240

unless you fill in all the trim holes and tuck 83-85 bumpers like I and PO did on my 242

I have black gt commandos actually, just looking to reduce all that weight at the very ends of the car. But if it's going to ruin it's je ne sais quoi then I guess it's not worth the effort.

Lay up fiberglass inside the Commandos. Useless as bumpers. But black, holes filled, tucked in tight to the body Commando-look. 5 lbs. front, 3 lbs. rear.

Lay up fiberglass inside the Commandos. Useless as bumpers. But black, holes filled, tucked in tight to the body Commando-look. 5 lbs. front, 3 lbs. rear.

:nod:

$100 worth of materials and a toxic mess @ 17$/ hr 4 ever, and if you're keeping it really light don't forget to make some new shocks out of an old Hills Brothers coffee can.

:grin:

Nah - about $20 of Walmart Bondo brand resin/cloth. First time I’d ever used fiberglass. Piece of cake in the garage. Yes - lose the heavy shocks too, good tip - useless with useless “bumpers”...

Last edited:
If you go to the trouble of building them - you won't 'try to stand or kneel on one'...and you get used to warning others off of them pretty quickly. And if you're in the habit of trying to stand or kneel on someone else's, LOL, you're asking for a Darwin moment to occur. ;)

I never knew the story of the commando bumpers. Thank you. lol.

I like them but they are too heavy and it was easy. Some trimming of rubber and I used the commando rubber trim and just put the bumpers on. It's not a show car and won't ever be so I preferred using the older rubber trim. I think it's better trim than the newer stuff.

during the filming of First Blood a 140 or 240 blew up and all that was left was a set of perfect bumpers

Yup -- mine sideswiped by a late model Chevy pickup coming towards me. Head-on between the truck and the wrap-around end of the bumper. Ripped the Commando off the shock on driver's side; totally wrecked/twisted the shock in the sheet metal on the other side. Not so much as a scratch on the bumper itself. They are one tough aluminum forging.

As I fiddled with my commando bumpers a bit, i can say that the aluminium itself is pretty light. The heavy part is the rubber absorber on the outside and the biig rubber shocks.
But i like them in stock form, they do what bumpers should do. :nod:

As I fiddled with my commando bumpers a bit, i can say that the aluminium itself is pretty light. The heavy part is the rubber absorber on the outside and the biig rubber shocks.
But i like them in stock form, they do what bumpers should do. :nod:

I think the US version were heavier

Back