• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bought an amazon...Now what?

PunKKnuckle24

Purchased a 67 122s on a whim. I have never owned this model and I am about to start going through it. Any words of advice from you 122 guys? It has maintenance records and the PO kept it in great shape for the most part. I know it needs some brake work but what are some other common issues to look out for? It's a 4 speed with a 73000 mile b18 in it.

Mill the head a ****-ton, get some long rods and light pistons, a real cam, a pair of 45 DCOEs, some fresh bushes and springs and shocks..a Good LSD, cage it and do Chihuahua Express....a friend did 137 mph in his Amazon there...for a few miles.:badboy:

Mill the head a ****-ton, get some long rods and light pistons, a real cam, a pair of 45 DCOEs, some fresh bushes and springs and shocks..a Good LSD, cage it and do Chihuahua Express....a friend did 137 mph in his Amazon there...for a few miles.:badboy:

Good info. I'm guessing Chihuahua Express is a long downhill with dependably strong tail winds?

Eric at HiPerf auto is a superb asset in the quest for Amazon performance and maintenance. VP Autoparts in North Carolina (I think) is a great resource for all the factory correct parts and pieces that you may want to put on your Amazon. You'll find a good bunch of folks over on the Brickboard that have the 122 passion. You'll also find that parts and pieces for these wonderful, simple cars are getting rather expensive, as most of them have gone to the crusher or been filleted of the expensive bits, and then put out to pasture. Brake parts, especially for the rear axle on the wagon, come dearly. The pushrod redblocks are a throwback in technology, but are a kick. Several folks here know what it takes to make them sing, but it's not for the financially faint of heart to do so.(See John V's sage advice above.) Have fun!:)

Purchased a 67 122s on a whim. I have never owned this model and I am about to start going through it. Any words of advice from you 122 guys? It has maintenance records and the PO kept it in great shape for the most part. I know it needs some brake work but what are some other common issues to look out for? It's a 4 speed with a 73000 mile b18 in it.

to Hell with stock....

Follow the Leader

slammed-volvo-amazon-122-1966.jpg

One day I will own an Amazon and I will shoehorn a B230FT in it running on MS3 and suspension out of something modern. Mark my words (and give me 10 years to accomplish this goal)

One day I will own an Amazon and I will shoehorn a B230FT in it running on MS3 and suspension out of something modern. Mark my words (and give me 10 years to accomplish this goal)

I'm liking those more and more...didn't even know they existed a few years ago or didn't pay any attention to them....

It's a 122s. two door. I worked on it a bit today and it runs pretty well. Suspension is tired as are the brakes but the paint shines up still and it's not too far away from where I want it to be. It's beautiful. I didn't know they had this much sex appeal. I'm kinda in love.

Being a TX car I assume it's pretty rust free?

I think that's new enough that an 1800E rear axle will bolt straight in. That gives you a stronger rear axle with disc brakes. Put some 1800E rotors up front and you'll have updated to the 'new' Volvo bolt pattern, if you wanted to put some more modern Volvo wheels on it for a sort of restomod look.

Back